Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally sold my 2000 zx7r and got me a 2001 red 748 bi-posto so far i love it. any break in tips and how much will the first service cost me??

even your garage door goes up and down a little faster with a ZX7R inside.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations! You now have a gorgeous piece of art and masterpiece of technical engineering. With a little TLC, you shouldn't have any problems. Break in is pretty easy. Keep the front wheel down until you hit 800 miles, and don't go passed the 11,5 redline! Make sure she warms up to at least 140 degrees before you ride. Watch out for the radiator reservoir. It WILL crack. Mine went out around 4k miles. My husband's at 5k and my friend Steve's at 2K. It's under warranty, so you shouldn't run into any hassles. Put a set of carbon pipes on her if you can, that way your friends will know that a Duc is coming down the road!

Lisa http://communities.msn.com/DFWDucatiDOC

p.s. you're going to have to change your tag line now!

Lisa
- Loving every minute of it!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Man, congrats on your purchase. Sorry I can't help you with the service cost. 4-valvers cost more than my econo-Duc. But, there are lots of great people on this form who can shed some light on this topic... Enjoy and be safe.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
well alright...!!! catt, i do have to admit... i had pretty much given up hope on ya there for a bit... LOL

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! The first service cost me about $130 and that was with a price discount. Your shop may very.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL!!!

After putting 100miles on the bike my 1st week, we decided to break it in and took a nice easy ride up to the mountains, rode the BlueRidge Parkway... all in all put in another 700miles that day.

Took it to the dealer to have the break-in oil changed and found that I only had about 2quarts left in the engine!

That break-in oil is pretty thin and can run out in a heart beat... watch your oil level.

M.

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I've now done 800 miles on mine and up till now it's a great bike! Keep an eye on the oil sensor on the right side of the engine, near the oil filler, they can turn loose...

Why are we all mentioning the bad things to a newcomer btw??? Or should we consider them as tips?/images/icons/tongue.gif

Again, congrats zx7rcatt! I stepped of a ZX7 as well before my Ducati experience, haven't regretted it once!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
They are definately tips Pimmie. /images/icons/wink.gif I never had a problem with the oil level or sensor on my bike.

One more tip, make sure your bike isn't part of the clutch slave cylinder recall (for 2001 model year bikes) and if it is have the dealership get you the new part.

Let's see some pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts