Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new issue of Motorcyclist Magazine has a interview the John Bloor, owner of Triumph. Check it out, very intresting. He is quite a business minded guy, I was hoping more of a bike nut, but I am happy what he has accomplished so far.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
944 Posts
I agree. I thought it was very interesting he doesn't foresee the need to go public with the company. I kinda like that. He dropped some very interesting hints about the new Trophy and Bonnie dirivatives.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
393 Posts
To quote a movie:

"Sadly, Mr. Bloor was born without a personality."

Is it just me, or does he seem a bit dry?

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As for me, I hope he maintains his business attitude. That type of mindset will keep the company around and strong a lot longer. I'm looking forward to the 2006 Speed Triple (About when I will be ready to replace my 99).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Come on, he's British, did you expect him to have personality?? Anyway, what the guy has done is phenominal compared to a company like honda, triumph is just a blip, but look at their product line, quality and r&d!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh, I'm not complaining about the company. Heck, I own a Triumph because I believe in them (and him). I can't wait to buy my next triumph!

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WildRS, The Monty Python crew and Carl Fogarty are British, they have quite allot of personality! But your right, I usually think them as quite droll.

Triumph Sprint ST

G

·
I experienced Mr. Bloor as stoic and spin-doctorish with the MCM interviewer. Bloor couldn't own up to some of the mistakes the company has made...whatever...

I think they're product direction is emulating the Japanese products way to much, Bloor thinks that the Japanese are copying Triumph's designs....uhhhhh....okay...

I have a 98 Speed Triple, and was saddened to see such awesome design appointments vanish on their models (Air Scoops, SingSided Swing Arm, quality fit and finish, etc.)

I think the man's clueless as to why his customers have purchased his products (at least in the Daytona, Speed Triple markets anyway).

Just my comments from the peanut gallery...

"Viva Ducatisti" /images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
376 Posts
I highly disagree, I think Triump is definitely headed in the right direction. I wouldn't have bought an 01 Daytona, but jumped on the 02 because of the new technology. Comparing the 02 to the 01 is like comparing it to the Bonneville, it's all about change. Do you think Harley Davidson spent all that money developing the V-Rod to market it to the traditional Harley Rider, also, is the V-Rod the same as a pan head? Not hardly, if it werent for evolution, we would be riding Bonnevilles. It's not that Triumph is turning their back on their present customers, they are just giving us much better products and technology. Go spend some time on an 02 Daytona and you will see what I mean.
If I were John Bloor, I wouldn't feel the need to answer to anyone with the products he's putting out!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going out on a limb, but I really wish Triumph would do something different in designs and overall look. I have no problem with there mechanics, I love them. But when you look at a Aprilia, Ducati, Hardley and BMW motorcycle. Without any tags or labels, you know what it is. I think many people would have a hard time picking a ST or Daytona out of a line up. Mind you, I do not buy bikes for what others thinks, but more individuality would be a step in the right direction. Triumph show us they have that ability with the Bonneville and Speed Triple. I think that combined with there first rate engines would bring allot more buyers in. I also Triumph should always be British, that is what defines bikes these days wether they are from Japan or Italy, it is there essence. I know that will not change, but heritage is what defines them.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
'Comparing the 02 to the 01 is like comparing it to the Bonneville'

Excuse me? I have ridden the 02 Daytona and no doubt that it's a step forward in the motor department but it's a step not a night and day difference like Daytona to Bonneville.
IMHO the 97-01 T5 models represented a signifcant revolution on Triumph's part introducing a totally new engine design, EFI, new frame, up to date suspension, styling that took it's cue from the best in the market (the 916) as well as defining the streetfighter look. The 97-01 bikes moved Triumph into the performance arena. The 02 model is more like evolution mechanicly and a de-evolution in the style department. I still feel this way after a few jaunts on the 02 bikes, Triumph made a leap back in 97 but merely took a step in 02.
Finally I had to chuckle when I saw the remark about styling from Mr.Bloor. The Japanese are getting inspiration from Triumph? Please. The 97-01 bikes honestly took their direction from Ducati (not a bad thing) and the pre 97 and 02 take their cue from Kawasaki (not a good thing).

·
Registered
376 Posts
After spending 6+ months on an 02 I would have to disagree on many things, no matter how many bikes are in the group I seem to always get the average biker or general public coming up to see what the bike is because they think it is the most beautiful bike they have ever seen, a few of the guys I ride with usually stand around looking at the bike talking about how beautiful it is, but most of the conversation is about the performance, I have yet to have any bike touch it to 165, spur of the moment roll ons with any inline four is a joke, however a moded twin gives me some immediate grief. I am am actually shocked at the amount of Triumph riders that cant tell the difference between the 01 and 02, but actually I have not met alot of hardcore r-1 riders that cant tell the difference between their own brand(01 & 02 R-1) the same with the 954 in the group and its silver, I dont think they have even made a silver 929, so much for the hardcore, brand loyalty thing.
Anyway, we have alot of ST's a few 00 & 01 Daytona's an RS, when they are parked together with all the other bikes the Daytona looks nothing like the other brands, let alone the Triumphs, everyone comments that the others Triumphs look dated, but have their own great, unique styling. I think the 01 Daytona in Caspian Blue is one of the most beautiful bikes made ever.
I think the main bike that needs attention is the Trophy, what the heck were they thinking with that one, I guess it is a matter of preference though, but with the 1200 motor, their is a huge market with the right package.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well we agree on one thing, and that is Daytona's in general run better than most people think. A previous gen will hold it's own with a 929 in roll on's up until about 135 or so (at least my 98 has). Triumph's in general seem to get positive remarks from the masses. A ride doesn't go by that I don't get some sort of comment about the bike. The usual comments are about the look, the sound, or 'they still make Triumph's?'. Even the Harley riders will check it out, something they rarely do to a Japanese bike. I get cage drivers/passengers giving me the thumbs up, that never happened when I rode a VFR or ZX6R. I do get the occasional remark about what some mag has written about (i.e. too heavy, too slow, etc.). These riders are then surprised when the perceived low tech British lump bests their hypersports 600.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess we can agree to disagree. Take off the Triumph stickers and the British flag and most of the general public, regular riders and Hardley riders. They might have a hard time picking the Triumph beside a 929 and a ZX9R. All of us at this site and many others know bikes. We know what is a R1 and what is a Bandit. Mind you I have no problem with the overall look of Triumph Bikes, I like them allot, but I think the mechanics are what makes them great. I just wish they would have stuck with the 01' Daytona, Speed Triple and Bonneville route in styling. Those shine as Triumph designs.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
The entire reason why I was attracted to triumph in the first place is the Character of their motorcycles, I definatly think they took a step in the wrong direction with the Daytona, maybe it is a better motorcycle but it lost a lot of character(where did all the beautiful lines go?). The TT600 should definatly have been a triple, possibly with a single sided swingarm, maybe some other trick components to make it stand out. you can't compare this situation with Harley, all they did was take their VR race bike motor and stuff it in the same old 800lb cruiser frame for straight line performance, yay! it's not like all triumph was making was Bonneville's and then for 2002 busted out with the Daytona. No one's saying they shouldn't Improve their motorcycles, I think all we're saying is when the improvements are complete make sure when you un-veil your new product that it's still a Triumph./images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>I <font color=red>TRIPLE</font color=red> dog dare ya!!!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You gotta appreciate what this guy has done. Resurecting a marque like Triumph took a lot of balls, to sink all that time and money into a motorcycle company. He does seem a little conservative, but seems to run the company well.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The conservative tactics will serve to keep the name going. The company is privately funded and with zero debt. John Bloor may come off as bland but in the long run it has to be better than the colorful folks who ran Excelsior Hendersen into the ground.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speedtrip01, I agree with you, but a Hardley is instantly recognizable in sound and look. That is why I included them in my post. Mind you I have no interest in Triumph following Hardley, but they do have there own style.

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 19 of 19 Posts