Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new helmet today. Thought I may share. This is what I got.

-Description_High performance race and street helmet. Sculpted rear shell to enhance high speed stability
-Construction_Two shell sizes. Shell manufactured from advanced laminated Tricomp and epoxy resin material utilizing high vacuum pressure and temperature controlled bag-molding technology. Precision water jet and laser technology finishing provides state of the art shell consistency.
-Inner Shell_High density EPS energy absorbing inner shell in multi-sizes.
-Interior_Fully removable, washable, and replaceable ULTRAUX hand stitched consort liner in contrasting stone and ash gray colors. Ergonomically engineered for outstanding comfort, breath ability and durability. Features AIRNET gauze sections for maximum air circulation. Providing ultimate rider comfort.
-Ventilation_Dual top air intakes with open and close rear exhaust port. Open and close chin bar venting system with separate open and close shield demisting port
-Shield_Injection molded optically correct 2mm polycarbonate complex curve shield. Shield type fits KBC VR/TK models. Genuine shields in mirrored, clear, and tint colors. Other colors are available dependent on national legal restrictions.
-Retention System_Double chin strap retention.
-Standard and Homologations_Snell, DOT, BS 6658 TYPE A, EC22/05 and ACU approved.

What really sealed the deal on this helmet was that KBC liners are removable and they offer different size liners so you can get a perfect fit. I am excited. :grin:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
So far the racer-1 is the only one id buy from them , ive seen the cheaper ones come apart when they hit the ground

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm not familiar with KBC eather, but I'm not familiar with any brands besides the ones I see from time to time at the local shops. And even then all I know is what I see. All I know is that I couldnt afford a Shoei or a Suomy or any of those helmets that cost anywhere from $500 to 1k+. This one had a race design, breath guard, removable liner thats has different available sizes, and met all of those safty standards and stuff. I liked the way it looked so...... I had to order it, so I am still waiting on it. But once I get it I will write a review on it. :smile:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just be carefull that its not the kind that just makes the one size shell and you fit it by getting different liners. I know Shoei and Arai have different size shells for different sizes so if its just to get a precise fit probably ok but if they only make one size shell I think its unsafe.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I did a review of this lid HERE , I like mine so far, the other stuff I've seen on the internet has been real positive. I think the liner is the most comfortable fabric I have ever felt in a helmet.

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
i´m wondering if the paintbrush-style is clearcoated - if so, it would look cheap i guess, if not, it would make a cool army-style-lid... /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
the green turns me on... :waytogo:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it in the mail today! :laugh: It is flat, not glossy. But its not painted eather. It has a rubber/plastic type finish that was printed on by some type of computer printer. Neat stuff. It looks great! The helmet fits like a glove! I have worn my neighbors Shoei before and I would have to say that the comfort is equal, maby better [his was a size to large (I wear L it was an XL) so I aint going to step out on a limb]. I am very pleased so far. The weather was really nasty today so I havent been able to go for a ride with it on yet.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went on a ride today in the cold to test the helmet. It was great except for one thing, it fogged easily. Today wasnt the best conditions, 40 degrees, very humid, and cloudy. Probably the worst conditions for fogging. When I got home I looked at it to see how the front vent works. The front vent when opened is made to direct the air in front of the breath shield onto the face shield.

^Here is a pic where the air comes in.

^Here is a pic where the air should come out.
When I looked I noticed that the openings where almost sealed shut. When I was riding opening the front vent did help some, so some air was getting through. But not the amount that I think was suppose to. (I read somewhere that fogging was a prob with this helmet so I am going to post a fix for the prob.)

So this is what I did. I took the small blade on my razor sharp pocket knife and shaved the edges of that face shield seal to enlarge those vent holes.

^Here is a pic of what I did.

^And here are the holes now. Much bigger.
This should help alot. This could prolly be a fix for many helmets.

Besides the fogging I would give this helmet a great review. Its very stable at high speeds and comfy. Fogging was my only complaint, and the conditions were harsh. The more expensive helmets my have better graphics but I am pleased with these. Prolly couldnt buy a better helmet for the money.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have 2 KBCs. I like them both for fit and comfort but man the wind noise is pretty loud. I think I will buy a diffrent helmet next time to cut down on the wind noise. BUT, I still like the KBC and would buy another.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wind noise isnt loud at all to me in mine. But my other helmet sounded as if a tornado was in your helmet, and thats the only other helmet I have to compare to, at speed. The KBC I have does have that extra flap/skirt thing on the back of the neck to block the wind. And it has pads on your ears so that helps. It's quiet to me. In fact it was weird not to hear all the wind when I was riding with it, and it cut the wind really well so I sorta' had to adjust for a second. I looked at some guys helmets that I met today. One Suomy and a Arai. Theirs had better vents at the top of the head, and mouth. Plus theirs didnt have the same problem as mine with the shield vent. But theirs cost more. So I aint complaining.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts