Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. What are the pros and cons of ignition advaancers? I want to put one on my RR. Do they help throttle response? Do the decrease plug life? Do they cause the engine to run hotter/cooler. Do they bring the power curve down to the mid range? I dont think I would advance more than +2 or +4 degrees. F4i Racer? Anyone?

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I'm not sure on a 93, but most bikes have thier ignition retarded quite a bit to pass emissions. They will usally make a difference, particularly if you have pipe and jetting. For the $40 or so they cost I consider them a cheap upgrade. Get a Factory adjustable one. $10 more than a fixed. If you have nothing done to the bike, go 1, maybe 2 degrees.

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Suposedly its one of the best bangs for the buck on a carburated bike. I had one on my f3 and vtr , best 50 bucks I ever spent on those bikes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike has an erion full exh system. It also has the factory air box kit with a jet kit. It does has the vance and hines powerpak ignition box, but I've been told with the mods I have, the stock CDI will actually work better. I think I would get the adj. advancer, but just need to know if its worth the $60.

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
get the -4 degree advancer if you go +4 you will retard even more and the idea is to advance the timing thus having the ignition go farther before TDC thus - degrees not +

after the short lesson in correct bike lingo id say go for it it will not harm your bike band give it a bit more at the top and a little less down below

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think when they say "+" degrees they are referring to advance and the "-" as retard.
Most aplications listed are "+"

Fil
98 Honda VTR1000
SuperHawk

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
fil indeed but basic math will show the error in that

folow me a bit will you
hypotethical figures to be used

the ignition is stock 6° before TDC or -6° now -6° +4° = -2° or you retarded the ignition but if you take -6° -4° = -10° or you advanced the ignition therefore an advancer is always -X° never +X° thats basic math and basic mechanics

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
117 Posts
Right, I understand. I am just saying they are wrong in how they label it. But I am sure when they say +4, it causes ignition 4 degrees earlier, -4 in reality.

Fil
98 Honda VTR1000
SuperHawk

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
fil indeed they mean 4 extra degree advance with the +4 but that is something that has always botherd me. in school they give you an F for such a mistake and still each and every aftermarket manufacturer puts it wrong on the labels.

BTW i just love to argue /images/icons/laugh.gif /images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think i see what hell devil is saying, but when you buy an advancer you want to buy one that is +2 or +4, not -2 or -4......the - advancers retard the ignition...not advance.
Or did i totally miss what you were saying?

Mike
92 CBR 600F2
"95% of Harleys are still on the road today.
5% actually made it home"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok you guys are as confusing as hell. In the manufactures book +4 means to advance the ignition timing 4 degrees......Im pretty sure thats how an advancer works. I dont want to retard the timing, thus the power would start coming on much later in the revs.........

·
Registered
442 Posts
exactly

Mike
92 CBR 600F2
"95% of Harleys are still on the road today.
5% actually made it home"

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
before the posts got deleted there was a post in the Tech forum about ignition advancers and here's some stuff I wrote down about them that I learned from the replies: they fire the pistons earlier, give about 1.5 rwhp or so, and if they're not set right they could burn a hole in the cylinder wall

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
==The bike has an erion full exh system. It also has the factory air box kit with a jet kit. ==

You have all the right mods to take full advantage of the advancer. I had the same on my 98. If you have the airbox kit, then I would say go 3 or 4. Get the adjustable one so you can experiment. I ran 4, but I had more displacement than the 93. So start at 3.

As for + or -. The "Factory" adjustable has holes marked + and some other holes marked -. Move it towards the +. (Hell is complaining about Factory's terminology. Just follow the +'s!)

I'm not sure why cbrf293 had a decrease in throttle response, but I had a noticable increase in response.

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts