Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to adjust the height of the pedal without actually taking the pedal off. I didn't realize how weak the aluminum was and the pressure I put on it twisting the bolt snapped it. 57 bucks for a new pedal + 2nd day air to get it here before monday = lame.
:frown:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i dont get it , what bolt , how freaking ard were you twinsting , thats a forged pedal , also the stock one should work fine till you get a replacement . Last there is no reason you should have to pul the pedal to adjust it

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wasn't twisting that hard. It snapped at a thin point in the aluminum that connects the part of the pedal that actually pushes up on the brake cylinder to the foot pedal. It uh... looks like a pretty weak connection... but then again it clearly wasn't designed to be twisted in the way I was twisting it I suppose. Aluminum is not that strong of a metal. I am sending it into vortex so they can decide whether or not it was a manufacturer defect.

In the mean time I ordered a new pedal from vortex as I do not have the stock parts, I bought the bike used with the vortex rearsets already on it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ask the mfg what the proper torue for the bolt is. That way in the future you can use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt without snapping parts. Aluminium is indeed easier to break than steel and if you were using a regular 8" socket driver wrench, that's a lot of leverage you had going.

Michael Means

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I know what you did , probably loosening the jam nut you didnt use the exra wrench to hold the top where it goes into the mastercylinder , there is actually a groove in the shaft up there for a probably 10 mm wrench .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts