Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a while ago I posted a question about what the junk was that was coming out of my engine case every time I changed the oil.

I did 4 track days on the SV and changed the oil after every session. Each time I changed the oil, more plastic looking pieces would come out of the engine. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I asked several Suzuki mechanics and the members on an SV web site but, no one knew what it was.

So, I decided it was time to tear into the engine to find out before something catastrophic happened. I quickly found out what the stuff was:

Here's the stuff I would find in the oil every time I changed it.

It was the epoxy that holds the magnets to the stator rotor. :bawling:

I was very concerned that some of the epoxy had found its way into an oil jet or could bind up gear cogs. So, I decided that I needed to have the engine completely rebuilt. That's until I found out it would $2000.00 to do it (provided there were no other problems). :flame:

Since that wasn't going to happen, I decided to dive in head first. I've never done anything like this before and it scares the heck out of me. (Not to mention the fact that I'm a complete idiot :rolling:)
HERE WE GO!

Yea. This was a pain in the arse getting the engine out by myself.

I made a little stand for the engine. It's even got casters so I can roll the engine around. :grin: (It's upside down on the stand in the photo)

Pulling the cams wasn't too bad. Just time consuming and the caps were a biotch to get off.
Call me "Mr. organized" :lol:

Off with your heads!!

Getting the rotor off the crank was a nightmare! I cranked on it with all of my might(huge breaker bar) but it wouldn't budge. I finally borrowed an impact wrench from a friend and POW, she popped off right into my chest. :bawling:

Rotor gone!

Next on the agenda was removing the clutch. Unfortunately, this is where I'm stuck. I don't have a 27mm socket so I can't remove the basket nut.

On the maiden track day at Brainerd I managed to high-side myself off the track in corner 4. Unfortunately, my brand new Yosh full system was crushed into the rear wheel. I thought "what the heck" and took it apart. I'm going to try to fix the sleeve or replace it.
Ever wonder what's inside a pipe?

I was thinking that maybe 59Hp just isn't enough for me. I keep getting motored on the straights by other riders. I'm considering doing a 2mm over bore, pistons, pods and some other things.
I will otherwise be measuring the heck out of the internals and bringing her back to spec.

With any luck, I will also be mounting Ducati 999 bodywork. :waytogo: The HotBodies I have now is absolute trash. I will never buy HotBodies as long as I live.

I'll keep posting as the project unfolds. Wish me luck as I'll need it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would have no clue in what to do with all that. Good luck though! No better way to learn! :waytogo:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On more than one occasion I've found a bolt or nut on the floor and asked myself "Now where the heck did that come from?" :grin:

I'm labeling a lot of pieces using a black marker and trying to keep things together the best I can.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
That's a real good post! Keep it up and post pics of what you're doing!

Are you scared of not being able to put it back together?

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:
That's a real good post! Keep it up and post pics of what you're doing!

[/ QUOTE ]

no he isnt for if he cant get it back together again he's paying my plane tickets and im flying there to fix it for him :smile:

G

·
Did you buy all of the measuring tools, IE things like valve lobe measurer's and how bout a clutch basket wrench, and how much did all the tools hit ya for?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Here we go. Project from hell part 2. The engi

Kewl prodject. I have never gotten that into it before, but one of these days I intend to. I love mechanicing, as long as it's not on the cage I have to drive to work in the morning. As long as I have all the time in the world, it's a blast. One day I intend to do that to my bike as well. I don't have an excuse to dig in that far just yet however. That, and the fact I don't have all the proper tools. Anyway, keep posting pictures. I look forward to seeing how it comes along. :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

If you haven't done so already, pick up a box of freezer storage bags (Zip-Loc or whatever) to keep small parts in. They usually have a panel on them for labelling purposes. That way you can keep things together (and clean) and with the label, you'll know where the part came from so it can go back to its original spot. That can be important for things like piston rings and valves.

It looks like your shop is nice and clean, which is essential for this type of work. With a good maunal and some determination, this should be a fun project.

p.s. Speaking of putting things back where they came from, way to go with the "story board" (the peice of cardboard you stuck your side cover bolts in). That makes life SO much easier when it comes time to put it all back together again...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

Good luck to ya Ben!

Dunno's on to something. When I built my 900 motor I got a buch of zip-locks and a few small boxes and made a filing system. I would put associated components together in a bag and then write a brief description on the back with a sharpie. Sometimes I even drew small pictures to help remind me. All that organization saved my arse.... it was a couple months later before I put the motor back together. Having the heads looked at, pistons ceramic coated, painting, powdercoating, having my f'd up rocker fixed, etc took a lot longer than I thought.

Like I said good luck..... :waytogo:

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts

I've used Dunno's method on things much simpler than a full engine disassembly. It works wonders.

If your digi-cam has a video mode (like most do) on difficult or complex assemblies; take a video with voice of you taking it apart. In a month, or whatever, when you put it back together: you'll have a refresher course on how exactly you took it apart.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Just as afraid as when my highschool g/f said she was "late". :lol:

So far, I've had to buy a $136.00 gasket kit, $14.00 in contact cleaner, $8.00 for Redline assembly lube, $58.00 in a piston ring set and $10.00 for a strap wrench set.

I borrowed a caliper from blkduk (thank you very much. I appreciate it! :waytogo:) I still need to buy a 27mm socket and was going to do so tonight but, as I was headed out the door the pager for the SWAT team went off. I was stuck on an Operation-100 all night. :bawling: It was freaking cold out. -7deg. with a windchill of -22F. :blush:

Baggies are a great idea! I've been using a fishing tackle box that has a ton of spaces in it. I've been writing on pieces of paper and putting them in the slots with the parts.
I have also been putting most of the nuts/screws/bolts back in place after removal.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Zoey...if you're still coming over the day after Christmas you will not leave my bike looking like that.

[/ QUOTE ] :lol: I fly into BWI at 1345 on the 25th and leave on the 27th @ 1738. With any luck, I will be able to finally see your mug in person. The time schedule will be tight. I'm going to try to go shopping on Monday. Maybe we can meet?

I used the story board for both sides of the covers. There are a ton of bolts- all different sizes and some have leak washers behind them. There's no way I would remember where they all go.

I have been taking digi pics along the way. Hopefully, if I get in a jam, I can reference them.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

Zoey~
While I admire your conviction......that is waaaaaay overkill. :shocked:
All you really had to do, was to remove the oil pan and clean out the case with some cleaner through the cover area of the stator, and flush out the pan real good, check the pickup and clean if neccesary.

Good luck with the overbore and refresh job. :waytogo:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

[ QUOTE ]
All you really had to do, was to remove the oil pan and clean out the case with some cleaner through the cover area of the stator, and flush out the pan real good, check the pickup and clean if neccesary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Negative Ghost Rider.

1. There is no oil pan on a SV. The only way to access is to pull the engine and split the cases.

2. The oil screen is internal. Again, only access is by splitting the cases.

3. There are 4 oil jets. 2 located in the heads and 2 inside the cases. Should a small fragment get into one of the jets (which are very small) the engine will be oil deprived. Again, the only way to access is by splitting the cases.

4. There are several oil passage ways that can harbor the epoxy fragments. Even if it had an oil pan, there would be no way to spray them out nor could you inspect them.

The rotor will have to be replaced. Hopefully I can convince Suzuki that it was a manufacturing issue.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

So have you figured out who your ganna use to get the aftermarket parts for it yet

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

Corrected I stand......I lost site of the fact that were talking Vtwin here...as I am and always have been a I4 person. :grin:

Either way.....Good luck !! :waytogo:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks RI. When it comes time to lift the engine back into the frame, I will give you a call. :grin: It was tough enough getting it out on my own.

I havn't searched for a vendor (parts) as of yet. Do you have any suggestions? The bigger the hook, the better :rolling:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts