Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across several blurbs mentioning that slicks ride differently than say, DOT GP tires. I run D207GP rubber and certainly my skill doesn't justify slicks, but hell, can someone explain how slicks might effect handling, and feel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
More rubber on the road means bigger contact patch, means more grip and all that entails to handling and feel. Obviously zero traction in the wet. Slicks also tend to be even softer compounds than the DOT race tires, and that affects feel as well.

Check the "Make slick tires legal" post in Daily rant for good info.

Beyond this, ask the guys who know what their talking about, I've never actually run slicks on my bike.

BTW, what goes on in your world at 4:54 in the morning?

I'm not trying to hang off, I'm trying to hang ON!
See you on the inside of the turn.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To add to Wyatt's statement: A tire's tread breaks up the rubber into several pieces, which results in much more flexing of the tire than a slick. That flexing results in extra heat. Because slicks run cooler than a DOT treaded tire, GP riders can run softer compounds and still get the tire to last the entire race. And obviously, softer compound gives more peak grip.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about weight. One remark I heard in that other thread was that slicks are lighter? Hard to believe.

Now what I noticed is D207GP increase the ride height of the bike due to a different tire profile as compared to the same manufacturer's street version. Would Dunlop slicks have any difference in geometry?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The tire carcass for the slicks are extremely stiff, much stiffer than the dot's. So there is less flex and hence more feel or preciseness (not a word). Your suspension needs to be compensated for this and for the fact that the rear is hooking up more.
I love the slicks when i ran them but i couldn't get my suspension dial in for them. I am going to try them again this year and try to get someone to help me with the suspension.

craig #222wsmc

its all in the transitions

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I have also heard that the inner construction is different also. Personally, when I switched from D208s to slicks I couldn't really feel a difference betwent he tires, but I also dropped over a second off my lap time.

Jay #43
http://haleanuenue.com/racing.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
That flex is also called "squirm". Slicks have less of it. They are lighter, better grip, last longer and are worth a second or two at most tracks. I swear by them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts