Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you mix semi synthetic oil with reguler blend. They are both the same viscosity and beand. I would hate to throw away the 1 qrt. of synthetic that was left over.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Yes you can and it probably says so on the bottle.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You're defeating the purpose if you mix the oil. The whole purpose of synthetic oil is the viscosity is much lighter than regular blend so it does not cause drag on the crankshaft, robbing you of horsepower. Believe it or not, you can tell the difference with synthetic oil! /images/icons/smile.gif

I would hold onto it until you buy more synthetic oil for your bike. It doesn't hurt to mix but synthetic cost more money.../images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Semi-synthetic is half petroleum anyway, so it should mix fine. And if you mix synthetic with petroleum-based oil, won't you just end up with semi-synthetic?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Synthetic and Regular.....No

<hr></blockquote>

Not always true. I use the full synthetic Mobil 1 and it says right on the bottle
"compatible with conventional oils"

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Semi-synthetic is half petroleum anyway, so it should mix fine. And if you mix synthetic with petroleum-based oil, won't you just end up with semi-synthetic?

<hr></blockquote>

Not always the case, a particular brand of synthetic could have chemicals that react negatively with conventional oils.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey Duck on Bike, I emailed you not too long ago...I am joining the Army and had some questions about active duty life [censored]...write me back if you can...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Yes it is okay to do this IF you have to. I do not usually mix oils, only on occasion if I'm low and there is no similar brand around. It will not hurt your vehicle. Synthetics do NOT have lighter viscosity than regular oils. If they did have lighter viscosity then they would have a DIFFERENT viscosity than the regular oils all together. Viscosity is a measure of the oil's ability to flow. If a synthetic is 5W40 and a regular is 5W40 then they have the same viscosity, period.

However, the difference between a regular and a synthetic comes into the synthetic's ability to change vicosity quicker with heat build up AND its lubricity. This where the synthetic has its benefits, not in its viscosity. This is where you also get your HP benefits.

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
633 Posts
Why don't you go buy more semi-synthetic oil of the same type to make it enough for a complete oil change....

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes, most if not all synthetic oils will mix fine with conventional oils. Just keep in mind that the protection provided with synthetic is lessened. I would rather buy synthetic oil of differrent viscocity(?) than mix synthetic and conventional. Say 2 quarts of 10W/40 & 1 quart of 10W30 both synthetic would be better than mixing with conventional oil, imo.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts