Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help please!! My 99 M900 will not start.
If i turn the key around to park, the brake light comes on and the dash light too. But when i turn the key to "on" nothing happens. Sometimes it comes on after 20 or 50 key turns or so, sometimes not. I can hear a relay or something clicking under the seat. I have cleaned out the key cilynder with electrical contact cleaner per advisement from my dealer. please help me any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. I wish I could help you here but I haven't experienced anything like that. It does sound like it is in the switch. Actually, cleaning out the cylinder with contact cleaner wouldn't help unless the key was sticking (mechanically). You need to access the actual contacts and clean them off. Good luck. Hopefully, someone on here can help you out.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
"Clicking"? Check your battery!

This happened to me on my 748, battery ran down while I was messing around for about 45 minutes when I was removing my rear fender...

Just roll it down the drive way and pop the clutch, ride it 10min and all will be fine... that or put the battery on a charger.

M.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Do you use a tender? Check the battery as suggested above and let us know how things turn out.

Do Monsters use a similar ignition relay harness like the 748s? I know in 2000 there was a recall on the harness because it contained carbon and was draining the batteries. /images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the battery is fine. I thought it was dead at first and put a tender on it. But it showed a good charge. sometimes the ignition will come on, and it will start just fine, but only sometimes. and when i turn the key to "park" the brake light comes on.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Still sounds like a bad ignition switch (electrical portion). Any more help from your mechanic (dealership)?

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It's one of two relays.... there's a set of 3 under the seat... I believe it's the one on the right.. give it a good rap. Also, check the relay under the right hand side of the battery. That one's been known to cause all kinds of problems if it goes bad (for example, I couldn't turn my bike off!!) Now that I've put some more thought into it, I'm pretty sure it's the one under the seat.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I believe it's the one on the right.. give it a good rap.

<hr></blockquote>

I just pictured Han Solo beating a wall to fix the hyperdrive. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts
Duc748,

LMAO.../images/icons/laugh.gif You have a wise and lucid mind...

JoBu

·
Registered
159 Posts
bardsong, so did you find out exactly what the problem was? A buddy is mine is having a similar prob. with his new 2000 m900. Let me know what you found out pls. Thanks,

·
Registered
783 Posts
i was having the same kind of problem with my 748. so one day i took the fairing and one of the relays had become loose.

Eric
"some people have to piss on an electric fence to find out for themselves"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks, Stumper

Sounds like everyone is pointing to the relays. Has anyone had to have them replaced or have they just been loose?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts