Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know about you... but the last time i was THIS far over on a ducati, i was also found "chucking it at the west virginia scenery"...!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I can't really tell how well his tires are scrubbed in, but his elbows definitely are! /images/icons/laugh.gif No mirrors or turn signals - this looks like a track-bike that occasionally hits the street. My bet is it's real. It is a Duc, of course. If that were big fat cow of an I-4 I'd be more suspicious.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
When this picture was originally put to the net people were suspicious of the rear wheel being so defined...I kinda question the shadow. Not that it isn't possible but holy crap that is layed out flat! /images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts
I often have my Duc over that far. Piece of cake. Oh yea, than I wake up. I dunno, looks pretty real to me. Duc, maybe the wheel is really defined due to shutter/film speed?? I'm not a photographer, just taking a guess.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I know you can adjust the shutter speed on a camera to stop moving targets but how nice of a camera would you need to stop it that much? I'm no photographer either.

Looking at the shadows I have to wonder still. For one, all the shadows follow the curvature of the road, wouldn't they all be straight relative to the position of the sun? What about the spokes on the rear wheel appearing slightly off. Is that a person holding a cane in the first shadow after the bike or is it an alien? /images/icons/laugh.gif Blowing it up in Photoshop you can see that the tires appear to be slicks and the story behind the photo is that this guy is a local racer (where ever local is for him). I know the Ducati can get very close to the deck as displayed by our factory boys in WSBK so this isn't about the act being possible. And IF it is a photoshop job they could have done a much better job on the hillside I think. /images/icons/wink.gif

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, for the record... the hillside part is my doing. there was some random website name plastered up there. i got the pic off of sportbike.dhs.org. somebody on there commented, that maybe he's being propped up by a crate...? that sounds reasonable to me... although we know i duck is technically capable of this lean angle.

for reference, here's a larger version of my profile pic that my "wanna-be photographer" ex-girlfriend took. she took it with a canon eos film camera on kodak max 800 speed film with shutter speed set for "action" (whatever speed that translates to?). she managed to "stop" everything. from where she was able to stand at that part of the turn, i don't think i was touching a knee down at THAT point... (too much fork dive, i'm obviously still on the brakes and haven't gotten on the gas yet) but a few feet later at the apex of the turn i would.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
LOL! Sorry Shamar...I didn't know you edited the photo. /images/icons/laugh.gif That's where I saw the pic as well and I don't remember seeing anything on the hill so it didn't register. /images/icons/wink.gif

Propping it up on a crate eh? Maybe. You know how hard it is to hang on to a bike leaned over when it is stationary!? Oh man it is tough! The Philly bike show had a static Firebolt in an aggressive lean (braced with steal poles) set up so people could mount it and have photos taken. I took some photos of the people I went with on the bike but they are at home, I'll post them later. /images/icons/smile.gif

Here is the page this Ducati photo was pulled from.

http://esport.sportbikes.dhs.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayit&Picture_ID=25764

Here's a real shot for ya!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no prob j, my bad... :( i forgot to mention that. :)

oh yeah, that's right... i remember that firebolt display now that you mention it. something else that also comes to mind... is that last year, my friend an i have this special "awesome" off ramp of 195 that we shoot from time to time and he always thought... "man, why aren't we able to get a knee down on this thing...?"

so i thought about it... (hmmmn, scratching chin) and i realized, in order for us to do that...? we have to significantly increase our entry speed...!!! in physical terms, to generate the necessary component of centrifugal force to hold you up while leaned over THAT FAR is a function of the speed your carrying into and through the arc.

so anyway, we loop back around, dug into our bags of courage and GOT UP THE HEART and "stormed" the off ramp at about 70 mph (instead of 40). BAMMMNN...!!! pegs and toes dragging and knees down... we also LOADED UP OUR SHORTS too in the process...!!! LOL we swore we were about to crash. after a long morning of riding and that final success, we instantly proceeded for home. figuring our luck was bound to run out sooner or later, we thought it best start "playin' it safe". :) i didn't even have full leathers on that day... just my dianese jacket, jeans and sneakers...!!! LOL

now with that said, for that guy in the initial pic to have that angle of lean for such a shallow "sweeper" of a turn...? he'd have to be running at about 90-110 mph...? (just an estimate mind you)... and that would take MAJOR STONES being that it looks like there's a "drop off" on the outside of that turn...? not to say, that there isn't someone out there with ones that BIG, but i know I SURE AS HELL DON'T HAVE 'EM...!!! LOL and i'm known to push the envelope farther than most. :)

for more reference, here's another angle of my profile pic. also note, i DON'T have sliders on my suit. i'm dragging leather...!!! the sliders raise you up about an inch or so (notice the guy in front of me). so when most say they are "getting a knee down"... what they are doing (unlike me, LOL ) is actually "getting a puck down"...!!! LMAO so given my angle of lean (without slider) and how tight that turn was (read slow, it was almost a hairpin), it doesn't LOOK like i'm that far over... or does it...? what do you guys think...? and note, i was probably only running about 40-50 mph at that point in the turn.

science and physics answers all questions...

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Did you get on the Firebolt? I almost ruptured an organ trying to hold myself up. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

Those are some nice pics you posted! I'd love to get some like that myself but I just haven't found a good tight corner that is a) typically quiet of all traffic b) clean c) has a place for the "photographer" to park a vehicle and set up shop. /images/icons/wink.gif I got the wife out in a turn last Sunday and the one spot I found that had parking was no where near tight enough to lean the bike...I'm virtually upright. LOL

You are right about the speed being a big factor in cornering and how much lean you can achieved; that's a pretty open turn he's in and he would need some good speed to crank over that far. The only times I felt like I really had her laid out nice were in really tight 1st or 2nd gear turns. I'm sure I wasn't as far down as you in the pics but it sure feels that way. /images/icons/smile.gif

Hehe, in the left picture where you made two circle...first glance I thought you had circled your knee and elbow. /images/icons/laugh.gif

The last picture I posted has some mosterous lean! Look at the placing of his footpeg in relation to the ground; he brought his foot all the way back onto the peg to get that one in!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahahahaha... :) naw, i just went over to look and i could see how uncomfortable everybody else was and that was enough for me... LOL

yeah, i've noticed from racing, certain turns will naturally load-up the suspension front and rear (elbow down areas, LOL) and usually, it's those times when i always end up touching my toe/boot edge down first (startling me, LOL) because my feet are incorrectly positioned on the foot pegs. i hate when i do that... :( it's the one thing i always forget and it blows the turn for me every time... LOL

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
I don't know guys, that picture looks genuine to me. (He should watch his head though, being that close to the center line, we all know how cages exit turns/images/icons/tongue.gif).
The elongated shadow could be due to a low sun and those 'angles of dangles' are possible as you can see in the picture DUC748 posted... btw, that's Guss Scott from Performance Bikes magazine, a British bike mag....

ps; you should try to lean your bike over when standing next to your bike... lean it towards you untill the pegs hit the ground, you can hardly keep it up, and yes I know that the suspension compresses in a turn making the bike lower but it's still a long way over and a hell of a pull getting the bike up again!/images/icons/wink.gif

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

you should try to lean your bike over when standing next to your bike... lean it towards you untill the pegs hit the ground...

<hr></blockquote>

...and the lowers, clipons, mirrors, tail, etc...

LOL No thanks! /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
LOL!
Guess I wasn't clear on that one!
I'm not gonna explain again....

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I know what you were getting at. I've briefly thought about trying that but with my luck I wouldn't be able to get the bike back to vertical and be stuck there holding the bike inches off the ground screaming for help. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

Of course no one would hear me and my wife wouldn't return from wear ever she went for a few hours. /images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

I know you can adjust the shutter speed on a camera to stop moving targets but how nice of a camera would you need to stop it that much? I'm no photographer either.

<hr></blockquote>

I've got a Nikon N80 (considered a high-end consumer camera), with a max shutter speed of 1/4000th sec, which is easily fast enough to freeze the spokes of any motorcycle wheel at any speed. The key is to have enough daylight, a fast enough lens (which means the aperture can open to f/2.8 or wider), and fast enough film like some Kodak Supra 800. By the way please tell your wife to stay away from that Max 800 crap, the grain in that stuff is awful. Get her some real film like Kodak Supra or Portra 800 if you want some nice pics of your Duc in action. Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com if the local pro-shops don't have any. It's worth buying in bulk from B&H. Anyway, with those things working together, a top pro camera like an F100 will meter down to 1/8000th sec, enough to stop the motion of the chattering teeth of a Blue Angel pilot. /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
883 Posts

stuck there holding the bike inches off the ground screaming for help

<hr></blockquote>

You mean to tell me you guys have never droped your bike and had to pick it up? Except for the last inch, it's the same thing. Not such a great feat of strength - but put some cardboard down where it might get scratched up just in case...

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts

You mean to tell me you guys have never dropped your bike and had to pick it up?

<hr></blockquote>

When I had my two accidents last year I wasn't the one to recover the bike, my buddies were. The first time I was too pissed at having crashed and the second time I was kinda told to lay still. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

Cardboard? I'm yanking all the cushions off the sofas and loveseat if I ever try it! /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I've picked up an F4i a few months ago that fell at Thunder Hill, but then it's about 70 lbs lighter than a Duc, and has a lower center of gravity, and cheap fairings that could both be replaced for less than the price of one of mine. I almost dropped an F4i at low speeds, because of the gutless amount of torque they produce down low. I twisted the throttle and started to lean, but the damn bike didn't move. I wonder if that's why so many I-4 riders drop their bikes compared to V-twin riders?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah The F4(i) should be pretty easy, I havent droped mine (yet)....
First bike I ever droped was a BMW K75. Kinda heavy and top-heavy. I couldn't pick it up the first time I tried but the owner was there and he showed me how, laid it back down and said, "Now you try again." It was easy the second time. Next bike I droped was my own '81 CB650. Much less embarassing to drop your own cheap used bike than someone else's BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE BIKE! The next one I droped was my ZL900. The next one was.... well, never mind. Hey, can I borrow your bike for little while?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts