Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with \'02 650s - won\'t idle after storage

My wifes bike (3k miles) has been sitting for about 4 months or a bit more and today I went to start it and it fired right up, then died. So I cracked open the choke even though it was fairly warm today and it fired right up again and idled fine (but high of course). After about 30 seconds I slid the choke back and it died. Repeated that several times. I tried blipping the throttle and each time it would die immediately. Thinking I might have old gas, I mixed it around and added about 1 gallon of 100 octane unleaded. Same problem. I didn't see an easy way to drain the tank since there's a baffle as soon as I open the fill door?

I'm getting ready to crack open the manual and start diagnosing, but wanted to get some insight in case this is a common problem. The bike ran beautifully the last time she rode it. Bad gas, stuck float? Should I try some of those water in the gas type additives?

Thanks in advance...

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Re: Help with \'02 650s - won\'t idle after storage

I would siphon out the gas from the tank by using a piece of clear hose. I say clear because you can see the gas coming toward your mouth :wink:.
Adding the 100 octaine does nothing for old gas. Octaine slows the burning process in gas and only adds Hp if you've done the tuning for your bike. In fact, many, if not most, bikes lose power when using octaine gas rated higher than the factory recomends.

Was the '02 still carbed? I have the '01.

Refill the tank with some fresh gas. Pull the plugs and make sure that they are not fouled.
After gas sits in the carbs for a while and evaporates, you end up with a varnish coating that clogs jets and messes with your float level.
Water in the gas additives will do nothing for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Zoey...I'll give the siphon thing a try. On my F4i I can see straight into the tank, but the SV has some sort of baffle, so I wasn't sure if I could get a hose to reach the gas. I'll try it tonight. I'm assuming the plugs are fine since it fires right up and idles fine with the choke open. Ohh, and yes the 02 is still carb'd...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

This is exactly what my GF's FZR400 race bike was doing when she first bought it because it had been sitting for several months. The diagnosis was bad gas, bad plugs and dirty carbs (due to the bad gas), and low compression on one of the pistons (though I doubt that is a problem with your SV). Like posted before, high octane gas is worthless, and unless you get all the old gas out of there, putting in new gas doesn't help.

Don't let bikes sit with gas in them for long periods of time. Our race bikes are fired up every week to keep things working.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts

I'm with these guys. Your gas has most likely gone bad, and your carbs have "gummed up" from sitting too long. Clean the carbs out good and I bet the fooker runs like a bat out of hell. :809028-ridin:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well, I drained all the gas and added 1/2 gallon of fresh stuff...same exact problem...it was worth a shot though. I'm gonna try some carb cleaner and a fuel filter next. Keep the ideas coming if you have any...thanks,

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Hoopty said:
Carb cleaner would be my first suggestion... :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd of tried that if I hadn't used it all killing ants recently! :wink: I'll pick up some more on my way home tonight, and post the results. Thanks...

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts

Just a few more thoughts: (assuming that the '02 was carbed as I can't remember).

~Make sure that the choke linkage shaft is getting a full stroke and staying in the out position. Check the entire length of the cable for fraying/strech and contacts.

~You may be having an ignition malfunction. (hope not as that's a big pain in the butt to figure out). :crazy:

Did you drain the float chambers after you siphoned the gas out of the tank? Unless fresh gas is in the carbs, it will continue to stall.

Check for a loose carb to intake manifold leak. Loose connections or missing vacuum guage adaptor screws (vibrate out). Also check the carb tops. They may be loose.

Your engine idle speed may be incorrect. Adjust it with the adjuster knob until the engine runs without the choke. Then re-evaluate the engine speed and adjust it until it's correct.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just an update...last night I tried carb cleaner and pulled the fuel filter and checked/cleaned it (looked great)...still no luck.

Yes, the 02 is carbed. It has not had the carb sync procedure done to it...perhaps that's part of the problem? It's run perfectly since day one, and was running fine last time she rode it. I'm a fuel injection guy...carbs are completely foreign to me! :crazy:

As long as the choke is pulled the bike starts right up and idles high. I did find last night that if I twist the throttle real quick, it'll almost die, then slowly rev up higher and higher to about where it should be. When I drained the gas, I did not drain the carbs (didn't know how to), but it's run for 15-30 minutes at a time trying various things, so I don't see how any old fuel would be in there. Right now I have the airbox off and the lines to it are disconnected...that should be ok right? I'll probably reinstall it and try again just to make sure I haven't "fixed" the problem with the carb cleaner, only to find out it won't run with those lines disconnected.

I'll check the idle speed again, but I've already played with it a bit trying the same thing you suggested. I'll give everything a close look for binding/hardware, but I don't really know what I'm looking at or for so I'll probably miss the obvious thing! :smile: I have the Suzuki shop manual and have been reading up on everything. Worst case I'll take it in to the dealer after the first of the year when things slow down for me...it should be covered under warranty, but I'd like to figure it out myself if possible....at some point I'm going to have to learn about this thing...or give her my F4i and buy me a new bike. :wink: :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the continued ideas...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

If it idles fine while the choke is applied and dies when you release the choke. It sounds as if the carb is set to rich possibly. Plus you said it dies or stuggles when you twist the throttle fast. Another reason why I would think it would be because the carb is set to rich. Just a possibility to look into.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The carbs NEED to come off and be cleaned. You've either got a clogged passage in the carb or a blocked jet. (not getting fuel) SV manuals in pdf form are available online if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

I downloaded the file also, it is the manual :waytogo:. It is a ZIP file. You will need winzip to open it. You can download winzip for free. But winzip will annoy you to buy the prog in 30days everytime you open it. Another prog you can use is WinRAR (its better and totally free). There are 6 or so pdf files in this file. If you need help I will just email the pdf files to you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks, I've got a Suzuki service manual...once I review the manual, I'll either pull the carbs and clean them if it's straight-forward, or just take it in and have it done. Any idea of cost to have it done at the dealer?

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts

It's pretty easy to do yourself. The only pain is getting them out. The throttle cables are a little trying.

I would do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts