Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it cold enough up there for you? I was watching the news and saw that it was -46F (-43C)without windchill in your neck of the woods. :blush:

It's only about -5F (-21C) and -44F (-42C) with windchill around here.
I got gas at the station last night and needed to clean the salt off the headlights. I went to use the service stations window washer but the scrubber was frozen in the washer fluid! :lol:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
Where the heck was it -42!???! :shocked:

It is a balmy -5C right now(Kitchener-Waterloo), and the 12 inches of snow they promised me is well on it's way. Should be fun to drive in :crazy:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I spent Monday in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I volunteered for a bit of work that turned up. I know, I'm such a selfless company man. By the way, it was 25 degrees Celsius (77 Fahrenheit).

On the other hand, I have to work a night shift on New Year's Eve. Boo.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were showing a psuedo map of the US and you could see up into Canada. There wern't any city names with the temps so I don't know where it was. Just to the left of central Canada though.

Ahhhh....You just got to love Minnesota in the winter :rolling:
I went to put air in the tires since your pressure drops a lot when it gets cold. I picked up the air hose and pulled it away from the reel. Then the hose promptly snapped in half. :lol: That's when you know it's freakin cold out!

I was suprised since it's only -15F out here right now. :blush:
I can remember one winter when it was much, much colder out. I took a spray bottle of water outside and shot water up in the air.
It turned to snow before it hit the ground. :lol:

The cold weather just makes you appreciate the summer all the more. I rather enjoy the changes in season. It's really not all that bad and you get used to the cold.
I saw a guy out running today. I personally think he was nuts.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:
They were showing a psuedo map of the US and you could see up into Canada. There wern't any city names with the temps so I don't know where it was. Just to the left of central Canada though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your geography needs a little work.

To let you know: we're pretty much near the southern tip of Canada. ~1 hour from Niagara Falls.
I wouldn't want to live anywhere near the Twin Cities... it's f-ing cold over there. Tho: I hear there's a wicked Japanese restaurant there (there's also one in Winterplague which I've had the pleasure of eating at.) and the Mall of America.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
My wife, Cyndi, is from that central Canada area to which you're referring. Just north of Regina, Saskatchewan. During the winters the temperatures frequently drops into the -40 range (it's the same whether it's Celcius or Fahrenheit), to which they then attached a wind chill factor. that number was known to fall a low as -80. Yes folks, that was not a misprint.

You did not want to expose anything to the elements for any amount of time. At all.

Try working an outside job in the Prairies. :crazy: :rolling: Her Dad did. He trucked gas. Hardy group of people. His family's first winter in Sask. was spent under a wagon as their sodhouse was being built.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
howd you get to mo bay? tell me you had some goat? or pepper shrip, or jerk chicken? SO MUCH GREAT FOOD

I hope to get back to the island this summer, to work or just for 2 weeks to visit family

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I went down on an A320 I was looking after that day. I was there for all of an hour and a half, so aside from checking out some of the women who work for Jamaican Customs, I didn't sample any local delicacies. :wink: Basically I never left the airport.

Really, the best part of the day was seeing the Daytona Motor Speedway and Kennedy Space Center on the way there and back.

Maybe one day I'll go back to stay for awhile. It would be a good way to sit out a cold snap like we were talking about at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I always like landing at mo bay, runway right on the beach like that, coming into land, looking out the window, you see water getting close and closer, much different then say landing at SJC.

if you get a chance to check out the island, take it, its a great island, I don't understand people that say they've been to jamaica, and all they ever saw was a cruise ship and a resort. the island has much more to offer.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If I go back, I'll definitely check out life on the island. No cruises for me! I don't understand how people can go anywhere and just take in all the tourist crap. When I was working in Europe, I tried very hard to blend in and do everything much like everyone else. I wanted to do things that way so I could see what life is like in another place. For example, in Denmark, I rode my bicycle to work every day.

Fitting in with Americans was fun, too. Having a buddy lend you an AK-47 to help celebrate the Fourth of July is great fun. Definitely something every Canadian should experience.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Ive never been to denmark, but i ride my bicycle to school everyday :tongue:

I could see a cruise in alaska, but Id rather throw a backpack on and and spend as many days backpacking. but theres somethings a cruise thru there would show you that you couldn't see anywhere else.

I agree. if you're going to go somewhere, do as they do. if you want to eat mcdonalds, theres one down the street.

funniest thing is when Im in jamaica, the local tourist peddlers try and sell me junk, don't realize that Im not a tourist, its always worth a laugh.

places id recommend going to
Dunns River falls- its become very commercialzed though from what I hear
Irie Beach- its really a river, some cliff diving, a nice place, not to touristy.
Frenchmans Cove- virtually no tourists, river meats ocean, vine swings, really mellow place
Giddy House- Sunk by Port Royal quake(1924 i think), the armory is tilted about 25 degrees, but intact, feels really wierd.
i cant remember the other places off the top of my head

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
yeap, that place rocks, theres a cliff about 5 meters, you can jump off of. and a rope swing off a small falls, and unlike here, the lifegaurds let you do whatever you want. :waytogo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts