Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike with a nice rusty creaky chain that has stretched so much it doesn't fit very well on the rear sprocket teeth (previous owner had removed a couple links it stretched so far). Is this about as bad as it gets for a chain?

PS If it matters its an '89cbr600.

And the followup Q: Any recommendations for the type of chain to get would be appreciated. I really don't know much about chains for sportbikes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Tankota said:
I got my bike with a nice rusty creaky chain that has stretched so much it doesn't fit very well on the rear sprocket teeth (previous owner had removed a couple links it stretched so far). Is this about as bad as it gets for a chain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short of being broken, yes that's as bad as it gets.

[ QUOTE ]
PS If it matters its an '89cbr600.

And the followup Q: Any recommendations for the type of chain to get would be appreciated. I really don't know much about chains for sportbikes.
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend you replace both the chain and sprockets. There's lots of opinions on brands... here are a few places to look:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/
http://www.mawonline.com/
http://www.parts411.com/
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/newsite/mainbox.asp

G

·
I'm the man to talk to. I recently popped the 520 chain on my dirt bike. The chain slashed the case and put a hole in it. This is a yz 426 with like 38 rwhp and i was only at 1/4 throttle. CHANGE YOUR CHAIN NOW!!!!!

I also changed the chain on my zx9 because 2 of the o-rings where missing. DON"T PLAY AROUND WITH THE CHAIN/SPROCKETS!!!

A bit of advive. If you see any broken teeth on your rear sprocket, don't ride anymore. That means that a link on your chain is about to fail and it's hammering the teeth off as it gives out. :waytogo:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Immagine a chain going round at mach whatever and then breaking! :blush:
Not only could it damage your cases, it could cause the rear wheel to lock up. Not good at speed. The broken chain could easily strike your leg.

G

·
Believe it or not, theirs a very slim chance of the rear wheel locking up from the chain breaking. Reason being: The chain is only under enough stress to break when being pulled forward. When at the return cycle it's not under any extreme forces and will probably never carry enough force to break & catch the bottom of the rear sprocket and be able to lock the rear wheel up. Instead you have to worry about shrapnel hitting your leg amd ruining your bike.

On my YZ the chain got stuffed between the swing arm and wrapped around the counter sprocket doing hundreds of dollars of damage to my bike, but in no way was it able to lock the rear wheel up It just fell off the rear sprocket. Go figure. :wink:

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
a nice rusty creaky chain that has stretched so much it doesn't fit very well on the rear sprocket teeth (previous owner had removed a couple links it stretched so far)

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't know a chain could get that bad :blush:
i wouldn't let this on my bicycle! :shocked:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
I agree with your logic on this one but, as Murphy has extreme power when you least expect it......

I just spoke to a racer friend of mine that had 2 different master links break (non-riveted type). He said that one of the chains went flying by his head :blush: [holding his hand up to show how close it was]
He admits that it was probably farther away from his head than he indicated but, read between the lines.
He's had 2 clip type master links let go. He had planned on making riveted masterlinks manditory when racing with the CRA.
He wasn't the only person having chains let go.

Just a little story for everyone who uses clips.

G

·
You're right about that. I don't really have any probs on dirt bikes. They ain't as fast, so the chain stresses are a lot less.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
worthless comment soon to follow

I loved the belt on the buell, no oil, no mess, no worries

seriously though, change the chain, better now then walking home after your stuck somewhere, the cahin on my bicycle is stretched like that, it causes undue wear on your sprokets, its not effeicient, and if it pops, you're stuck or worse. :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
how long will a chain last and what does it start to look like once it starts going bad?

I bought a used bike last night and it have 8k miles on it. The chain look..ok. Not as good as my last bike but it was brand new. The sprocket teeth have minor notches near the edges. Very minor but visible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.