Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
bayrider said:
Only Matt and Zemke are better than Neil. That's impesssive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know preseason testing doesn't necessarily mean much (if anything, at times), but I agree. Impressive.

I REALLY want to see Neil do well this year, after that worthless 04 season, which followed an only slightly less worthless 03 season.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
No offence to EBoz but you need to look at the type of racing that Neil has been doing in comparison the Eric...it would not surprise me at all for the brit to be the better rider for most of the year...we know Eric'll win Pike's but Niel has had better competition for a number of years while EBoz has been on and off the bike in mediocer competition at best

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
ah, another excuse for eboz to add to the list! :lol:

Let's recap:

1. He doesn't have any data for these tires on this track
2. He doesn't have a teamate to share data with
3. He's not used to a twin...still.
4. He's not able to test at the tracks because of Dunlop.
5 (new) He hasn't had enough competition to really push him.

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
mediocer competition at best

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You know EBoz has yet to come out on top in the AMA as well as the AMA has had some pretty good talent thats done a respectible in the world scene (Nicky for instance)

Amd EBoz actually got several WSBK rides but didn't impress them enough to get a full ride.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
indianaroadracer said:Amd EBoz actually got several WSBK rides but didn't impress them enough to get a full ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you right up to that point, but when Eric wildcarded in WSBK, he routinely out-qualified and out-raced the regular works Kawi WSBK riders; it was just that Kawi bailed on WSBK and (rightfully) kept EBoz in AMA racing--until they bailed out of Superbike.

Despite his expressed concerns about being scared of riding the 999 at speed at Daytona, Hodgson is definitely showing the mettle worthy of a Superbike World Champion while EBoz appears to be having confidence issues similiar to what he suffered during his last season with Honda.

In each case, Eric was back on the same bike on which he had been seriously injured in a crash--maybe more than just a coincidence; after all, brother Ben is widely considered to have a rather "delicate" psyche, maybe it runs in the family.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
The only hope is EBoz actually listens to Neil's wisdom on riding the twin. And, maybe actually pulls his head out of his #ss and gets his collective shiat together to do what is needed to win. Its like the Bostrom brothers have this great raw talent but just can't get the mental and physical toughness about them similar to Matt, or Miguel for that matter.

Only hope for us Ducati fans is that Neil comes to grip with all the tracks faster than this. Although I do see Neil doing very well at Road America and Laguna. RA cause its a fast, WSBKish track and Laguna cause his raced there before.

Go Neil and hey, EBoz, wake up and smell the coffee, your not getting any younger!

Ps..no offense meant to EBoz if you read this post.

·
Registered
968 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
mofferman said:
The only hope is EBoz actually listens to Neil's wisdom on riding the twin. And, maybe actually pulls his head out of his #ss and gets his collective shiat together to do what is needed to win. Its like the Bostrom brothers have this great raw talent but just can't get the mental and physical toughness about them similar to Matt, or Miguel for that matter.

Only hope for us Ducati fans is that Neil comes to grip with all the tracks faster than this. Although I do see Neil doing very well at Road America and Laguna. RA cause its a fast, WSBKish track and Laguna cause his raced there before.

Go Neil and hey, EBoz, wake up and smell the coffee, your not getting any younger!

Ps..no offense meant to EBoz if you read this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yee of little faith. This is a TEST! They are testing parts and getting the setup of the bike nailed. It's not about being the fastest. The race is in March. Lighten the "F" up already. You guys are nailing EBoz's coffin shut. Do you not remember the Hondas running 1,2,3 in last years DIS tests only to get spanked in the race? The season?

Yeah, Neil is the real deal. You don't win a BSB and WSB title without talent. But it might just be a simple matter of Eric working on setup for the race. Eric knows how to get around Daytona fast. Just look back at last years D200 qualifying! :bird:

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Somehow I believe that if it was about getting the setup *nailed* and testing parts, Neil would be the one with the slower times. EBoz has data from last year and the year before that. EBoz has been to the track quite a few more times than Neil. Yes, Neil has talent but then we all thought that Eric was the next phenom that should've risen to the top. It just hasn't panned out. Good grief, the superstock times are faster than Erics and Miguel on the 600 is only a second off EBoz's pace.

Lighten up? This is only the precursor to what will, IMHO, in all likelyhood be another abysmal season for the guy that took the little green bike to the altar as a bridesmaid and never will be the bride. Unless, the WSBK and BSB champ can light a fire under him and impart some semblance of wisdom on the kid. Otherwise, watch for only one Ducati to make air time on Speed this season.

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:
Lighten the "F" up already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now, don't get carried away :kaboom: :grin:

Bob, did you not watch the same AMA Superbike series the rest of us watched last year. Eric was beat by privateers on more than one occasion. That team definetly has some work to do and I think we all agree Neil should help with that effort.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:it might just be a simple matter of Eric working on setup for the race. :bird:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, according to the guy running the EBoz program, Head Wrench/Tuning Guru Gary Medley (formerly wrenched for the likes of Scott Russell, Doug Chandler, and Ben Bostrom's Vance and Hines Ducati ride--which springboarded Ben into WSBK), at present the majority of the problem is in Eric's head: soup article I (and probably others) read before posting about EBoz's early '05 efforts on the Ducati

*EDIT* D*mmit. I'm going senile, but there, I fixed it (see, I knew others here had read the same article.) Thanks for picking up my slack, <font color="green"> M </font>. :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Like I said with different phrasing, he needs to stop emulating his big brother and get his head screwed on straight and GO GO GO.

This linky works :waytogo:

Soup Article on EBoz

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge EBoz fan. The guy has tremendous talent and when he was on the Kawi had great *heart*. I'm also a Duc fan to the bone, so I'm upset that, after two years now, he just can not seem to come to grips with the bike. And, as pointed out, it appears that its mostly mental which is reinforced by his win at PPIR which is his favorite track. I just want to watch Ducati fighting for the lead along with the rest of the brand bikes with EBoz right up there!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yee of little faith. This is a TEST! They are testing parts and getting the setup of the bike nailed. It's not about being the fastest. The race is in March. Lighten the "F" up already. You guys are nailing EBoz's coffin shut.

[/ QUOTE ]
:applause: yeah, not thinking anything's wrong with eboz or his comfort with the bike. he was fast as greased arseholes at DIS (ie. the most dangerous track). this i observed at a range likely closer than anyone...? if he was unconfortable...? then his riding skills are only best by his skills as an ACTOR...!!! :lol: plus, it doesn't stand to reason that LEAVING there and then racing at all the other relatively "safer" tracks would put the kibosh on his mojo...? lest we forget PPIR is another "concrete arena"... yet that's where he's practically unbeatable...? somebody riddle me that...? how does that work...? :help:

[ QUOTE ]
I think we all agree Neil should help with that effort.

[/ QUOTE ]
i like neil and all, but i personally don't view him as really having jack sh!t to offer. what could he really offer that he hasn't already gotten from his brother ben years ago...?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
i like neil and all, but i personally don't view him as really having jack sh!t to offer. what could he really offer that he hasn't already gotten from his brother ben years ago...?

[/ QUOTE ]

How to win. Consistantly.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
MonsterJ said:
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How to win. Consistantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. Damn, beat me to the punch.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
sorry guys... but you're all confusing neil's job with the job currently required of medley/ciabatti and the corse department back over in europe. :frown: btw, there's no "divine magic" to winning consistently... it's easy... just focus on one race at a time.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
:applause: yeah, not thinking anything's wrong with eboz or his comfort with the bike. he was fast as greased arseholes at DIS (ie. the most dangerous track). this i observed at a range likely closer than anyone...? if he was unconfortable...? then his riding skills are only best by his skills as an ACTOR...!!! :lol: plus, it doesn't stand to reason that LEAVING there and then racing at all the other relatively "safer" tracks would put the kibosh on his mojo...? lest we forget PPIR is another "concrete arena"... yet that's where he's practically unbeatable...? somebody riddle me that...? how does that work...? :help:

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple: Success at Daytona--and Fontana, for that matter--came almost a year ago, right at the start of the season, before anybody, except Mladin of course, had their sh*t together. Once the Hondas, Attack Kawi, and some of the privateers got their grooves on, EBoz started getting whipped, hard AND often.

As for PPIR, Eric OWNS that joint, and, most importantly, he knows it--recall the very un-Eric like proclaimation " I'm gonna put this b*tch out front" ( :applause:) right before the start. But that certainty, determination, and drive stayed at Pike's Peak.

Unfortunately, EBoz returned to getting beat-down in the subsequent races--kinda hard to maintain your optimism/confidence when you're 1.5-2 seconds a lap off the pace--until he finally got beat-up and parked for the rest of the season.

Medley says Eric needs to, and will, get his confidence back, and I can certainly understand why and how he lost it in the first place. As I mentioned before, EBoz came roaring back after his dismal last season with Honda--a season that was preceeded by great success/promise the previous year before his major get-off and injury testing the Dun-pops at DIS--and I'm sure he can this year as well.

As for Hodgson's presence on the team, I don't know how much he'll help Eric--it's quite clear that Neil has his own agenda to tend to--but I'm thinking he'll be one h*ll of a motivating force. Remember the racing adage: "the first guy you need to beat is your teammate." :waytogo:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, EBoz returned to getting beat-down in the subsequent races--kinda hard to maintain your optimism/confidence when you're 1.5-2 seconds a lap off the pace

[/ QUOTE ]
well therein lies the issue... when you're THAT far off the pace...? (reading between the lines) it's pretty indicative (to me anyway) that there's A LOT more blame to go 'round than just throwing up a "catch all" facade citing "lack of confidence".

[ QUOTE ]
EBoz started getting whipped, hard AND often

[/ QUOTE ]
and this would differ from the resolve he showed for years campaining an outdated, carbureted, underpowered, dinosaur of a green 750 against purportedly more advanced competition how...??? you really don't intend to paint him in the scenario of the "stranger in a strange land" when it's historically old hat...?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
well therein lies the issue... when you're THAT far off the pace...? (reading between the lines) it's pretty indicative (to me anyway) that there's A LOT more blame to go 'round than just throwing up a "catch all" facade citing "lack of confidence".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not assigning blame for last year's problems to anything in particular, and certainly not to a lack of confidence on Eric's part. My point is that EBoz is presently suffering a lack of confidence in himself and/or the bike based on the sh*tty season last year. As I said, getting seriously dogged for an entire year--not to mention his season ending injury--can't help but knock anybody back on their heels.

Eric needs confidence now after all the sh*t that happened last year--and it's Medley's job to give it to him, as Gary himself pointed out.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EBoz started getting whipped, hard AND often

[/ QUOTE ]
and this would differ from the resolve he showed for years campaining an outdated, carbureted, underpowered, dinosaur of a green 750 against purportedly more advanced competition how...??? you really don't intend to paint him in the scenario of the "stranger in a strange land" when it's historically old hat...?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not old hat. What mirrors his experiences on the Duc and what is old hat is/was his last 1 and 1/2 seasons with Honda. Initial success, major accident/injury on the bike, poor results, and, by his own admission, he just didn't have the necessary confidence in himself and the bike after that.

It took the switch to Kawi, the meticulous bike preparation of Al Luddington, as well as Al's insistence that Eric ride the sh*t out of a ZX-6R on the street to log seat time and build an affinity for the bike, and the fact that they "found something on the Superbike that Eric likes" for EBoz to get his groove back. I remember the Superbike was as simple as that; they hit the set-up, and Eric was all smiles from there on out, saying that the bike would now do whatever he wanted it to, that, unlike the post-crash Honda, he had confidence in the bike.

Now, as for more on the Kawi Superbike:

In the first place, it can be persuasively argued that for much of Eric's time with the bike, it really wasn't all that "inferior" to the competition. The bike was widely held to have excellent balance and very neutral handling characteristics, and while the 800cc incarnation may have lacked some in the hp department (vs. the 1000s), the previous renditions managed to post the highest trap speeds at several tracks (personally, I think that was mainly due to Eric's higher corner speeds leading onto the straights).

More importantly, even if the Kawi was an even bigger turd than believed, as I said, Eric was still competitive on it. He was obviously VERY comfortable on the bike; it certainly suited his riding style; and, regardless of any shortcomings in the machinery, Eric still ran at the front. The guy was all over the thing, jack-rabbit holeshots, unbelievably hard on the front in the turns, backing it in under ANYBODY.

I still remember his pre-race interview at Road Atlanta a few years back: when asked what his race strategy was, in light of the fact that the Kawi appeared to be getting (out)motored, Eric first replied that he'd try to get away right at the start (a proven EBoz move). In response to the follow-up question of "what if that doesn't work?" Eric just smiled and said then he just might have to "pull something big" at the bottom of the hill (which he proceeded to do on each of the last 4-5 laps in the race). Eric ran EVERY race on the Kawi with that attitude; unfortunately, so far on the Duc, I've only seen it at PPIR.

Your argument about the bike(s) works against itself: one minute you say the Duc had issues that prevented Eric from running up front, then you point out that Eric did run up front on the "underpowered dinosaur" Kawasaki. By your argument, both bikes were/are sh*t, EBoz rocked on one and suffered on the other, yet Eric's state of mind in each case has nothing to do with it. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Eric for his predicament. My point is that while Hodgson "just" has to sort the bike and learn the tracks, Eric has to get the bike to work for him (Medley's job) and then gain confidence in himself and the bike--or in himself on the bike--in order to consistently run at the front again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts