Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's a pic of my bike, not the best, but I'm at the office so I had to use one I already posted.

I'm putting new tires on her before the season and I figured while I have the wheels off I might as well paint them. I'm thinking flat black would look waaaaay better than white, not to mention the hassle of keeping white wheels clean.

Here is my thought process on painting them. Clean them super good..no dirt/grease. Scratch the surface up with some sandpaper, couple coats of rattlecan primer, and a few coats of rattlecan flat black. Baddabing baddaboom..new wheels.

Does this process sound like it would work? I don't want the damn paint peeling off after I put the wheels back on. Also any alternative suggestions for colors and/or photoshop jobs are welcome! :waytogo:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
If you are going to go the rattle can route, I would suggest going to a speciality auto paint store for suggestions on what to use for paint.
I've used PPG, the sister paint to Deltron. The Deltron will be more durable but it's going to cost you.

The store you use can put the paint in rattle cans for you.

You need to tape up your bearings so you don't get paint in there.
You might also want to check into having them painted. It may not cost that much and the results will be better.

I bought a HVLP gun from Harbor Frieght for under $60.00 and painted my own bodywork. The finish was pretty darn good for a first time painter. The paint was the most expensive part of the deal. I think it was about $180.00 for 3 colors/reducer/clear coat.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Gloss black might look better than flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, I think you're right...cause the frame and most of the other black paint is gloss. Although, it's dirty most of the time so it's hardly "glossy" per se. :smirk:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.