Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input guys.

Since I am 19 I cant actually get any decent insurance from what ive seen. State Farm wont touch me till im 20-21 I believe they changed there polices. Geico gave me a qoute for 2k a year for just Comp. And the company i am with right now is charging me 200 a year for midrange liablity only.

I really should have thought about how I was going to cover the bike when I purchaced the dam thing. Should I just take out comp coverage for in the event the bike gets stolen, which has a greater chance of happening? Or should I just wing it and just stick with liablity because I would be paying a little over 2 grand a year for just Comp with a 1k decut.

Are there any other young riders on the site? My bike is a little hot for a newer rider and I can understand them not wanting to insure me. But when I had my old bike the GS500F my rates were going to go up 50% in New York. From 900 a year for 1k decuts to 1500. So pretty much if I got a Sv650S I would be in the same freaking boat.

I do have a full security system on the bike and a disk lock. The bike is in a locked garage in the middle of the village. Probally im going to put a lock and chain on the bike while it is in the garage exp. if I go on vacation. Since my whole school knows I have the bike I dont want anyone messing with my baby.

Happy New Years Guy/Gals! :808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Forget Gieoco or Progressive, they are way expensive for me too. State Farm is the way to go if you can get in but they might want to insure your car also to cover your bike. If you have a loan on your bike then you'll have to carry full coverage. If you don't have a loan then I'd suggest getting comp coverage also, it'll cover theft or if you drop it in the driveway. Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya the problem is that state farm will not touch me till im 20-21 for car coverage. From what i was told last year they would be able to cover me when i was 19. Im thinking ill hold off 1 more year and just use my luck and hopefully next year i will be better off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'm 21... my parents pay for my car insurance throught progessive (yes i'm spoiled, lol). when i graduate college, i'll be on my own though. then i'll switch everything to state farm.

i pay 800 a year at progressive for my bike. thats with comp, collision, etc. i have a discount because my car is with them (though not in my name). i dont think 800 is bad for me. my first bike, and i legally have no car.

so keep calling people. and call them twice too.

first time i called progressive, they quoted me like 1400 a year. i talked to a buddy's agent at farm bureau and they got me a 800 dollar policy with progressive. btw, i couldnt go with farm bureau because of the car situtation.

good luck with it though... i'm gonna be shopping for insurance shortly too, always looking for a better deal.

-dc

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
Try this company called Dairyland. I was through them for a short time and their rates weren't that bad. Now I don't know about you since your pretty young, but remember the insurance companies take dirt bike riding as bike experience. Good luck.

Not sure if this company works for NY but there is another company that does insurace just of the cc's alone called Country insurance. Everyone has been getting really good deals with them. You might want to really try them if they do insurance out in your area.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Statefarm and Dairyland are the best for bikes. I'm 21 and have been paying my everything on my own since I was 16. lol my bike insurance when I got my 600 was 2k a year. Just get a job and dont waste your money and you can do it. Pretty much thats what your going to be stuck paying unless you can get it in the parents name or something.

good luck and keep shopping around.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Yeah, whenever you call any insurance company always tell them you've been riding for 8 or 9 years...I've never sat on a dirtbike but I always tell those bastards I've been riding them for over 10 years, it does help sometimes. I don't really know what part of NY you're in but I hear insurance in general is just higher in NY...so keep that in mind when comparing rates from someone in say...KS.

I was with dairyland and I think they gave me a 10% discount for being accident/ticket free, another 10% discount for doing the MSF course and I almost got the 10% "good student" discount....that would of been 30% off, might not be much to the old timers but when you're 21 or 19 it can add up to a decent chunck of change. Those bastards at state farm told me I could get a 33% discount if I was married, assho1es. State Farms also does a 25% "good student" discount. Now that's some serious bu11shit right there... :flame:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had the "good student" discount in HS. lol it went out the window when I went away to school. Also the "stretching the truth" about how long you have been riding is almost a must. They dont really care if its on a dirtbike or street but you do almost have to have bike experience of some kind it seems.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys ill see what Dairyland insurance will do for me. It seems that they are now sentry insurance from what i saw online. In any case ill see what they can do for me.

The problem is guys any insurance agent i call does not get one [censored] about how long ive been riding or what ive done in the past. They just ask my age and then procede to tell me to get out basically. That the wouldnt/couldnt cover me till i was 20/21. State farm is a complete no go untill im 20/21 because in NY from what ive seen by talking to like 7 different agencies is that they cannot get around the car+motorcycle rule. Since they would have to put me into the risk pool for insurance on my car they couldnt do me a motorcylce qoute.

Hurm ill just have to give Sentry a call tommorow.. not like it is going to kill anything by getting a rate from them. I just dont see the point of paying 3k a year to insure a bike that is work 7K. .. there is no point at all in doing that. I am still shaky about paying anything more then 2k a year for anything less then 500 decuts. The chances of my bike being stole or totaled in my area is fairly low. Buffalo NY has a small sportbike base compared to the rest of the country. I may see 3 sport bikes on a long days worth of riding and see 200+ harleys. And the people that do have sportbikes in the area are complete idiots making my life a pain in the ass with the local cops.

*shrug* Illl relay back the rate that they give me when i call tommorow.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
because in NY from what ive seen by talking to like 7 different agencies is that they cannot get around the car+motorcycle rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definately not always true, they tried that crap with me 3 years ago and last spring. Just call around to all the state farm agents anywhere near buffalo, even if they're outside of buffalo it's self. I had 10 straight agents tell me the same crap until I found one that did....trust me, they'll give you the run around, but call them all.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have progressive. I am 24 though, I only pay $27 a month for liability. If you have medical insurance with someone else no reason to get it with your auto insurance (just FYI). My insurance is just enough to put my bike on the road legally. Any bike I will own in the near future will be paid for in full so I wont have to pay those high insurance rates. You can go to Progressives website and get their rates (and buy) over the net with out dealing with an agent. :waytogo:

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
LabRodent said:
I have progressive. I am 24 though, I only pay $27 a month for liability. If you have medical insurance with someone else no reason to get it with your auto insurance (just FYI). My insurance is just enough to put my bike on the road legally. Any bike I will own in the near future will be paid for in full so I wont have to pay those high insurance rates. You can go to Progressives website and get their rates (and buy) over the net with out dealing with an agent. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't even put the key in the ignition with only liability coverage. ANYTHING that happens with the bike (i.e. collision or comprehensive claims) would be uncovered. You're only insured for liability - i.e. the medical cost of an accident that is your fault. If you hit a BMW, you're personally on the hook for repairs. If your bike is stolen, you're plain out the entire value. I don't have that kind of money sitting in my pocket - I pay about $50 for complete coverage from State Farm and have been in the very unfortunate position to have used it. It was worth paying for.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You're only insured for liability - i.e. the medical cost of an accident that is your fault. If you hit a BMW, you're personally on the hook for repairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liability covers property damage too.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
(1) I can and do most of the work to my bike myself. So if I wreck... (2) My bike isnt that expensive, so paying full coverage is a waste. Plus I couldnt find fullcoverage that cheap, I saw quotes as high as 9k a year. I had StateFarm car insurance and I though they were a little high so I didnt look at them for bike insurance. (3) Liability insurance pays for everything done to the other person or car. It just doesnt cover you. (4) You can add theft insurance to liability.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I'm with labrodent on this one, being 22yo next month insurance is still sky high. IF I could get with state farm on a 600 it'd still be about $1,000 a year...however if I couldn't get with state farm the next cheapest company it's gonna be $2,500-$3,000 per year for comp/collision/ect with $500 deducts. So if I picked up a used 1st generation R6 for $5,000 and then paid that kinda nonstate farm money for insurance...i could of paid the bike off in just 2 years of insurance payments, theres no reason what so ever to make that kind of deal. If I "wrapped" that R6 around a gaurd rail, first I probably won't be riding for a while due to injuries or being spooked...so I'll have time to think about and save up to pay for the repairs. Then you can fix it a hell of a lot cheaper on your own with used parts, race parts, ebay ect instead of the OEM parts the dealer will use when they fix it if you go through your insurance company. Not to mention that if you turn it in to your insurance company your rates will go up, and if you're 21 or 22 or whatever you're risk for getting dropped from your insurance company is much higher, it will also make it harder to find decent rates when youre looking for a new insurance company.

If you just lowsided it going around a turn and need a couple levers and a couple fairings, if you don't care about a couple scratches you could get all that fixed for less than your $500 deductable a lot of times.

But I also see what Porradas saying, paying just $600 a year to fully insure a $6k, $8k, $10k? bike...ESPECIALLY when he just had one stolen, makes a lot of sense. I don't know how good/bad the areas in FL and CA are were you live but the bike was stolen from outside I believe. I live in a nice suburb in Kansas City, I'm sure bikes get stolen here from time to time but I'd have to believe it happens less than in CA or FL (or NY since I hear insurance rates are always higher in that state). Plus I always store it in a garage, never ride it to the mall or the movies and leave it unattended for hours a time. About the risky-est thing I do like that is park it at school for an hour, but even then it's only when I have my classes in the off the main campus police academy building :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really just think in New York I wont be able to get out of the risk pool untill I am 20/21. Something has to differ in New York from the other states that wont allow me to get into a normal insurance company untill later. If you want to have a good laugh take a guess what i pay in the risk pool for basic coverage on a 93 Lebaron Sedan.

$1,800
With good student discount and parent on policy. I am not being unsured by progressive but im being unsured what all the agents call the "risk pool".

But ill call up a few more places tommorow and see what a few other companies have to offer.

Still to give you a view from what I have to deal with my rates on a SV650 would have been near that to the Gsxr600 which is freaking rediculus. In any case I am getting a raw deal here being the only person in my family that rides and none of my parents are on state farm.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Well before I found a qausi decent deal on insurance for me on the SV I was seriously thinking about just getting a cheap(er) little cruiser to put around on for a while, 250-600size...it'd probably be real easy to get decent insurance on something like that. If you hadn't bought the SV already you coulda gone that route for a year or two until you're out of whatever it is they call that high risk pool. Do you know for sure you'd be out of this "high risk pool" by age 20/21...u might not be until 23 or more likely 25.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
If I was in Parradora's situation I would pay full coverage also. He has a more expensive bike, and $50 a month is a deal. I was just stating my situation and why I wouldnt pay full coverage. Didnt mean to come off as if I was arguing, if I did. You do have to weigh out how much your bike is worth and how much it costs to fix before you make the choice of full coverage or liability.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
LabRodent said:
If I was in Parradora's situation I would pay full coverage also. He has a more expensive bike, and $50 a month is a deal. I was just stating my situation and why I wouldnt pay full coverage. Didnt mean to come off as if I was arguing, if I did. You do have to weigh out how much your bike is worth and how much it costs to fix before you make the choice of full coverage or liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think you were arguing - our situations are quite different, as are our rates. To your point about liability - if you have say $10k in coverage and hit a $50k car, you could be f*cked even before factoring in any medical costs.

I hardly lived in a ghetto in Florida and Sunnyvale is probably LESS risky, but let's face the sobering fact that any scumbag with a van can easily take a bike. I keep the VFR in covered parking spot, snug against the wall and in the first spot nearest the building - but I damn well still check every time I leave.

I don't LIKE insurance in concept (paying for something you never want or intend to use), but I do know that it has saved my ass in the long run so far. Quote around - I had rates of over $5k quoted to me for the same exact $50 premium I ended up with. :waytogo:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts