Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have had a problem with my 2001 Suzuki GSXR600. The FI light came on. The temp guage reads between 151-189 F, so I know it's not too hot and "FI" keeps blinking in place of the temp guage. I don't experience any performance changes since it doesn't feel any different when I idle, accelerate, decelerate, or cruises. The light just comes on. I immediately pull to the side of the road and re-start the engine, the light goes off. Has anyone have a clue what's going on with my bike?

I was hoping the TFi box will help it. No luck. It's happened 3 times since I bought the bike in Nov 2001.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Does it stall? Just out of curiousity, did you happen to change the exhaust at all? Either slip-on or other?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There was a problem with a lot of the 01 600's doing that. The ECU has to be reset I believe. Take it in and have the dealership where you bought it do it. There were a lot of posts about this in the past. Your bike is not fooked up or anything so don't panic.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
793 Posts
J, I knew I saw some something about this at one point or another but couldn't remember where it was. Listen to Jmoney on this, it came up somewhere before.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i've heard about this a million times. your bike isn't messed up. there's just a glich somewhere. take it in have the ecu reset like these guys said. it should take care of it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't stall or anything. The light just comes on. I only notice there's a problem when I look down at my speed and suddenly see the light come on. I still have stock stuff on it. The only thing I changed were the brake lines and added a TRE and TFi Box. Regardless, it's at the dealership right now. They did mention they have had one of their mechanics who has the exact same bike have the exact same problem. They said they may have to change the entire instrument cluster. Who knows. I just hope they fix the problem.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. It makes me feel a lot better. It just sucks not having a ride this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How full was was you gas tank, did you just refuel your bike? If you fill you fuel tank with to much fuel the light will come on until the fuel level goes down. I have had it happen to me a couple of times and every time was right after I had refueled my bike.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I am laughing at the dealer that mentioned replacing the instrument cluster!! It only displays what the ECU tells it to display.

This is a known problem with the '01 600, and there is a prescribed repair. I dont remember the details but one of the sensors is off , I think it was the secondary throttle position, and this confuses the ECU. The warning is totally bogus and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I refueled 2 days ago. It's unlikely that the tank had too much fuel since I ride to work everyday. Someone did tell me about that but I ruled it out since it came on a few days after refueling.

Come to think about it, it would be odd if the dealer did replace the cluster. It just relays information from the sensors on the bike. I'd still have the same problem unless they are right.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine did the same thing.The dealer replaced the control unit
for the secondary throttle butterfly motor.It's located in the tail section,left side,about the size of a pack of smokes.

I've got the cops coming after me,
Custom built bike doin' 103....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts