Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we pull the 900RR's out of storage the other day, and my brothers is leaking gas like crazy. So we panic for a few minutes and then started calling the shops. Tear out the carbs and bring them in they say. Your floats are stuck and the flood of gas is finding its way out of your gas hoses. Screw that. That costs money and no learning is gained. So what we do next is call our trusted bike mechanic and he says:

Keep draining the floats and rap on the lower carbs with the end of a screw driver while the gas is draining out. Then start the bike and check for leakage again. Now, if this doesn't do it, try it again. So, an hour later and after a few attempts, problem fixed. Tools needed are two in-experienced kids, a screw driver, and a rag to catch the spilling gas. What you save is a couple hundred bucks in carb work, and you also get to feel like a hero for a while.

So if any of you have trouble like this when you turn the key for the first time in like 4 to 6 months, remember this trick. It works, it saves, and doesn't require brains.

I just wanted to pass this helpful trick on to my beloved esportbikers :)

If you wrote a book about your life, would anyone want to read it?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yeah, sometimes the floats get gummed up or dirt causes the floats to stick and the handymans special works like a charm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wish I would have known that 1 week ago!!! (paid $300 to get carbs cleaned!)

Sportbiking: where unimanginable skill meets inexplicable stupidity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts