Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear everyone talking about beginners to start off on a 600cc bike, and even smaller. i took a training class before i got my license and my first bike was an R1. Ive never riden anything smaller than a 929, and i dont think i ever do. I think all the bikes out now are equally awsome in their own class, but what sets them apart is their rider. you should know what you can handle and far you can push yourself.

R1 speed junkie

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
So you're asking how many riders started on liter-class sport bikes as their first rides, correct?

Any way, I owned a '92 GSX-1100g after 4 months of limited riding experience (perhaps 2,000 city miles), and a '92 GSXR-1100 after 7 months of riding experience (~5,000 miles).

I was okay in the city, and didn't nearly kill myself too often. But once I got out into the twisties, and tried to follow riders who were much better than me, I realized how much I sucked, and how slowly I was learning.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Some people get lucky...I know of some guys that have started on liter bikes, and have never had a problem. I also know of some guys that got a liter bike, flipped it or crashed, and swore off riding forever.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think alanheng is right. You think you are badass on an R1 on the streets...... I am not so sure if you'll still think the same when you go out to the twisties and get whooped by some girl on a stock 600.

G

·
I think it's a good rule that people should start on a 250-600cc bike, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Some people just have a knack for riding. If you take the MSF course and feel "right" on a bike and can't understand why the rest of your classmates are taking so long to figure out what's so incredibly easy to you... then yes, maybe you'd be okay starting out on whatever bike you desire.

There's also the ego and testosterone thing to consider. Many people get on a bike and feel that they should "keep up" with the people they're riding with. If they push themselves on an R1 they could get into some bad trouble. But if you push yourself on a 250 there's less chance of the same thing happening. 250's are a bit more forgiving when you do something like blip the throttle in the middle of a tight/fast corner. If you're able to hop on an R1 and not feel pressured to ride the bike to it's limits until you're ready... then yes, go for it.

Though even after saying all that... I would never suggest anything above a 600 to a new rider.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
hey hybone,
" I am not so sure if you'll still think the same when you go out to the twisties and get whooped by some girl on a stock 600."

by a girl?? i think YOU need yer arse whooped. /images/icons/wink.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

by a girl?? i think YOU need yer arse whooped.

<hr></blockquote>

Don't be so defensive.... I never intent for my comment to meant anything out of line, or disrespectful towards women riders for I know there are many here that are much more superior riders than I. I am sorry if you felt offended but I must say you misunderstood my statement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whenever someone talks about riding a liter bike as their first bike, the main point they always bring up is how dangerous it is and how the chances of an accident are high due to the bike's incredible power. But what most people never discuss is the fact that riding a bike with such incredible capabilities hinders the rider's ability to improve his or her riding skill since the bike is so powerful. The rider thinks he can go fast and hang with other people who are more experienced since the bike has so much power. So the person never really learns to ride very well since the bike does all the work.

There are two kinds of bikes: those that empahsize handling, and those that emphasize horsepower. If you learn to ride on a bike that doesnt' have horsepower, you have to make up for that with skill, which will ultimately make you a better rider.

it's my opinion that people who start out on liter bikes are just cheating themselves out of their own rider education. Of course there will be some exceptions, but in gnerall I think it's a truism.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nice point, Squid (that sounds odd). I've seen riders compensate for slow corners with a heavy throttle on the next straight. There are 2 problems with this: (1) it's just not as elegant as a clean fast corner and (2) that heavy throttle might get the rider in trouble at the very next corner if he goes in too hot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My opinion after 2 years and 20.000 miles. I started on a GSXF750, first time on a bike. After 3000 miles I got rid of it and bought a 9R which I still own. I am still on a learning curve. I probably would've learned faster on a 600, but I don't regret it. What I have felt to be riding a liter bike (almost)as a first bike is, it needs lots of self-discipline, being able to cope with the adrenaline-rush, stay yourself ALL the time. The latter one I found most difficult especially when goin' on a ride with experienced buddies.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree with starting on the smaller bike so you don't get yourself in trouble but one thing I disagree on is the handling differences in the bikes. For me the 929 handles way better than my F3 and is much more flickable. This does though make point for some previous statements made that older bikes help you because they don't do everything for you like the newer bikes but for me the argument of whether to get a F4i or a 954 should be based mainly on the riders responsiblity levels. (Notice I am dealing with only newer bikes, I still would recomend starting on a used bike to hone your skills on a bike that doesn't do it all for you) Both handle the same, BUT the 954 WILL get you in trouble if you can't control your throttle hand. Well I kindof said nothing buy writing alot but heck I'm bored and wanted to write something.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
SuperR1,

Not everyone are blessed to adapt to a liter bike as easily as you. /images/icons/cool.gif

What may work for you might crash someone else....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took the MSF class then started on my ZX-11. Some people don't jump on their bikes for the first time and see how fast it can go, but respect it and gradually learn to use the horsepower their bikes have, wisely.

Mike

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would not recommend a liter bike to any1. They have to be the judge, but if they ask me I say start under 600cc. But not new 600cc bikes, they are just as powerful and fast as liter bikes. It's a hard thing to say, just have to decide for yourself what is right for you.

First rule of driving, what is behind me is not important!!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i started on a 600 but i would have been okay on an R1. I'm not a very crazy guy, you see. I fear death.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Like someone said earlier, you learn slower on a liter bike than on a smaller bike. Be smart, start slow and work your way up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
best bike to learn on is a dirtbike IMO.

If one *has* to learn on a streetbike, get a "dropable" cheap one, one that won't make ya cry when ya watch it go bouncing down the road in front (hopefully) of you! /images/icons/frown.gifsay some '80's 500-750 CC ratbike for a grand or two...learn some maintenance fixing it up mechanically and then ride the wheels off it--try commuting with it maybe. Learning on high-end expen$ive stuff is never very smart seems to me...not to mention painful--- crashin' a rat bike causes a LOT less tears than watchin' your shiney new ten thousand dollar dream shed it's bodywork faster than the clothes come off a twenty dollar hooker... /images/icons/shocked.gif

but just to show how great advise works.......first bike i owned was a Honda 450 twin...i never did drop that bike even tho i had plenty of encouragement to be stupid...two of the guys i rode with got themselves killed one summer night. drunk and racing on the interstate. one hit a semi, buddy hit him..then the truck. anyway, after that, I got a nice big shiney Norton... and THEN i get my first good crash! figures, huh? /images/icons/tongue.gif

The ultimate word is "I LIKE"!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts