Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! While the site was Tom Union, I got my track bike. It's a '97 GSX-R 600, with a fresh '99 motor. Bone stock motor and exhaust. Bike has Sharkskins bodywork on it, fully safety wired, and Michelin slicks mounted. I am asking for some insight from everybody that has raced one of these. What are some of the things to look out for, or problem areas. Any suggestions on which exhaust systems the motor seems to like, jet kits, or any other motor bits seem to work really well with these. Are the motors finicky about anything, or are there any chronic things to look out for? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

<font color=blue>JSmith</font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=red>Mile High SportBike Association (MHSBA)</font color=red>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a good bike. Its hard to beat Yosh for exhaust systems. I'd also get a a Factory jet kit. But the first thing I'd do is get the suspension done - either Traxxion or LE for the forks and a Penske, Ohlins or Fox on the rear. Then I'd work on set up. Get your bike feeling like your bike - handlebars, rearsets, ride height, spring rates, tires, brakes, damping settings etc... Mostly spend the time at the track getting it dialed. Also since you're from Colorado join the MRA and take the rider cert school from Mark Schellinger. Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
congrats.....now time to drag the knee and back into corners like Haga!/images/icons/smile.gif

Your signature here

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I would get the Yosh MJN jet kit to go with whatever pipe you want. Also look at raising your rear ride height (may necesitate a new shock) also if you are looking for a few extra ponies try a higher grade fuel such as VP or Nutec. Remember though if you use these fuels you should drain the bike after the race as the stuff is highly corresive.
YOu should probably get a variety of sprockets and experiment your gearing. Different tracks and riding styles
will require different gearing. Check with the local racers at your track and see what they are running and see if that works for you.
I would also start scrounging for spare parts as you will be crashing.

If you are not on a excerise program do so now. Be prepared to spend lots and lots of money that you probably do not have.

Good Luck

its all in the transitions

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
yosh is what i have on my race bike but id go hindle next time that yosh jet kit is a waist of $$ just get the factory or dynojet kit . Just whatever you do get a full system or just run the stock one till you can . Other then that ride the piss out of it and get the suspension done , hell id do that before i bought a pipe

Im ganna feel this in the morning

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I had the dynojet and it blew never ran right with it. switched to the yosh and the problem was solved. Though i since replaceded the bike with a fuel injected model i still think the yosh is much better than either dynojet or factory.

Craig #222wsmc

its all in the transitions

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I first started racing everyone said go with Hindle, but I like so many other people out naturally think Yosh. Hindle pipes a only 2lbs more than a full Ti exhaust and they make power on older Gixxers. The Only down side is they get that low weight through thin tubing which doesn't crash to well. Plus Yosh pipes are rebuildable piece by piece. It's your choice. If you really want to go fast though, buy a slip on and use the money you saved to have the shock revalved/replaced, rework the forks and take a good riding school. A good suspension will allow you to probe your limits, more horsepower usually at best just masks riding errors. After a season or 2 at least change the valve springs if not the rings also. watch for metal in the oil from missed gear changes. Early signs are, popping out of gear (usually lower gears) and repeated missed shifts. Left unchecked could cost $$$. Good luck and rember to hold your line and get used to people passing you for awhile, it takes time.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Congrats Dude!!! Way to go man! Glad you kept it in the family /images/icons/wink.gif being suzuki and all /images/icons/smile.gif.

I had good luck with the dynojet jet kit on my F3, ahh, the good ole days, we had some fun man /images/icons/smile.gif I wanna come watch you at the track, so leme know when you go dude!

Duane

<font color=red>The dark side awaits you...Are you prepared?</font color=red>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts