Sportbike Racing Forum banner

I'm buying an R6 tonight... need help...

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I\'m buying an R6 tonight... need help...

I'm buying an <font color=red>R6</font color=red> tonight and I've never bought a vehicle before so I'm kinda nervous (I'm still driving the car my parent's bought me 7 years ago and my first bike I bought cash from a friend).

I'm swinging through the dealer tonight to buy the one they have still in it's crate. Someone mentioned to me the "extended warranty" and possibly other options they might try to tack onto the price. Any opinions on the warranty? I don't know bikes to well (I can ride them, I just don't research them much) so I don't know what Yamaha's reliability is like, if the extended warranty would be worth the money.

If you've got suggestions for price haggling I'd love to hear them too. The MSRP price is not negotiable. A friend who runs a Ducati shop knows the owner of the shop I'm buying the R6 from. He called the owner and asked him to help me out on the price of the R6, but was told that they really can't. So that just leaves freight and other such charges to negotiate. Not a lot of room there.

Opinoins? Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: I\'m buying an R6 tonight... need help...

I just bought one last week and got the price of the bike down to $7495. They weren't willing to haggle too much on anything else. I ended up falling into it because I had previously talked to a salesman and I told the guy in charge that he quoted me about $8800 out the door. He said that the last one he sold went for $8845 and the guy really pushed him to drop it so I told him I would be willing to do the same. He wasn't real happy about it but they gave it to me for that anyway.
The moral is, they will probably haggle, but you have to be willing to walk away if they won't bend at all. It was also my first NEW bike and all went well. Good luck.

#3 ·

ive never payed freight, assembly and all those other BS charges.... look around, you might be able to do better... the dealer i go to, the most they will do is sell it for MSRP. But on a bike like the R6, not a new design, they will easily sell it for $7500 and  off on any accessories you buy through them, and thats not even trying. NO FREIGHT, NO ASSEMBLY fees... id look around. as far as the extended warrenty goes, thats up to you. the R6 is a very reliable bike, and it is not a new model year for it. do you plan on owning the bike for awhile? it is a gamble, but one major repair and the warrenty pays for itself. also, the warrenty pays for the first 600 mile service, that nock that off the price too.

sometimes you just have to say "what the fock"!!

#4 ·

Dealers get reimbursed for freight and assembly, so don't let them pass it along to you. Also, tell the guy a new R6 is coming next year so nobody is going to want the "old" R6. Just stand your ground, and if they won't budge you WALK. Period.

#5 ·

Great suggestions. You reminded me of what I read in another post a while ago... someone said that it's rediculous for them to charge hundreds for "assembly" when it only takes a few hours and their per-hour cost for labor isn't enough to warrant those prices.

As far as shopping around... I'm stuck on buying from this one place. I've been to a few dealers (for an oil leak on my 250 and while shopping for a new bike) and this place has treated me so much better than any other place. The first place I took my 250 was horrible, all the guys calling me "Babe" in every other sentence and dismissing me as just a girl. And the other shops I've looked at just didn't care to talk or help me out at all. This place though, EVERY guy in there that I've talked to (in service and in sales) has taken the time to talk to me about the bike, about my riding style, and just generaly hung around and BS'd with me about bikes. They're getting my money... I just don't want them to take all of it. /images/icons/crazy.gif

Okay, I have to be strong, have to stand my ground.
And no drooling as soon as I see the bike. That might be a dead give away that I'm an easy sell. /images/icons/wink.gif

#7 ·

Without reading anybody else's posts ( and they are good at this) I've never been charged freight for any bike I've bought (that's negotiated) and Prep is negotionalble depending on what you're buying. (did I spell that right?) As per the extended warranty, I think It's ok unlees you compromise it with accessories. Also, you have a year to choose this option and can pick up the extended warranty after thus date.

#8 ·

Just focus on the out-the-door number. Let them juggle the numbers behiend the scenes. You shouldn't really care if they charge 0 or 2,000 for prep if you get OTD for what you want.

Forget about the extended warranty, it's a rip-off. Chances are you will be stepping up to a R1 or will have totaled the 6 before the normal warranty runs out!

Good luck.

Life begins at 150.
http://www.teamotsr.org

G
#9 ·

"or will have totaled the 6 before the normal warranty runs out!"

LMAO. /images/icons/crazy.gif I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess the insurance won't reemburse me for an "extra" like that.

Well.... they pretty much screwed me over. I tried the whole "put my foot down" thing... but they were dead serious about not budging on the base price, freight, and assembly. I started to argue but he just looked me straight in the eye and said flatly "this is what we charge everyone for every bike." Without the extended warranty I'm still getting out the door for under what I had expected I might have to pay.

They worked up all the numbers for me last night, but I'm not actually buying it till tonight. I need to take that figure to my bank at lunch today to get the loan check to take back to the dealer tonight. And unfortunately it's raining here all day today, so I won't ride it home until tomorrow.

Now the big question is do I want the extended warranty. It's got a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, and the extended warranty is 3-years on top of that. Any thoughts? I don't know bike mechanics well enough to guess what could go wrong in the next four years to necessitate me using the warranty. Or how much it costs to have things fixed and if those prices justify a $550 extended warranty.

#10 ·

I got a 2-year warranty when I bought my used 2000. It has already saved me the cost of a cam chain tensioner and a black box. It is about to save me some more money cause the black box replacement didnt solve a problem Im having. Then again, my bike has 21K miles on it. I doubt you will have any problems with a new bike. However, the warranty is transferrable so if you sell it you might be able to charge a little more and get your money back. Tough decision... you probably wont need it but it is nice to have just incase..

#11 ·

The warranty all depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike. I got it on mine because I plan on keeping it for a long time and if anything should go wrong I have the warranty. Luckily mine was about 470 and covers 5 years total.

#12 ·

The warrenty probably depends on how long you plan to keep
the bike.
Remember you should be able to purchase the extended
warrenty any time before the original warrenty expires.
So you have up to a year to think about it.
They might have forgot to mention this though.
Ask them.

"I wanna be a Kawboy baby... with the throttle rolled back and the front wheel flyin'..."

#13 ·

Mary if you can, deal with cayle. I bought my 2000 yzf 600 used from ECM. he was great and dealt really well with me. I don't know how much room he will have on a new bike but he gave me a great trade on my cruiser and came down some on the used bike too.

G
#14 ·

I have been dealing with Cayle. Nice guy. Though he still didn't give me any breaks on prices.

Well, after tomorrow morning it will all be said and done. And I'll be out on my new <font color=red>R6</font color=red>! /images/icons/smile.gif I'm taking the day off to pick up the bike and ride for a few hours. It's only supposed to be about 50 degrees... but warm fuzzy thoughts about my new bike should keep the cold from getting to me. /images/icons/wink.gif

#17 ·

CHANH you little dog eating gorilla pestering man how are you long see no time

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.