Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have enough information yet, but there's a very good question which has been raised by our friend the Gold Trader. He noticed (as did everyone in the L.A. area who listens to the radio, that there are warnings out about the stability of Prado Damn, north of the 91 freeway east of Anaheim. The National Weather Service advisory goes like this:

"The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a Flash Flood

Watch for areas along the Santa Ana river below the Prado Dam in

western Riverside County to the river mouth in Orange County.

A leak has developed in the Prado dam.

The size of the leak has increased overnight but an imminent

failure of the dam is not anticipated at this time.

The Army corps of engineers is assessing the stability of the dam

at this time and additional information will be available later

this morning. "

Normally, this would be chalked up to the aftermath of the heavy rainfall we have experienced in the Los Angeles Basin in the past week - when we had an entire year's worth of rain in a single week.

But, my friend the Gold Trader wonders about something else. "Get out your Streets and Trips software and measure up from the Prado Dam area to Fontana..."

"OK, lemme see....about 15 and a half miles, it looks like," I told him after some scrambling to load up Streets & Trips (which we think is the best of class for driving around, especially with our MS GPS module plugged in).

"OK," said the GT - "Click over to and look at the map... and look at the cluster of quakes we've had this week west of San Bernardino..."

"You see all those quakes up 2-miles NW of Fontana?"

"You're thinking the dam cracked because of quake related movement?" I asked.

"You're welcome to draw your own conclusions,." he advised. "But you saw the story out of India this morning at http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=62668 about the earth being raised up by the quake - or maybe it raised up first and the quake was a result."

Not bad, GT something to keep an eye on, anyway... like living in L.A. isn't enough of a "one eye over the shoulder place" enough, already. Frankly, my friend the GT may have missed his calling - geology...

And just to top it off here is a page about the strange weather patterns we are having http://rense.com/general61/CONCERN.HTM

Tumbleweed

·
Registered
745 Posts
Tumbleweed-
I used to live right there. Look on the close up map. I lived in Mira Loma. Just SE of the 60 and 15 interchange. We always knew we were totally F*CKED if the "big one" hit while we were living there. :Wow1:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
I'm always interested in weather/geologic activity. That is an interesting comment. Didn't some professional also mention that massive quake also very very slightly inscreased earth's rotation?

JM

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
it temporially lengthed the day, as eh seas rose. but i don't believe it permantly did anything, conservation of angular momentum would say that when the seas returned to equilbrium(same mass distribution as before) the angular velocity would resume its originial value, as no external force was added to the system..

picture ice skater in tight spin, she opens her arms and slows down dramatically, then pulls them back in and resumes origanal spin rate(ignoring loss to ice and airfriction)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
wingswheels said:
it temporially lengthed the day, as eh seas rose. but i don't believe it permantly did anything, conservation of angular momentum would say that when the seas returned to equilbrium(same mass distribution as before) the angular velocity would resume its originial value, as no external force was added to the system..

picture ice skater in tight spin, she opens her arms and slows down dramatically, then pulls them back in and resumes origanal spin rate(ignoring loss to ice and airfriction)

[/ QUOTE ]

:help:Get out of the house more :help:

:lol: :bird:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
its true, i really need to

i got my fluid dynamics book in front of me, but i just can't bringmyself ot get out the pen and paper and do the damn hw

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Hmm let's see, take a concrete dam that say has been around at least 50+ years and had little to no maintenence done to it since it was built then over load it with water for 2 weeks straight; letting it burst literally at the seams mind you, then claim its failing... I wonder why :smirk: :crazy:

Pahleaaazeee :rolling:

I think Forrest Gump said it best........Stupid is as stupid does. :rolling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.