Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to put full exhaust on during Break-in? My ZRX1200 only has about 160 miles on it so far, but want to put the exhaust on now, is it safe, or should I really wait until break-in completion at 1000 miles??

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey All,
If your sticking to the break-in suggestion of 0-500 miles @ 4000 rpm and 500-1000 miles @ 6000 rpm why would you want the pipe - you cant use the power range of the bike yet-- plus it might tempt you to go nuts with it. Theres going to be people who say DO IT and dog it, its ok, the bike will take it, thats ok, but its its not their bike (big difference between broken in and broken down)I would buy it and just wait...at 1001 miles - change the oil again and tell people to watch the hell out!

just a thought of my 2 cents

Jeff

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I break in all my bikes with the limits of Kawi's recommendations, but riding a bike that is so quiet scares the hell out of me! When I ride the ZX9R people almost always hear and see me, where I get noticed much less with the ZRX1200. Just want to know if it will hurt a proper break-in?

·
Registered
976 Posts
i'm going to have to say that i think most motorists wouldn't hear an ambulance riding their @$$ with the lights on and sirens blaring.

on another note, i don't think it would hurt to wait and get a feel for the broken in bike before modifying it.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't think it would hurt but I would wait until the breakin ic complete and the first service has been done before adding or changing anything.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
202 Posts
I probably wouldn't get the full exhaust put on until after break in and the first service (oil change). If you go with a full exhaust you'll want to get a jet kit installed and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable getting the bike jetted until I know it's been properly broken in. But what ever you end up doing.. Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A main incentive for installing an aftermarket exhaust is for a performance enhancement. If you install one now, you'll really not have much to compare it to, since you can't really even stretch it's legs yet. Take some time (and miles) and learn it's stock powerband and character, and if it feels weak, then install the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The only problem I see with it is exactly what is posted above... You just have nothing to compare it too. I put my full exhaust and jetkit on my R1 at 150 miles... Changed the oil at that point and started riding it like I always would, except I wouldn't lug the engine on the highway.

10,000 miles and she is fine. I put a full exhaust on my VFR at about 700 miles and she was fine when I sold her with 11,500 miles on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Ordered Akrapovic Full System from Ivans Performance today, but it will take about 10 days before I have it, which means I will probably have it broke in by then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts