Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Thought I'd join in on some of the chat. I recognize a few of you from the other Aprilia Forum's. Please bare with me while I figure this one out.
As my user name implies, I have a Falco. One of the Red ones. I have been to the Renegade doctor so she is sporting the SS Oval low mounts and Airkit. Also have a few more of the usual upgrades. What else would one spend his money on?
I will try to get in on some of the gab. I already spend too much time on this damn computer! But what an addiction. Comes in especially handy while the weather's shite!
Take care. Any tricks I should know? Like how to get a fancy picture at the bottom of my post? What's "markup"?
Kevin

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Welcome aboard Kevin. You'll find most of the same hooligans here that are on Apriliaridersite, except without the "blokes" and "plod", whatever that means! /images/icons/smile.gif
I do have to say you've made a mighty fine choice in bikes!!

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I have a Falco. One of the Red ones. I have been to the Renegade doctor so she is sporting the SS Oval low mounts and Airkit. Also have a few more of the usual upgrades. What else would one spend his money on?

<hr></blockquote>

Damn he found us, /images/icons/wink.gif Welcome Kev....I have an idea where to spend some more money...spend your money on a new Aprilia....a mighty RSV would be so sweet..../images/icons/laugh.gif

Cheers M8

Jim
00.5' RSV
CT, USA

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
And as you can also see Kev, we even tolerate some of these Mille riding yahoos here! /images/icons/tongue.gif
But really, would you rather tell the hot chick in the office that you ride a FALCO, or a Millie?? /images/icons/shocked.gif

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
If you want to know how to spend money on a Falco, I think you've come to the right place! /images/icons/crazy.gif

Welcome Aboard, Kevin!

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, No. Don't need or want to spend any more money! Please NO! Well, maybe a new shock someday. I'll need new tires soon. And one of those Scotoilers looks like it works pretty good. Oh damn! There I go again!!!!
Jim, Nice try buddy. I must say you have a pretty sweet looking bike. But not my cup of tea. My ego allows me to ride a less flashy bike ;) I also get to keep a little more in the wallet. (Or so I thought!)
So how do I get one of those fancy logo's? Why does "spell check" not let me post my message? I click "back" and my text is gone? Am I a complete idiot? (I shouldn't have asked that one)
Take care....
Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Speaking of shocks - I am on the prowl for a stock Mille shock to swap out the stock POS shock on the Falco - anyone heard of one around, saw one on eBay, etc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crudmop,
I believe I saw one over at apriliaforum.com. Maybe it's still there? That does sound like a cheaper fix. I am still to reach the limits of the stock shock. Maybe I just don't know any better? I would like to try different tires first. The MEZ3's are just about done. (and it's all Jim's fault!)

·
Registered
831 Posts
That be me selling that there shock./images/icons/smile.gif

Jay
Hello, Come in Earth, Over./images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Nick - Did you install the Mille shock in *your* Falco yet? Do you like the difference? Would it be safe to presume that Crud's interest partially stems from your happiness with the thing?

C'mon!!! Enquiring minds want to know!!!

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Scott - actually, it was a spirited conversation with Jorge over at Renegade kept repeating how much I would appreciate the change if I went with the Mille shock. After hearing his enthusiasm, I knew thatd be my next purchase if I could find one.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Scott ~ unfortunately, without a garage to work in, I haven't installed it yet. I've gotta wait for my friend to clear a couple of bikes out of his garage so I can get in. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Crud - Jorge's comments seem to mirror my own experience. I sent the Ohlins out last Oct to be reworked, and had length adjustment added. I can't emphasize how much a 6mm longer shock improves handling...

Turns MUCH faster, holds a MUCH tighter line, and feels better doing it. More neutrally - It's more sensitive to throttle - more gas to widen a line, less tightens it, and it's similarly more sensitive to how you weight the bike: Weighting the inside peg will widen your line, outside peg holds tight.

My current geometry is 5th line on the forks, and the shock set at 32.1 cm, measured center to center on the fittings. Haven't had the opportunity to really get on it now that the weather's warm (still awaiting my subframe /images/icons/mad.gif), so I don't know if it's going to be slap-happy now. Wasn't before at all, but after Nick's comments I started looking at steering dampers.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts

Scott ~ unfortunately, without a garage to work in, I haven't installed it yet. I've gotta wait for my friend to clear a couple of bikes out of his garage so I can get in. Hopefully soon.

<hr></blockquote>

Stop at a Home Depot and pick up a 1/2" round steel bar. 3' long works nicely. Pass the bar through your swingarm pivot, lift the bike up with a rear stand, set the bar down on a couple 3 ton car jacks, and lower the swingarm again. From there, all you need is a set of allen wrenches, and a socket set with a couple handles. 1 bolt up top, 1 bolt at the bottom, wiggle your old one out, wiggle the new one in, and bolt it back up. Should take less than half an hour, including beer. /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ah yes, but the mille shock requires a small modification to fit in the Falco. Gotta trim down the shrader valve a bit, so it clears the sub frame.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

it was a spirited conversation with Jorge over at Renegade kept repeating how much I would appreciate the change if I went with the Mille shock.

<hr></blockquote>

Oh Kenny, Kenny, Kenny....I spoke to Jorge last evening and informed me that he said to you that he was SHOCKED that you didn't buy a Mille!!!! /images/icons/laugh.gif /images/icons/wink.gif
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Jim - ROFL! I knew there was a comment coming from you! All I can say is that it doesn't SHOCK me how fast I get a ticket when riding with you guys!

Scott - once again, thanks for the info!

MF - get double the beer, we can have a shock-installing bash!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Crud...no worries, No more tickets....that one last year cause my bike insurance to go from $800 annually to $1,800 and I had to do a drivers re-education class. /images/icons/laugh.gif Can you believe before I bought a sport bike I had only one ticket in 15 years of driving...oh well /images/icons/frown.gif

So whats the plan??? We gonna see Scotteq, Crudmop (remind me to ask about that screenname) MadFalco and others Sunday morning at the Dairy?

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Jim - I am still on the fence concerning Sunday - I am changing my tires over on Saturday, then trying to work out the exhaust issue I am having - If that is solved, I will be there! Otherwise, no trip for crud /images/icons/frown.gif.
As for the screenname - it's a mystery wrapped in an enigma surrounded by a riddle...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts