Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By lap 7-8,it was clear that Bayliss could pass Edwards pretty much at will in race 1. With Edwards in second, trying to defend his line against Xaus he wouldnt ever be able to catch Bayliss. So in theory (knowing that Xaus is an agressive-look what I can do kind of guy) I thought perhaps Edwards shouldve let Xaus by just to see if he might slow up Bayliss as in last years final race where he damn near took him out. I know about a racers mentality-win,win,win-but its just a thoughtin hindsite.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think if you asked Edwards he would have felt that the race was still winable right until the last lap. Edwards is seasoned enough to know that points win championships and I doubt he would ever give up a place without a fight just to see if Xaus could run down Baylis. At this level of talent giving any mental edge to a rival is a bad choice. If you dont fight Xaus for the position the next time he will start the race thinking he is faster than you. Its not worth that risk. Perhaps Edwards knew no one was catching Baylis on this day and was more than happy with second. But hey thats only my opinion.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and I do respect your opinion ris996,but in the past weve seen various racers let an opponent by in order to conserve tires etc.-so I didnt think it was too crazy an idea or strategy to let the " Wild Child" by.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Interesting idea, and I see your point. The problem with that is if Colin let Xaus by he (Colin) would then have 2 Ducs to pass instead of just the one. There's also the possibilty that Xaus would be the good teammate and NOT try and pass Bayliss but instead just hold up Colin. Ok maybe not, but Xaus might have done the right thing /images/icons/wink.gif.
I don't think anybody wants to try and get by Xaus. Way too scary!
Colin is a very smart rider and was probably thinking that it was just too risky to try and catch and pass Bayliss. He settled for the 2nd place points. The only problem with that is if Colin doesn't try and win races, Bayliss might just win them all /images/icons/shocked.gif

You've gotta love Bayliss though, just a great guy. /images/icons/smile.gif

Later

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I for one don't know if I'd want Xaus in front of me, trying to run down the race leader. He's a great rider, but he has a history of pushing too hard. Keep him back there and take 2nd, or let him go and run the risk of a DNF? I love the way Xaus rides, but he sometimes pushes waaay to hard.

Bayliss is way fast. He has really impressed me thus far. He proved he's consistent last year, this year he's starting to prove that he consistently the fastest.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
To my highly UN-trained eye, Bayliss impresses me as being slightly out of control as well. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten himself into trouble yet. Edwards on the other hand is still his cool usual self.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
As much as I pull for the local California kid (Bostrom) I am again (still) really impressed with Edwards style on and off the track.... (refering to after race interviews @ phillip island)....

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
623 Posts
If Colin would have let Xaus pass him, Xaus would have gone for the race win. There are no team orders this early in the season and Xaus would pass Bayliss in a heartbeat if he could. Later on in the season, if Bayliss is leading the points race, you may see Xaus block for Bayliss but not yet. If I know Xaus, he may just take the whole lot of them out trying to pass in desperation to win.

Like you guys said, being anywhere near Xaus is way too scary and not worth the chance of losing 2nd place or even getting a DNF.

IMO, Edwards did the smart thing but I see where you're coming from.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Hey, you won't get any complaints from me if Edwards regains the championship but I'd really like to see Bostrom do well. I just love to watch him ride. Haga's new and calmer style is working for him, but I want to see passes being made while backing it in and Bostrom is the only one at this point who does it with any regularity./images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts