Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

are there any riders from the San Francisco Bay Area out there, who've PAID to get their bikes jetted?

I was gonna insall a DynoJet (stage 2), jet-kit on my bike. But after talking to a motorcycle mechanic, he intimidated me.

He said that it would take THEM (a bike shop), a few hours (sometimes up to six hours), to jet a motorcycle properly.

And pricewise, he said it would be in the $450.00 range!!!

Yikes!!! I didn't know it would be that much!!

I have a 2002 Yamaha YZF 600R. And I was gonna try to do this myself. But from what he told me, there's alot of stuff to remove, drill-out, and adjust.

Is there anyone who knows of a "cool dude" (or shop), in the San Francisco Bay Area, that will do a good job at a reasonable price? (Or are ALL JETTING jobs this expensive)?

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ray, really you can not go wrong with Factory. They have a excellent method of tuning your bike on the dyno and they put gas sensors in the exhaust can so they can read what your bike is doing at all rpms. It is not cheap with anyone but you might as well get the best.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

it seems that "Factory" is a pretty reputable place.

But I have another question:

If I were to JUST get my bike jetted, would the addition of the Dyno-testing cost $100.00?

The reason I ask is because someone told me that the San Jose Yamaha dealership would jet my bike for $200.00.

But then if I were to place it on a dyno-machine to accurately check it's performance, would that be an additional $100.00?

You know, now that I'm looking-back at this thread...I sure sound cheap, huh? (I really don't mind paying for QUALITY SERVICE...and I'm not tight on money...but I don't want to throw-away money either).

Thanks for the leads guys.

I'll look more into this place...as San Rafael is only on the other side of the G.Gate Bridge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

just to keep you updated...

I called "Factory Pro" in San Rafael, and spoke to, "Raul" (the guy who does the actual jetting)...and he wanted a little over $700.00!! to do the job. (Can we say, OUCH)??!!

Regardless of my income, I thought that this was a bit too steep.

And on top of that, I have my jet kit in hand, and he said that he would not install anything but "Factory" stuff. (Blahh).

So here's where I stand...

1) I purchased the Dynojet, Stage-1, jet kit for $95.00. (Which is what Yamaha recommends...and also what Scorpion [my slip-on exhaust] recommends).

2) I've found someone in Redwood City (I can't say who, cuz they're gonna do it on the "down-low" for me, due to a personal friend I have), who will install my jet kit for $200.00. (And, "Yea"...they do the "gas-sensor-in-the-exhaust" thing).

3) And since he already has the plastics off, he will also REMOVE ALL THE CALIFORNIA EMMISIONS JUNK...and dyno-test it for me, for an extra $100.00.

Can't beat that, huh??

And by the way, he works for a motorcycle shop, and is on the "up-and-up"!! (Fifteen years experience as a motorcycle mechanic).

I'll let you know how it turns out, as I'll be doing this the next Saturday, (March 30th), when it's not raining.

Thanks again for helping me to ask the right questions!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts