Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool new forum. Thanks for the suggestion Jason, and you too CSS. Given the spirit of the forum I will give an account of my experience. I was never much of a dirt rider, got my first road bike in college and then started racing it. This past off season I picked up a XR100 to use as a pit bike and to try and get some more riding time in, since I don't have a regular streetbike. I started riding it around just for fun in some dirt fields that I found. And then we started having mini parking lot races at the race shop. We have a cool little cement slab between the buildings that is just long enough to get to second gear before down shifting and sliding it into the turn. The problem was that I kept riding it like my roadrace bike. I got some instructions from Lance Holst and his wife Margo King (a pretty good flat track racer) on how to properly ride a dirt bike. That let me really get the thing hung out better. I then went dirt riding with my teammate Danny Eslick. As some of you know he is a hot up and comer in the roadracing world, but started of on the flat track circuit. The kid has some crazy talent, so I asked him to help me out and give me some advice for riding in the dirt. We rode a few times and my dirt skills really improved, but also I got in great shape for riding. I had been going to the gym 3 days a week for the last 2 years, but it was nothing like actually riding 1 or 2 days a week. Then we started testing our race bikes again, and I found that I could really back it in and do some other things that I had never been able to do before. The dirt training really got me comfortable with the bike moving out on me, so I was able to just stay with it and let it do it's thing. Proof is in the puddin'. First race of the year was the Daytona 200. First time I had ever been there before. In the past I have had problems with long endurance races, couldn't finish. I was a little worried about making it to the end of the race, physically. Turns out I didn't have anything to worry about physically, and I was able to put a lot of passes in the race particularly in two hard turns where backing it in really paid off. I went from 30th to 13th in the race. Now, granted, most of that was due to the awesome bike I was on, and to my crew doing insane 10-15 second pit stops, but I know for a fact the dirt training in the off-season helped to tie it all together.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Very cool! You're rubbing shoulders with alot of good people! I'd say you need to get a bigger bike, but you can probably spank alot of riders on bigger machines with your little 100. :shocked:

Mental image of punk kid on a YZF 450 (BWRRRRRRRRRRR BWAAAAAA) and up from behind comes this little XR (bbbbbeeeeeeeeeee biddy beeeeeeeeee!) and smokes him in the whoops!

Yeee Haaaaa!

:808922-fiddy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts