Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here i am putting on my exhaust right after i take my bike to a local dealer to get the first service on it. I noticed there was little oil on the end of the oil plug. I thought nothing of it because they had just changed the oil.

Well tonight when i was tightening up some bolts, i noticed more oil on it. I put my hand on it and noticed it was loose. Then i looked closer and noticed that the bolt was in sideways. THEY PUT THE OIL PLUG BACK IN CROOKED. I could turn it with my fingers! I tried to tighten it but all it did was spin!! can you beleive that!

little drops of oil are coming out of it now. I am definitly going to call the dealer back. But I don't even trust them anymore. I didn't buy my bike from them, I only took it there for the first service. The guy made a comment before of how they would never work on a bike if they didn't buy it there so i wouldn't go somehwere else and buy it. What should I do????????????????? I don't trust them, i am even afraid to leave my bike there to have them work on it!

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
What's not to trust? Either they fix it properly, or they fix it incorrectly. I'd get them to fix it (no hela coil, they MUST replace the oil pan). If they don't fix it you can take them to court. Let them know that.

When they replace your oil pan, find a different service department.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'd take it there again. And if they don't fix it don't pay or get your money back. And if they refuse to refund your money take them to court. Preferably Judge Mills Lane/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok though question, what if they offer to put another insert in there without replacing the oil pan, should I take it? Whats involved in changing the oil pan? I don't want them to take apart more then they have to. Should I let them just put the plug in? Will it be just as good?

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm guessing I know which shop you went to, can't say that it really suprises me. You have the ball in your court, you can be as passive or aggressive with them as you'd like. It all depends on what kind of relationship you want to have with them in the future (ie maintainence, new bike purchase, gear purchase, etc). If it were me (and it has been before, very similar case), I'd let them make the first offer. Let them know how disappointed you are and see what they offer to do to correct it. Depending on the attitude of who you talk to, you make the next move. You can unload on them and force them to change the pan, or you can tell them you'll try the plug, but if it doesn't work, you want the pan replaced.

Tough break for sure, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes BJ it was Struthers! I could care less about any further relationship. All they do is screw guys over left and right anyway. Its a shame. Anyway, I am goign to call them today. wish me luck!

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Also why I do all my own work. IronmanR1, that would really piss me off too. I can't believe some of the things dealerships manage to mess up. Number one rule is always tighten by hand before you take a wrench to something!!! Stupidity, that's all it is. At least you still have a bike. My friend took his 929 in for a 600 mile service and when he went to pick it up, he didn't have a bike anymore. One of the mechanics looped it on a test ride!!! The engine case cracked where the swingarm attaches to it, they said they would weld it back together. He said no and bought a new bike. He finally settled out of court for $5000 of his $11,000 bike. I hate dealerships.

My toys

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called them yesterday and they came to pick it up immediatly. Then he said"i don't know how this happened it wasn't like this when i worked on it". I was like are you nuts! you think i did an oil change on it with less than 100 miles on the new oil? But you have to take it to a ceritified dealer for your first service OR your warranty will be void. I was pissed. Those guys are asses!!!!!!! Anyway, i do all my service myself except for this.

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Stand outside of the dealership with a big sign saying how they Fu__ed you. This will get their attention real fast. Also tell them you will tell everybody you know that they suck hairy ass. Word of mouth can hurt a business. Good luck and dont let them screw you over!

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
What serp said.

I swear I don't understand how they can charge so much and then have some high school drop out mess up your bike!

I would rather agonize over the shop manual for two hours trying to figure it out myself than let those bastards touch my bike. At least when I work on it myself I know that I'll put some EFFORT into doing my best...even if I"m clueless on how to do it!

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
my buddy took his honda 250r cylinder into the local shop to get honed($30). needed crosshatching back. instead they bored it .80 over on a stock cylinder,honed it and ordered a wiseco piston. total now being $200. that was a very interesting conversation. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts