Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have moved from Salt Lake City to Seattle last weekend. I heard that it rains all the winter here and difficult to ride my motorcycle...

Howz it like riding in Seattle? Is it something that I cant ride till march or April??

Please let me know and let me know places to check it out..

Thanks a lot..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I live in Buffalo so we pretty much have the same weather conditions. this year i rode from early march till late november. rained like hell in the summer though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
This year seems to be wetter than the past few recent years... although this winter is probably more typical as to what it's like here.

If your attitude is optimistic you can have a good time. But if you think it sucks all the time you'll probably hate the winter.

I commuted all year round here in Seattle, and would do the occasional weekend ride (at a leisurely pace). I recomment Hwy. 101 and Hwy. 112 out towards Neah Bay on the Olympic Peninsula; Chuckanut Drive in Bellingham (to include Hwy. 9), and Independence Valley south of Olympia.

I'll be happy to show you these roads over the next few months. Though it's best to avoid the best roads right now, which are being covered in snow.

Don't forget the International Motorcycle Show this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
I moved from Seattle about 4 years ago. My friends and brother still ride year round up there. If you live out of the city, but commute in I would recommend the bus or the bike.

My brother rides his bike almost all year into Seattle, except for the icey/ snow days or some other odd days. It is free parking for bikes downtown. Where as with cars you have to pay so he rides the bus the other times. It is one of the cities that is actually working on promoting riding by having the free parking because they are better for the environment.

Nice to see, cause down here they could care less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
It is free parking for bikes downtown. Where as with cars you have to pay so he rides the bus the other times. It is one of the cities that is actually working on promoting riding by having the free parking because they are better for the environment.



[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are thinking about a different Seattle. Maybe it was like that before but not now.

There are plenty of days between the rain to go shake the cobwebs off of the bike but I deffinetly wouldn't be railing anywhere until Spring. I love Seattle because when you do get nice weather, it more than makes up for all of those dreary days. :809028-ridin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
You can definitely ride year round if you want to. I did it all of last year and would probably do it this year but I live 1 block off the bus line and I can't afford anymore UW Parking Nazi tickets. If riding in the rain isn't your thing, I'd say you get at least 1 good riding day every 10 days or so. And repeating what was just said, when you do it a beautiful day here, just about nothing can top it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
roadkillr6 said:
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
It is free parking for bikes downtown. Where as with cars you have to pay so he rides the bus the other times. It is one of the cities that is actually working on promoting riding by having the free parking because they are better for the environment.



[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are thinking about a different Seattle. Maybe it was like that before but not now.

There are plenty of days between the rain to go shake the cobwebs off of the bike but I deffinetly wouldn't be railing anywhere until Spring. I love Seattle because when you do get nice weather, it more than makes up for all of those dreary days. :809028-ridin:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am talking about now. All my friends and brother up there still ride pretty much year round. They just have rain gear that they take off when they get to work. They aren't riding hard, just commuting to work.

By the way how does the weather change so drastically in 4 years? I spent the first 26 years of my life there and all my family is still up there. Not much has changed for the weather, now if you are talking traffic, housing prices, and urban sprawl that has changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
[ QUOTE ]
roadkillr6 said:
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
It is free parking for bikes downtown. Where as with cars you have to pay so he rides the bus the other times. It is one of the cities that is actually working on promoting riding by having the free parking because they are better for the environment.



[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are thinking about a different Seattle. Maybe it was like that before but not now.

There are plenty of days between the rain to go shake the cobwebs off of the bike but I deffinetly wouldn't be railing anywhere until Spring. I love Seattle because when you do get nice weather, it more than makes up for all of those dreary days. :809028-ridin:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am talking about now. All my friends and brother up there still ride pretty much year round. They just have rain gear that they take off when they get to work. They aren't riding hard, just commuting to work.

By the way how does the weather change so drastically in 4 years? I spent the first 26 years of my life there and all my family is still up there. Not much has changed for the weather, now if you are talking traffic, housing prices, and urban sprawl that has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be why I didn't quote your whole statement :bird:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Ahh...sorry. I will read better next time.

As for the parking I was talking about near the buildings downtown, not at the U. Parking is a bundle for cars per month, but around where I used to work and my brothers work now they have free motorcycle parking. Also when I worked on the east side they had motorcycle parking right up front at the buildings I worked at to encourage riding. I visit there still and see the spots still there.

Just stating it was nice to have cause down here there are no perks for motorcycles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,181 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisW said:
I live in Buffalo so we pretty much have the same weather conditions. this year i rode from early march till late november. rained like hell in the summer though

[/ QUOTE ]

:808875-bs:

Seattle and Buffalo may be at about the same latitude, but their climates couldn't be more different. Seattle's winter climate is actually more like Atlanta, GA. Some rain, yes, but not terribly cold and only occassional snow. Actually, I think Atlanta gets more average annual rainfall than Seattle.

The nice thing about Seattle (and the PNW in general) is that the summer isn't terribly hot, and during the summer it just doesn't rain at all.

Of course, compared to SLC you're going to see a LOT more rain. Seattle is a lot warmer in the winter than SLC, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KeithU said:


:808875-bs:

The nice thing about Seattle (and the PNW in general) is that the summer isn't terribly hot, and during the summer it just doesn't rain at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok now I will raise BS on that. I will say it is a great place in the summer, but to say it doesn't rain at all. Now we all know it rains in the summer up there, just some years are better than others. Hell it even rains down here in the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,181 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
Ok now I will raise BS on that. I will say it is a great place in the summer, but to say it doesn't rain at all. Now we all know it rains in the summer up there, just some years are better than others. Hell it even rains down here in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take my word for it:

NOAA annual precipitation averages

Average July precipitation (in inches)

Atlanta, GA - 5.12
Portland, OR - 0.72
Dallas, TX - 2.12
Salt Lake City, UT - 0.72
Seattle, WA - 0.79

So yes, on rare occassion you do get summer rain in the PNW, but it's about as common as summer rain in Salt Lake City. Texas cities get on average at least twice as much summer rain as PNW cities.

FWIW, Seattle is also warmer in the winter than most Texas cities. Again, see NOAA climate stats.

Seattle and the PNW have a reputation for rain. I think that's mainly because of Californians coming up here. Compared to CA, the PNW does get a lot of rain. But compared to the midwest, south, or east, the PNW is actually pretty warm and dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
The classic slow drizzle...takes several days to get the same amount of rain that other parts of the country get in a few minutes. Its great :waytogo:
BUT, when it is sunny around here (most of the summer) it is pretty nice and you really appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Keith - I believe you that the PNW does get less rain. I wasn't stating that. You stated it gets NO rain and that I was saying was wrong that is all.

It is one of the best places to be in the summer I have to agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
Keith - I believe you that the PNW does get less rain. I wasn't stating that. You stated it gets NO rain and that I was saying was wrong that is all.

It is one of the best places to be in the summer I have to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta admit...only been there once, it was deserted (was end of september) and I saw the biggest rat I've ever seen in my life!
Where is the best spot/area and when is a good time to go there (all weekends in the summer or?) Thanks.
l8er,
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top