Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new 2002 R1 home and I love it already!! What kind of break in procedures have worked for you guys? With the fuel injection can I add a slip on without having to remap? This is my first fuel injected bike and so far I'm very impressed but I don't know that much about modifying them...Any advice you have is much appreciated...

2002 R1

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Congrats on the bike. As far as the FI, you can add a slip on with out remapping but like always you will get the full benfits of it with a power commander or something like it. About break in their is many different views on it so I won't go into it but I just varied RPM's as much as possible and changed oil earlier then the 600 mile recomendation.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes...post pics, pics, pics, pics... /images/icons/laugh.gif

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Break-in?

Just follow the manufacturer's recommendation while varying your rpms at the same time. Don't cruise at a constant speed for too long (ie. on freeways vary the speed every 5min. or so by shifting or just changing your speed).

Mods?

How much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would say DO NOT run it like the manual says. You should use heat cycles for the first few rides (I did it for the first ten rides) These rides should be no longer than 15 minutes each, and with each ride you should gradually increase the engine load so that on your last few rides you actually bring it up to redline. Check out this link, its geared around the FZ1, but so what, its the same engine. Theres a couple of ideas, I just took what I felt was the best the ideas, and made my own heat cycles. Good luck! Oh, and you can run the slip-on without the power commander, but it will be running leaner than it already is, and thats bad. You already spent over 10 g's ona bike, go ahead and get that mapped properly!

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1breakin.htm
(fixed your link - kevap! /images/icons/smile.gif)

New 2001 Black FZ1!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try to get some pics up this weekend...I just got done waxing it so I can take it for a ride tommorow...My only real complaint so far is the helmet hook under the pass seat...Thanks for all the positive responses!! I can't wait till this thing breaks in!!!!

2002 R1

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You know,
Everyone has there own way of breaking in a new machine. I've heard racers say there is a certain way to break it in to get peak performance out of the motor, and I've heard guys who've been riding for 30 years plus say that there are certain things you should do to make the motor last longer. But all in all there isn't really much you can do to the bike to screw it up in a big way. The differences are very small.
Take me for instance. I bought my R6 up in St. George Utah when I lived in Vegas back in 2000. I had a 187 mile ride home that day. I varied my speed a little, from about 60 to 75. and I never let the RPM's go over 8000. But I wouldn't say I tromped on it or was really easy on it either that day. It's been almost 2 years and I have 11000 miles on the machine and it runs and performes awsome. I go plenty fast enough. Topped it out at 174mph(indicated). The bike loves high speed and I know exactly where the power-band is and I use it to my atvantage. I tend to ride at a little higher RPM's than most people, i.e. cruise at like 6k to 7k. When I'm felling aggressive I keep her at like 10k.
I guess the only advice I can give is that you ride your bike the way you intend on using it in the future. I'm not saying to go out and do wheelies till you hit you rev limiter on the first day, or that you putt-putt around town for the first 500 miles, but that you should get to know the machine and in turn let the machine get to know you and the style and way you are going to be riding it.

Ride to ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts