Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...now that I live in a place with (a) cool weather and (b) good riding, I'm figuring on investing in some leathers for the street and PERHAPS track days down the road.

I know I want 2-piece (will probably use jacket far more) and that I don't want to spend more than say $500. There are options between these three brands - who is the best choice?

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
Ummm...
Your poll is a little fukd.

I have a 2pc JoeRocket GPX suit.
I have it for a couple reasons:
1. GS and I have both crash-tested quite a bit of Joe ROcket gear and it's all lived to see the next day
2. I got a really good deal on it.
3. It fit like a glove. I mean; it was perfect!
4. The jacket it longer than a lot of suits' jackets so it didn't look like I was wearing a mid-drift jacket when I wore it without pants.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
SpikedLemon said:
Ummm...

1. GS and I have both crash-tested quite a bit of Joe ROcket gear and it's all lived to see the next day
4. The jacket it longer than a lot of suits' jackets so it didn't look like I was wearing a mid-drift jacket when I wore it without pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the poll forked? Never used it before. I was trying to make a "vote for one" setup.

Thanks for the info on JR. I went down in a Phoenix & Ballistic pants before, but it was on a soft shoulder and I essentially slid on grass for a little ways.

Since there are mountain roads I'll be on now, I'd prefer leather to textile options. Alpinestars *seems* like the best of the three, but I'm not sure if it is $100 better at the low end (or better at all). I've seen some negative reviews of Teknic, but the gear I've had of theirs has been fine (albeit, untested by a drop).

I own Joe Rocket gear and like it ok, but to be honest think it is not top-quality.

Anyways...thanks for your comments. Please let keep the input coming! :waytogo:

G

·
Don't take my order!!! I want to newenough.com and got the tour master perforated magnum jacket, the apex air perforated pants, and some j rocket velocity boots with 2 day air shipping for $516.09. That's pretty cheap! Please don't take my order which is being processed if you want that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SpikedLemon said:
Ummm...

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW spiked did it get cold when you were wearing no pants when riding I at least like to wear my thong with my jacket :lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd save a little more & buy a nicer model. For just a few hundred more you get much nicer options & better armor. Also try This store for good prices too. A Tekinc Speedstar Jacket/Pant combo wouldn't be to much more & will last even after some spills.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KRG_Designs said:
WOW spiked did it get cold when you were wearing no pants when riding I at least like to wear my thong with my jacket :lol:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... shorts w/ flip-flops count as a "no pants" situation.

back on topic: Yeah, you can tell where they cut some costs in the suit - but I didn't really have the budget; and I had been saving for the past while.

·
Registered
479 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KRG_Designs said:

[/ QUOTE ]

:808919-icon_police: Umm excuse me ma'am I think we need to see further evidence of that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the GPU but it is a one piece. I bought it because of price and fit. I am not an expert on this stuff- but from the shopping I did, it appears that the lower end Alpinestars have larger suit panels, better seam construction and fit taller thinner builds than the JR stuff. I have been happy with it. My suggestion however, is that at the price point you are looking at, the two biggies should be (1) Fit and (2) What kind of armor comes with the suit. The Alpinestars all come with CE approved armor and sliders- the Teknic's come with the thinner dual stage foam armor. You have to pay more for the sliders and the "better" body armor. I am not sure about the JR- I tried one one and it didn't fit me at all.

I should note that I have JR Speedmaster gloves and really like them- no problems for two years on them and have nothing against the brand. I figured I was going to buy something that I could wear on the street and a track day or two that was relatively inexpensive. However, my next suit will be a custom one. Cheers.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well unfortunately the Alpinestars deal suddenly vanished from the site (www.dtmaonline.com) and everyone else has it for $611 instead of the really appealing $479 I was ready to pay.

So...I went with New Enough and got the Joe Rocket GPX 2-piece. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks for the input!

:waytogo:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got the same suit from newenough this fall. So far i like it for the price i paid. The jacket fits perfectly, but the pants are too baggy, but short of going custom, i knew either the jacket or pants wouldn't fit due to my body size. One thing is for sure, the pants are alot more comfortable than jeans or textile pants on long rides.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.