Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Maiden Track Voyage for the Triumph was awesome! I got lapped all day long by the Street group because they ended up mixing us (newbees) with them. Tony was riding Street but I'll let him tell you about his experience :waytogo:

I did get to pass some of the other Novice riders though :laugh: Missed the first session because my bike wouldn't start!!! The plugs were trashed from riding the trailer and condensation from the cold. I had to take my gas tank/airbox off, pull the plugs and clean them. That kept me out for about an hour. Didn't push it hard at all. Got some 1min 44sec lap times so not bad. Next time I should do better. And yeah... there will definitely be a next time in the near future :laugh: All of us should go!

Overall it was a cool trip except for the Arctic Winds in the morning! COOOOOLD! We had to sleep in the car and start it every hour or so to stay alive :laugh:

-Nick

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
There were 22 riders total. Nobody wanted to ride in the morning so lapping started around 10am :laugh:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well, I have to say I learned a valuable lesson this weekend.

BRING SPARE PARTS!!!

It was the first session of the day. It was cold. It was damp. I just finished a warmup lap and a second warmup lap at a little faster pace. I was just about to finish my third lap at about the same pace, if not just a tad faster, when I rolled on the gas a split second too soon coming out of T10. The back end stepped out BIG TIME to the right followed by another BIG TIME step out to the left, and that was all she wrote. I tried to hold on a recover, but it just wasn't ment to be. She threw me off we the two of us went sliding into the grass.

After I came to a stop from butt surfing on the grass, I walked over to the RR to survey the damage. She was laying on her left side, and as soon as I picked her up, the damage became very clear. I had bent the left clipon tube, mangled my left rearset, and almost bent off the left rearstand spool. Oh and she had managed to pick up most of the dirt and grass along the side of the track.

Unfortunately I didn't bring any spare parts, and of the few 600RR riders that where there, non of them where running aftermarket rearsets. If I would have had the spare parts, I could have been back on the track by the next sesson, but since I didn't I had to sit the rest of the day out watching for the paddock. :flame:

So all in all I had a kinda dissapointing, but very educational weekend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the triumph wouldnt start. :cwm27: british bikes :808876-nono: oh well, glad you had a good time. you knew id give you hell about your bike. now if you can just talk my wife into letting me go next time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Man, I talked to your wife yesterday! She said she'll think about it. We found this AWESOME Japanese restaurant in Tulsa and I think that was a good selling point for her! It's one of those places where you get your food cooked infront of you. Price ain't bad either. You can also sell that to her! Be a good husband and talk her into the Japanese food and uh... picknick at the track! It's nice and out there and there is a bunch of space for kids to play etc.

You might even get your daughter on a bike out on the track! There was a 5-6 year old kid on a 50cc bike! He was dragging knees and going around corners at 60mph! His dad was following him on a dirt bike with knoby tires! Hell, take your wife for a spin around the track too! People do that all the time. In the lunch break and stuff. Heck, bring your folks on their bikes too and you might get yourself a family outing! It's how you ask, now what you ask :laugh:

Btw, I got to get those leathers back to you some time.

-Nick

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well Tony, sorry to hear you had to sit most of the day out, but at least your OK. Could always be worse. That's the crazy thing about sportbike riders. A normal human who wrecks, would learn not to do that again. A sportbike rider learns to bring spare parts next time! I think I need to get a 600RR now. If I ever have a problem I'll just come over to the Tony Parts Van and fix 'er up! :lol: Well, keep me in touch. I'm going to have a really busy schedule the next 3 months, but I want to make it to the track if I can. I just need at least a week lead time. Also, I don't have a way to get my bike to the track. I either ride it, or bum a lift off someone. :crazy: please? :crazy:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ahbe, I think the folks that aren't going to the Rouge trackday at Barber are planning on going to the RideSmart trackday at Hallett. I think Nick is going to try to talk Bob's wife into letting him go. Heck Bob's dad (zuki busa) and mom (zuki sv1k) might even go too.

Go ahead an mark your calender. It'll be May 7-8. If I remember correctly, the Hallett trackdays are usually $180 for both Friday and Saturday if you pre-register and $200 if you register the day of. You can find out more about it on the RideSmart website. They're not real good about updating their site. So keep checking as the date gets closer. There is, however, some decent info for 1st timers.

Oh and take the family, if you want. RideSmart trackdays are family oriented. There have been many times where I'll see riders bring their families. I'm sure the kids will get a kick out of the bikes zooming by, and Hallett has a play/picnic area too...

And if you do get a 600RR, I'll be more than happy to share some of my spare parts with you, but just remember the first one's free. I'll start charging after that. :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
May 7-8 hu? My second one is due May 1st. Another little boy. I think my wife would kill me if I left the week after (provied the little one comes on time) to go to a track day. Seriously, she would kill me in some slow and painful way. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not giving up hope, I REALLY want to attend the RideSmart school. However, family comes first. We'll see.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Man, I totally understand. Family does DEFINATELY come first. Do what you need to do. I won't be there anyways. I'll be at the Rogue Trackday at Barber. We'll see if we can't get you to a trackday earlier in the year. :wink: Would you be willing to go to Texas? I'm sure RideSmart will have a couple of Trackdays planned earlier in the year, but they'll be in Texas...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad you had a rather disappointing track day - but you guys have a good outlook on it. You'll know for next time!

Actually Hallett is pretty good for da fambly. Only track I know of with a fenced off jungle gym for the kiddies.

Dang, Muley! Tough luck again. I wonder why your bike is so prone to slide around? Did you have fresh tires? Is your sag set correctly? I HATE to think that since it's a Honda it just naturally likes to putt around from Starbucks to Starbucks and throw you off when you want to go fast. :grin:

My little Yammy isn't happy unless I'm puttin' the stick to her. :lol:

It is pretty cool that the track guys (both racers and track day junkies) are rather clean cut group of folks that are very fambly friendly. Almost wouldn't think that, would ya? But going fast without getting hurt is serious business - and most folks that are serious about it um, don't smoke a doob before their next session.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Bo,
The only damage I recieved from the highside was a brused tailbone and a couple of nice bruses on the inside of my left knee. As far as the clipon goes, I ended up bending the left one, but it's no biggie. All I need to do is replace the tube which is just a $12 item... :grin: The replacement parts for the left rearset will be a bit more expensive...

Ahbe,
Great! We'll have to caravan down there one weekend and have some fun at TWS (Texas World Speedway). You'll love it. The course combines part of the old stockcar oval with an inner and outer loop. You can find out more about the track at www.texasworldspeedway.com. The time that I was their we ran the 2.9mi configuration. Once I find out when the dates are, I'll let you know.

rocksmoker,
The slide around was due to a combination of factors.
1) cold morning
2) damp track
3) insuffeciently scrubed take-offs
4) too early on the throttle

It would probably be a good idea to re-check my suspension setup as well. As a matter of fact, I had planned on working on fork settings that day. I had just gotten the forks ready for the zip tie method before the first session...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
MuleMadness said:

rocksmoker,
The slide around was due to a combination of factors.
1) cold morning
2) damp track
3) insuffeciently scrubed take-offs
4) too early on the throttle

It would probably be a good idea to re-check my suspension setup as well. As a matter of fact, I had planned on working on fork settings that day. I had just gotten the forks ready for the zip tie method before the first session...

[/ QUOTE ]

Race take-offs? They're take-off's for a reason. :laugh: Hope they weren't already toasted. I know many racer's don't take 'em off until they are toasted - personally I wouldn't touch 'em with a ten foot pole.

You can bake all the sticky compound out of the tires with heat cycles and still have plenty of rubber left. One of the tell-tale sign is if they have kind of a shiney blue haze on 'em. Leave 'em alone - they're done.

Scrimping on tires can be expensive - especially if it costs you a track day and repair bills. :808876-nono:

With it as cold as it is I wouldn't run anything but DOT tires. Race slicks? No friggen way. You could turn way better lap times and be safer on street tires than full race slicks when it's cold - the race slicks can't get hot enough to stick!

And - have you set your static sag? You ought to do that before you leave the house. Especially for a track day.

For Texas World Dates:

Lone Star Track Days

Interestingly enough - they happen to have track days often on a Friday before a CMRA race weekend. Now how convenient is that? :grin:

Motorsports Ranch is in Cresson just south of Fort Worth. Nice joint.

Monday, February 7th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Monday, February 28th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Friday, March 18th @ The Motorsport Ranch *

::: Monday, April 4th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Friday, April 22nd @ Texas World Speedway *

::: Monday, May 2nd @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Monday, May 23rd @ Texas World Speedway

::: Friday, June 3rd @ The Motorsport Ranch *

::: Monday, June 20th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Monday, July 11th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Friday, July 29th @ Texas World Speedway *

::: Monday, August 8th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Monday, August 29th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Monday, September 19th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Friday, September 30th @ Texas World Speedway *

::: Monday, October 17th @ The Motorsport Ranch

·
Registered
213 Posts
The following dates work for me:

::: Monday, February 7th @ Texas World Speedway <-- Might be kind of cold?!?!

::: Friday, March 18th @ The Motorsport Ranch *

::: Monday, April 4th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Monday, May 23rd @ Texas World Speedway

::: Friday, June 3rd @ The Motorsport Ranch *

::: Monday, June 20th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Monday, July 11th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Friday, July 29th @ Texas World Speedway *

::: Monday, August 8th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Monday, August 29th @ Texas World Speedway

::: Monday, September 19th @ The Motorsport Ranch

::: Friday, September 30th @ Texas World Speedway *

::: Monday, October 17th @ The Motorsport Ranch

Obviously the farther out in the season you go, the less likley I can garantee my schedule. I'm really looking forward to a track day. Next up, I need to get some frame sliders on my bike. Also, what do you guys do to prepare your bike for a track day? I have read the track requirments of removing the mirrors, turns signals, and licence plate; and taping over any your head lights. Is there anything else I should look forward to doing?

·
Registered
567 Posts
rocksmoker,
I wasn't running race slicks, I was running DOT race take offs... I should have known better with the weather being as cold as it was. I probably would have been better off on my Pilot Powers. However, the forcast looked decent before hand, and I was wanting to tryout the DOT race tires. I'm definately going to use fresh rubber or fresher than a race weekend and a trackday weekend take offs next time.

I had my static sag set during the middle of last summer along with adjusting my forks, but I think those settings that may have worked for me then are a bit off now.

Yeah, isn't great that it just so happens that LSTD was nice enough to schedule several trackdays the Friday before CMRA races... It'll give us a chance to practice before the race weekend. :grin:

ahbe,
If you can get the time off from work, you should come down with me and do one of the LSTD trackdays before a CMRA race. You'll have a blast during the trackday and then you can stick around and watch the races that weekend...

As for prepping the bike, you've pretty much covered it. Other than that, I try to make sure that my oil is as fresh as it can be. Needless to say, I won't go and change my oil if it's realatively new, but if I'm coming close to an oil change, I'll go ahead and do it early...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ahbe,

As for the bike prep, sometimes they want you to remove or tape up your passenger footpegs.

Also, if you happen to pick a track day that myself and some guys that I go with, we should be able to help you get your bike there and back.

Just post a message saying when you are planning on going and that you need a lift for your bike and if we are going and have room we'll put your bike on our trailer. :809028-ridin:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Time off work shouldn't be a problem. I just need minimum of a week (preferably 2) to put in the request. I would love to attend a CMRA race. That would make for one awesome race weekend. I sincerely appreciate all your offers to help lift my bike to the track. The sport bike community is a great group of people. I'm proud to ride with you all. (Well, almost all of you. There are a couple of crazy lunatics out there that scare me. :lol:)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts