Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I joined the "club" once again. During the weekend trip to Deal's Gap I experienced my first high-side. As I exited a hard right hander I applied throttle and was setting up for the oncoming left when it happened. I could feel the rear spin slightly so like an idiot I eased off on the throttle. The next thing I remember is being tossed over the bars to the left of the bike, landing head first and sliding to a stop. It happened extremely fast. I jumped up and looked at my bike resting peacefully at the bottom of a small ravine. The bike looks bad to me but I really won't know the extent of the damages until it is looked over by the dealer. For the type of accident the bike is in great shape/images/icons/frown.gif. Only a dented tank, destroyed headlight bucket, broken/bent fairing stays, windscreen obliterated, broken mirrors (one was left at the tree of shame), front turn signals broken, front fender damaged, clutch cover scratched, small nick in the fork tubes, instrument cluster shattered, everything on the right clip-on destroyed including the brake resevoir and every fooking piece of plastic on the bike is scratched or scuffed in some way. The wheels and exhaust SEEM to be fine though. I thank god for full leathers. My "high-side" suit did it's job and is still serviceable, although I will try to get a one piece out of it from the insurance company. My helmet, HJC CL12, also did it's job but will be replaced as will the Teknic Lightning gloves that gave their life for the protection of my hands. Oh yeah, the Alpinestars SMX boots look no worse for wear. I came out virtually uninjured with the exception of a swollen wrist and sore neck and legs. The wrist is probably sprained but if it is still killing me by Monday then I will visit the ole doctor and let him check it out. I am kinda torn on whether or not I want the 996 to be totalled but that decision will be made by State Farm so I will wait and see. Well, here are a few pics of the wreck scene.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another pic of the bike on the mountain side. On a side note, some of you may recognize the girl in this pic. That is Zee, her pictures have been posted all over Sportbikes.dhs.org for the past month.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well I'm certainly glad you're not injured. I know first hand how it feels to see your duc resting down an embankment and in tatters.

It was a terrible experience for me, but I was lucky to be uninjured as well. My pride was the biggest casualty. Hang in there and you'll be fine. State Farm totalled my bike with similar damage, and I wanted them to. As much as I loved my bike, I would feel funny riding it after such a wreck. I think the biggest reason for my excessive repair bill ($12k plus labor) was the frame was scratched from the tumble.

I'll think good thoughts for you, and may you ride again soon. It took me a month to get my new bike, and in hindsight, it wasn't that bad of a wait. Best of luck, and I'm glad you're ok.

-Erik

·
Registered
823 Posts
Man.......I hate to see that. Ducs don't belong in a ditch.

Well it's good you're O.K.........../images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well what would you have done differently if you were to be in the same spot and same situation again? How would you handle the throttle?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric, I feel the same way and I hope it is totalled too. If it is then hello 998/images/icons/smile.gif if it is not then that will be ok because I have been told by several people that my 996 is an unusually strong example. It will be transformed into a red mono with Ohlins forks and any carbon bits that I can squeeze out of the insurance payment. Hybone, I have been in that situation before, although not at the extreme lean angle I was at in this instance, and I would love to be able to say that I would just keep the throttle where it is at but who really knows. Everything happened in less than a second so I really didn't have time to rationalize what was happening. Experience in these type situations is the best way to deal with them, that way you simply react accordingly. I suppose it is like cornering, the first few times you get a little hot in the corner you think about it and instinctively slow down instead of just applying more lean angle to clear the curve. After some close calls you learn to apply more lean and therefore when it happens now the thought of braking in the turn NEVER enters your mind. Your instincts have been altered through experience. I just hope I never experience this again/images/icons/frown.gif.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
HOLY CRAP...!!! glad you're O.K. mad... (relatively) for a sec, i thought YOU went down the embankment too. now i know that the pic from my "live or memorex" post is fake.

yeah, it'll probably be totalled. yesterday, i just checked out an RC-51 that a friend of mine bought that he indicated was totalled because of a little "indentation" on the frame that he pointed out to me. it was just a little scratch...!?!?! bike only had 2200 miles on it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Geez Charles, I'm so sorry. Most importantly, you're alright. Glad you were wearing full leathers. But I know right now that is of little consolation. I do hope that State Farm does total it for you. It would take me awhile to trust a bike that had been in that kind of a wreck. Keep us posted. Once again, glad you are ok...

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
208 Posts
man sure hate to see this but you know how many people ive got to send this link to. do you know the mileage ill get out of this next time i see you. i may have to come up to hartselle and run redlights till one of you pull me over. maybe you should have gone up with all the guys from the ducati fourum then you wouldnt have been playing catchup cause i know those inline 4s were totally smokin you through there.

by the way you can still go up with us if you want we dont discriminate against people that have crashed at the gap,if we did we wouldnt be able to go with each other but seriously hate to see you piled it [censored] happens come see us were out most sunday afternoons ltr.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Damn Mad that really sucks! Glad you stayed topside though and didn't get to play in the trees; now that would really suck! Let us know how the wrist goes and thanks for posting this...hopefully in a similar situation one of us might remember your post and not have the same outcome. Heal up!

·
Registered
640 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

i know those inline 4s were totally smokin you through there.

<hr></blockquote>

/images/icons/smile.gif You KNOW he's already heard a rash of poop about that one! (Once we all knew he was alright.) I would love to agree, since he was following me, but if I tried to lie about it he'd call me on it. The only reason I thought something might be wrong is because two turns after this one, I looked back and he wasn't breathing down my neck anymore. I could hang with him on the skyway, but he checked out through the gap and was waiting on me with his helmet off at the overlook. I wept.

Side note - anyone know who that [email protected] is in the first pick standing by the 996? /images/icons/laugh.gif

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you need to enroll in my riding class let me know I will be giving them on Sat. afternoons at the Vinemont curves better bring your wallet though classes are not cheap. School is in session

·
Registered
179 Posts
One hell of an initiation. Congrats, I've been waiting. I'm just glad that we can still play on esportbike. I got the pictures developed from our wrecks and I will put the doubles in my file when you get back to work. I don't have the one of us and the viper, but I will get those soon. As you can see, I was able to make it to work.

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey gunner, I think that lard ass is me. /images/icons/smile.gif

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Actually, I meant the one in the red leathers right beside the bike... /images/icons/laugh.gif

By the way, I wanna steal a look at those pics. I still haven't even seen the ones from last year! lol

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Glad your okay... but I gotta ask, where'd you get your mirros painted? How much?

Is your bike totaled? Looks like have a good excuse to get the 998 now ;)

M.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Check out the guy at the top of the bank, making "adjustments"!!!!!!!!

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
LOL. Stuff tends to shift and bunch in leather pants...I'm beginning to think "commando" is the only option left. /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm just kiddin' around. Perhaps I am teasing at the wrong time. If so, I apologize.
I fully understand about making these adjustments. I'm constantly offending motorists when I do it! I particularly enjoy the reactions of the old ladies in the next car at a red light when I do it. I make it as conspicuous as possible!!!

It's funny you mention "commando". I tried it last summer. It was a ten hour ride in 100* heat. I couldn't handle it and something had to give. So I took off the skivvies! It proved to be a very comfortable move. I'm sorry if that's too much information!

I'm sorry about the crash though. I am glad there were no injuries.

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts