Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got 10" in Franklin. We shoveled out about 1/3 of our driveway last night.. by hand. (around 1/3 mile long) Good excersize! :tongue:

Arild got smart.... he's plowing us out with the bob cat now. So anyone planning on coming... we are NOT snowed in. Would definately take more than 10" to snow in a Norseman.

How much snow did y'all get?
Kathy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Only 2" in Little Rock, unfortunately there are only about 100 people in central Arkansas qualified to be out on the roads driving and I am one of them. The usual i'm from Arkansas and have no idea how to drive on ice or snow is out in full force today. It took me 1.25 hours to drive 25 miles due to little old ladies in their 4 wheel drive jeeps going 12mph up hills not having any idea that us poor sob's in rear wheel or front wheel drive vehicles might want to carry a little speed up the hill. Of course then you have the Z71 with mudders driving hilljack ******* who thinks his truck should be able to run 60mph on top of ice, it really is comical for someone with north of the border driving experience to wath . Thankfully I made it to work " only one here mind you" despite the obsticles. Now that I think about it this is a lot like riding the bike, always looking out for the idiot cagers. Please everyone be careful if you go out and if you grew up in Arkansas please stay off the roads today for your sake and others.
Merry Christmas

:808876-nono:

·
Registered
567 Posts
hahahaha... i totally agree with you.

there should be an snow and ice endorsement on our drivers license. if someone is caught out driving during thses conditions they should be given the same punishment as a DWI... :grin:

i have to admit. i didn't decide to go to work until 11 or so. Not because I couldn't handle driving in the snow/ice, that's not a problem. I just thought we'd be off today. So I stayed up too late... hahahaha... But never the less I'm only one of a handfull of folks in the company at work today...

be safe out there everybody, and merry christmas...

·
Registered
569 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
lilrockgsxr1000 said:...if you go out and if you grew up in Arkansas please stay off the roads today for your sake and others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Born and raised here and yes, I do hate the 35x12.50 mudders on my 7,000 lb, 21.5 ft long ******* mobile. And yes, I also creep up the hills at 12mph or slower in some cases. Depending on where I can get those dang mudders to bite. I also don't pass a lot of cars or trucks (I'm in no hurry) and I don't get pissed when I ocassionally get passed by some idiot thinking that doing 40 is acceptable. Usually, I'll see them again after they have either slid off the road or into some bridge railing (DUH!). On the other hand, while it took most folks 3+ hours to get home, I just waited til a little after 4pm, took side streets when ever I could and was at the entrance of my neighborhood in less than 1 hour.

After blowing over 30 minutes trying to pull my sister's 2WD CRV up this hill, I ended up leaving it since there were already three other cars and one truck completely sideways in front of me. I just unhooked her CRV from my 15,000 lb tow strap, pushed it off to the side and hoped that it would not get hit. After all the extreme hostile and frustrated folks had ended up leaving their cars and walking home, My son and I went back late last night, got her CRV unstuck and moved it to a parking lot at the bottom of the hill/curve. This afternoon, there are still about 30 cars lining the road up to the hill/curve.

Maybe it is because my parents are both "carpet baggers" from up north is why I have little problems in getting around. On the other hand, it might have a little to do with my basic rules of no brakes, no hurry, no frustration (lots and lots of patients) and a splash of common sense that makes for easy passage. I have no problem in waiting for others who are in a hurry to go up a hill with their 2WD vehicles and I'll wait until they have either made or more often, just simple slide on off the road. I'll offer assistance if I feel that it will help or I'll give them a ride, if it won't. I realize that on ice, I just have four wheels that can spin instead of two. All the same, having a 5 speed and 4WD can really be a benefit with engine braking. In 4WD-LO and first gear, the truck can almost remain stationary and the engine not die. Still, I always do everything possible to keep from sliding. Like my son say, inertia is a bitch. Especially with a 7,000 lb truck. :grin:

Oh yeah, I got about 4" of snow at my house, with about 1.5" of ice underneath it. Already went to FedEx this morning so my son could send a last minute gift. We're at my office now to pick up a few more gifts and then it's off to pick up some more propane before it gets dark. Though I'm not worried about the weather taking out my power, but that doesn't mean some yahoo won't take out a pole somewhere. Got plenty of gas for the generator and after I get my propane tanks refilled, plenty of heat for working on the bikes in my garage.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Took me 3.5 hours to get from Batesville to Conway. I-40 from Conway to LR was moving at 5mph... at 7:30pm... crazy!

·
Registered
975 Posts
On Chrimmas Eve I rode my dirtbike in 6" of snow in the woods. Interesting getting to the riding area but my truck did fine.

I have a 4x4 and I have the same rules - don't be in a hurry but use momentum where it's prudent. SMOOOOOOTH, man, gotta be smooth. Got stuck in the 630 traffic. Four hours to get across town.

Watching people all around slip, slide, not make hills, abandon cars. Meanwhile I'm having no trouble whatsoever. Even making it up hills. Hell, I'd put in 2wd to make it interesting sometimes.

I'm about ready for the 60 degree weather, though, so I can get back to riding!

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's amazing how driving in snow is a lot like riding fast on the track. IT'S ALL ABOUT BEING SMOOTH... Hell, it's all about being smooth when it's not slick as snot...

I'm looking forward to this weekend. 68 degree high for Firday. Oh yeah! :grin:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO...it is snow control... you southernerns ain't got it. It is a northern thang... or a Norwegian thang. Just waiting for the "training". From riding a '69 Triumph ta do deliveries to the 70's and creating the 1st 900 bike in history. (Yeah, the Honda factory sent over their research & developement tech's, along with their "test rider"...) from Japan to find Arild... and his 1st in history ever made 900. A story to follow "sometime". A true story, for the telling "one day"... with pictures from international magazines from the past.

Let the fun roll! Maybe some trueths be told... with proof!!! Ask & you can receive. (Gonna have to dig... but can be found)

Kathy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, we ended up with about 3 inches here in Jacksonville. I'm from the Washington State, my folks get at least 6 feet of snow most years. I love the snow. I love driving in it. I don't love driving in the snow with a bunch of crazy arkanites! If I new of a decient hill near my house I would have pulled my dusty snow board out the the closet and went for a ride. As it was, my son and I (he's 2 years old) just atempted to build a snow man in the front yard. I did make a trip to the store Thursday afternoon however. Broadies in Walmart parking lot in a mini van is actually a whole lot of fun. Just watch out for the lamp posts. :grin:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the 10" of snow we got... you should check out the pictures on the AR Gap website of Arild and I cross country skiing. Put the skiis on outside our door & went skiing to Franklin to the local diner & back.... about 4-5 miles round trip.

The pics are in the Photos forum, file name is Christmas 04. Hard to believe we went skiing 2 days, could have for 4 days, then 60+ degrees 1 day and its all gone. Kinda love AR for such a great white Christmas... then back to motorcycle weather like 3-4 days later. Yipee!!

Kathy
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AR-Gap/

If you just wanna be able to check the pics out from the rides... be sure to put "no email" in your membership when you join.

You might wanna see the Air Evac pics from Ashanti's "adventure" on the AR Gap. The folder is Air Evac.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts