Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hre is the problem: The oil light on my 99 R1 comes on at around 77F and then goes off at about100F. I was riding at very low speeds (not over 40 mph)and the light came on so I stopped. The light then turned off and never came back on (until the next ride). It will even do it at idle speed. I put 2.8l of oil when I changed it last week. I am not riding the bike, however, until I figure out what is wrong with it.
please help!!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
All I know is that my 01 R-1 takes 3.2 L of oil, has the motor changed that much, also you temp show at 77F, my shows Low until at least 110F.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
From what i understand, this is a common problem with our bikes.
A lot of people just fill up to the top "notch" on the site glass.
I heard that some of the 2000's had a problem w/ a sensor that was making the oil light come on
don't know for sure though.

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Actually the 01 manual says it takes 2.85qts w/o filter, 3.07qts w/filter and 3.81qts dry. I just changed mine and put 3.1qts in with a filter change. The oil light thing seems to happen to alot of them. I have seen alot of posts on here about that happening. But, like was said here, I have heard all of them say that if they top it off to the top notch on the glass it is fine. I guess maybe it's fom the small amount of oil the bike uses. Most sportbikes (japs anyway) use around 5qts with a filter change. With only 3qts in the pan I'm sure the level would not have to drop much to set the light. On a 5qt bike you could probably afford to be a 1/2 qt low. Alot less on a 3qt bike.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
262 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

does anybody know how many litres there is in a qrt? Damn metric system!

<hr></blockquote>

The manual says 2.9L(3.07qts) with filter change.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts