Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly-Crap! How many events are they going to try to cram into one weekend at Laguna this year. I have raced there for the past three years, and it is majorly crammed space and time wise with just the AMA/WSBK schedule. Now they are going to be trying to fit in AMA/Moto GP/Some sort of cart races/and now Boxer Cup. I think they are getting way in over their heads on this one. I REALLY don't think there is going to be enough physical pit space with all that going on. Let alone the actual track time anyone is going to get. Maybe we are just going to skip practice and qualifying and just run a bunch of races that weekend. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
C'mon guys, you are bringing MotoGP to the US, most people don't need anything more then just that!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The Supercarts will run on Saturday, I'm sure half of the AMA races will also be saturday anmd the MotoGP and AMA Superbike & Supersport races will be Sunday. Usually GP's have 125's, 250's, Boxer Cup and domestic series elsewhere as well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The typical AMA/WSBK weekend would have five different classes (AMA superbike, supersport, superstock, formula xtreme and World superbike) and seven races (AMA and World superbike running two races each and the rest of the AMA classes running one race each).

The MotoGP/AMA weekend will have six classes (AMA superbike, supersport, superstock, formula xtreeme, MotoGP and Boxer Cup) and seven races (AMA superbike having two races, the rest having one).

How exactly is this a disaster if the number of races is the same? There may be an issue with running the qualifications since there is an extra class, but I thought that MotoGP racers only had a few qualifications and practices, compared to what the World superbike riders had, which was more.

There may be paddock space issues with the added class, but from a time standpoint, there are still seven races.

Jay, you can specifically address my next question/point since you are a racer. I was under the impression that the grid sizes are smaller than in years past due to the restructuring of classes, and that most privateers can't use the same bike for multiple classes like they could in the past, so there's the possibility that things will work out just as smoothly or more so because the grids will be smaller.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The typical AMA/WSBK weekend would have ....AMA and World superbike running two races each...

[/ QUOTE ]

AMA only has one race for the SBK weekend. In 04, for instance, there were 6 races, but 5 sets of qualifying/practice. And the schedule is CRAMMED....WITHOUT delays like red flags and track cleanup.

Add in two sets of qualifying/practice (4 AMA, 1 MotoGP, 1 BMW Thingy, and one Karting Thingy), and one extra race, and it gets even worse. Unless they try to turn the event into more of a week-long Daytona-esque deal, I don't see it going off all that smoothly. And by smoothly, I don't mean AMA races on Friday and saturday. I want AMA SBK on Sunday afternoon. That's where it belongs.

As far as pit space goes, In past years, you've had SBK up front, AMA factories and "big" privateer teams in the middle, then the "little" privateers in the back...and that doesn't leave much room. Now you're adding two completely isolated events requiring their own pit space (as opposed to alot of teams in AMA which share resources for various classes), plus you're adding the biggest spectacle in motorcycle racing...

It will be interesting, to say the least. With the overcrowding in the pits and the predictably high attendance figures, it will certainly be an experience.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I got a couple problems with the schedule guesses I'm seeing here.
1) The Official Boxer Cup is not returning next year to the world series. It's to be replaced by a K12R series. What's this Boxer Cup that's going to run in Laguna?
2) Last I read we're only going to see AMA Superbike, ie no superstock, no supersport, and definatly no Formula Extreme.

Now, which one of these statements has changed? I hate being behind :808993-banghead:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:
I got a couple problems with the schedule guesses I'm seeing here.
1) The Official Boxer Cup is not returning next year to the world series. It's to be replaced by a K12R series. What's this Boxer Cup that's going to run in Laguna?
2) Last I read we're only going to see AMA Superbike, ie no superstock, no supersport, and definatly no Formula Extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The new K12R series will be the "boxer cup"?

2) If you read that on Soup, that was a mistake and they retracted it later.

But yeah, it does sound like quite a full house. Don't you think MotoGP teams take up more space than your average (and even factory) Superbike teams? It seams like the MotoGP teams would have more personnel and equipment. But that's just a guess. Should we assume that the promoter for this event knows what they're doing? :rolling:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
2) If you read that on Soup, that was a mistake and they retracted it later.

[/ QUOTE ]
naw, he read that here from me...

http://esport.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads/sho...true#Post811855

maybe it's a one-off...? for i don't even think the new k-cup is going to be ready to go till '06...? the new series is based on the naked R and not the S... and the R is not even being offered for sale as an '05. :shocked: kinda hard to race that which is not even available... know whadda mean...? need i also mention the QC delay the fully-faired S-model is suffering from...? there appears to be a "comedy" of multiple "errors" going on in reporting. :crazy: however, the truth is in there somewhere. as always, i of course say it rests with yours truly.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I know is that Laguna weekend was at the breaking point the past few years. The support classes get one 20 min practice session and then one qualifying session. That isn't too much time to get your bike set up (and for those who have never been there before, to learn the track.) Add on top of that more races, don't forget cart. And basically, usually all the different series likes to have their own guys go out and re-inspect the track before their guys go out. Last year that was two different series, this year it is going to be four. All I know is that it is going to suck. And to top all of it off, the organizers are a bunch of car guys that seem a little clueless. Don't get me started on their use of car mentality in the flag stations! :flame:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Well, it sounds like a huge cluster-f*ck to me, anyway. There's no way I could learn a track in one 20 minute practice session--at the minimum, I need 1 session in which to f*ck up, some time off the bike to sit and think about it, and then at least 1 more session to get it together.

Even for riders with track time, a 20 minute session is only enough time to find out that your sh*t's not right, nowhere near enough to dial it in for qualifying and the race--bike set-up will just be a case of best guess, hit-or-miss.

As far as pit/paddock space goes, anybody know if maybe they're increasing the pits area during the track renovations?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As far as pit/paddock space goes, anybody know if maybe they're increasing the pits area during the track renovations?

[/ QUOTE ]

They basically can't. There's simply no room. The paddock area (including track facilities, like concessions, skip barber, etc) takes up virtually all of the flat land between turns 10, 11, 3, and 4. Any added space would have to be remote.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
South, yeah, that is pretty much my exact feelings on this, but I didn't want to sound like TOO much of a whiney rider. :lol:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
You guys are all worried about these space issues for nothing. I lost 17 pounds since last year. Jay you can park your bike where my belly used to be. :waytogo:

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
GuntherZX-9R said:
You guys are all worried about these space issues for nothing. I lost 17 pounds since last year. Jay you can park your bike where my belly used to be. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

:808918-ot: :808918-ot: :808918-ot: :808918-ot: :kaboom:

Wow gunther, I thought you were hibernating during this time of year. Its no wonder you loose weight. :808918-ot: :grin:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wow gunther, I thought you were hibernating during this time of year. Its no wonder you loose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
OOOOHHHH...!!! JEEEBUS...!!! :kaboom:

and for the record... it looks like the "record" is changing yet again. AMA now saying perhaps not all ama classes will run...? also, note that boxer cup is now being referred to as the "power" cup. both you guys burdens may have just gotten a little lighter...? :grin:

http://venus.roadracingworld.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=11250

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have just decided to wait until the race weekend to see what is actually happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts