Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive read plenty of topics about h7 xenon bulbs. now i want to end this debate and get this straight..does using a xenon bulb with a higher wattage burn the wires or damage the harness or any electrical system in ANY way. heard people having problems with 100w bulbs and some not. i know the stock for F4i is a 55w. but does using a 70w or the 100 w damage the wires or harness. i recently bought a pair of Nokya 70w bulbs but dont know if i should install them after hearing about some of the problems people been having. need input thks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No it won't hurt it.

Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs

·
Registered
209 Posts
are H7's really 'xenon' bulbs? i thought you needed special transformers to create the pulses required of high intensity discharge xenon bulbs. i think H7's are just a brighter halogen, no?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Correct. True xenon lamps will run you some money. I know a guy who paid $300 to put them on his 900 RR. Also, with the xenons, he lost his high beams. They look nice, but hyperwhites give the same effect for one-tenth the price and you get high beams with that.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
eh... i wouldn't say exactly the same effect... but for 1/10th the price, the super-whites are... good nuff. right? hahahh I bought one super white bulb for 15$.. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am running 75w hyper-white bulbs in mine, I bumped the fuse from a 15a to a 17.5 amp (not normally something I would recomend doing) because after about a month of running them, it blew the fuse. I am not sure if it was something else that blew the fuse or not, but I have been running them now for another 2 months with no problems....... the light output is great!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I am running 55watt bulb on both sides. One side is white, other side is yellow. The brand of the bulb is "universal"

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
PS. from an electrical engineering standpoint, replacing the fuse is a bad idea, but you're probably ok going 10% off-spec. We usually engineer things to be at least 15% better than they are guarded against. However, this is purely an assumption, and you may have yourself frying an electrical system if this margin-for-error is not large enough to accomodate a larger fuse.

fuses are put there to break, to protect the really expensive stuff, let's not forget that [i know you haven't, but i wanted to say it again]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
donoman, exactly what I was thinking. I have down a fair share of electronics, and electrical engineering myself, and while changing the fuse from called for rating is usually bad, I new Honda wouldn't push the limits of their system to such tight tolerences that I couldn't bump it marginally. If it blows with the fuse I have in place now, I will just put my stock bulbs back in and go back to the standard fuse. But, for the time being, I love the extra light! and it looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but just wanted to give you guys some information, that like the fuse and melted wire thing, has been floating around for a while, with no idea if its true or not..And thats about the high beams. Rumors about a different reflector, for the hi-beam, adjusting the headlight etc..Heres the skinny on it, from my perspective anyway..

1. The reflector for the h-beams IS different than the standard headlight.

2. If you give the vertical headlight adjustment screw for the right side (hi-beam side) a few turns (maybe 8-10 wrist flips) counterclockwise it will lower the beam (do this facing a wall). Once the beam is lowered the lights PRETTY MUCH match each other in brightness from whatever angle you are looking at it from. Although there is a SLIGHT difference in the two, which may only be noticed by someone if they were told to look for it. Afterall the reflectors ARE different, so I dont think u can get it EXACT, but fiddle around a little bit and you can get real close.

I went riding with 2 friends tonight, and my one friend was telling me that he couldnt tell if it was me or the other guy behind him etc..Because the lights matched up so good, just like any other bike that had both lit at one time..Just my .02 cents. Took me 10 mins tops, and now I can leave both headlights on EVEN AT NIGHT without blinding any cages or fellow riders /images/icons/smile.gif. I guess it was a big deal to me LOL. asthetically wise. Sick of bastiges saying "you have a headlight out"....Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks G_Man, I didn't know there was an adjustment screw! I might have to give it a try.... do you have to pull the front off at all? for around town having it lowered would be great, but I ride out in the country also, and I would hate to lose what the high beam does for you, unless I could easilly set it back, without pulling it into a garage.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah actually its pretty bright due to the fact that you have BOTH lit now..But there is definatly more light! I will do my best with a pic to show you where to adjust it. No removal of anything. If you can insert a screwdriver into a hole and turn it you will be done in about 3 minutes. Now lemme find a pic of where to do it..Ok got one..This one was to show how to re-route the clutch cable away from the speedo, but it will work..It may take you a sec to get the phillips head into the screw head beings you cant see it, but when you do, counterclockwise is down, clockwise is up. Give it a try, if no likey, put it back, and 1 minute of your life was wasted /images/icons/smile.gif. Let me know if ya like the results!

G

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i also have the MAX gold yellow bulb for the hi beam...its really noticeable from a distance for the cagers..i think lowering it to match the low beam would defeat this purpose.. i want everyone to see me

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Trust me, they see me..Those lights will bore a hole in your retina no matter what direction they are pointed LOL. Its only a few turns down anyway. I guess I'm just a squid wanting the lights to match.. /images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Registered
73 Posts
H7 bulbs? are they the same fitting as H4? I was wondering about putting 100watt main 80w dip bulbs in my 'Blade but thought this a might too much for the wiring, alternator, etc.... If you guys in the US get 70W or 75w Xenon 'type' bulbs then this could be an option. Are these available as twin filament?
If they would fit does anyone have a contact for mail order from US to the UK?

Faster, faster, faster!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey Machine..no they r not the same fit..H4 has 3 prongs and H7 has only 2. and H7 does not come in dual filament :)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I was expalining about the headlight adjustment to you guys, and had the digital camera in hand today, so figured I would snap a couple off for you to show you that they are pretty even. One standing, another looking head on:

G

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
how many of you would be interested in getting some of the bulbs anyway? .... i am a car stereo dealer and i can get these bulbs through one of my distributors along with the alteza lights and that kinda good stuff .... anyway if there was enough of you guys that wanted them i could order a bunch of them and havethem shipped to you ... just trying to help and ill try to save you some money to boot .. oh and btw if you ever need any mobile electronics i would be glad to take care of all of you on here, (even clova, ian, and noud):). ill do you guys just bare minimum over my cost ... i like to think someone else on here would do the same for me if they could

http://webpages.charter.net/fullforce

1 - 20 of 35 Posts