Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 GSXR1000 and LOVE the POWER but now that the new GSXR750 produces as much power as my first 2000 R1 did, what r your thoughts as to downsizing to the 750? Is it more fun....less fun?
Let's face it.....on the street, do any of us use the 1K power or would it actually be more fun to have to have to use a few more rpm?

Thoughts??

Dreaming of Spring,
Matte

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
On the street if you ride the twisties a lot the 750 will probably ne more fun , its easier to ride and youll probably be faster on it . Also its fun to smoke people on there liter bikes with something smaller

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I love the feeling of winding it out and really riding the hell out of a bike. To me, that's more fun than straight up acceleration! I like to feel that I am flogging my girls, not the other way around. :waytogo: If low-end power is something you can't live without then don't switch, otherwise give it a try! /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Matte220 said:
I have an 02 GSXR1000 and LOVE the POWER but now that the new GSXR750 produces as much power as my first 2000 R1 did, what r your thoughts as to downsizing to the 750? Is it more fun....less fun?
Let's face it.....on the street, do any of us use the 1K power or would it actually be more fun to have to have to use a few more rpm?

Thoughts??

Dreaming of Spring,
Matte

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO and based on my riding I'd have to say that is less fun.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back let me explain that when I went from a 2000 GSXR750 to a 2001 GSXR1000 the first thing that I noticed was LACK OF TORQUE -- and this my friend will be the main reason why you'll miss your 1000.

If I had the money to spend on two bike it would have to be these two -- the 750 for track and the 1000 for every day and weekend riding.

The 750 feels lighter due to its lighter reciprocating mass. It will go easy on your tires due to its low torque. And IMO would make a perfect track-bike with its winning 14k rpm engine, make you feel you're on a 2 stroke GP bike.

The 1000 wheelies at will, it accelerates like a bat out of hell, but will tear your tires apart like they were freshly cooked doughnuts.

Oh yes, and in the turns, the 750 is more forgiving than the 1000 -- try giving it a little too much throttle and the rear will go south before you know it.

But knowing how tempermental the 1000 is and testing its limits with yours will make you (IMO) a better rider.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Well said, Canche. :waytogo: If you can't live without the gobs of low-end torque, then you don't want to go with the 750. On the track however, you will never be running around at low RPM's, so that's a moot point. :coolgleamA:

·
e-pariah
6,640 Posts
I think I'll throw in my two cents; I have the 02 GSXR 750, and its great fun at sea level to about 5000 Ft. altitude. When I ride Angeles Crest (6000 – 7500) Ft. I really miss the HP. Summer 03 in Colorado at 7000 – 12500 Ft. my 750 was seriously sick! I think I could easily adapt to the extra HP at sea level, so as not to sacrifice so much in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
jeffsback said:
I think I'll throw in my two cents; I have the 02 GSXR 750, and its great fun at sea level to about 5000 Ft. altitude. When I ride Angeles Crest (6000 – 7500) Ft. I really miss the HP. Summer 03 in Colorado at 7000 – 12500 Ft. my 750 was seriously sick! I think I could easily adapt to the extra HP at sea level, so as not to sacrifice so much in the mountains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff please tell me your not a Super Squid With Invinsibility Powers..

·
e-pariah
6,640 Posts
Well… No, I’m not a super squid, well, at least not any more… And as far as my invincibility powers are concerned they were removed when I was quite young, along with a small portion of my liver after a high flying stunt on a screaming dirt machine; although the way some of the cage drivers operate in my presents it almost seems as if I am magically invisible to them.

I do have an extreme passion for the ride, yet I love my family and my healthy life style proportionately today. As Dirty Harry is so fond of saying “A man’s just got to know his limitations”. Good advice that I could not have heeded in my youth if my life depended on it, (as it often did) at forty plus years of age, I do know my limitations today, and those of my ride. I enjoy pushing myself, in an effort to stretch that limit, fully accepting the possible financial and physical consequences that surely influence my decisions today; I’m no stranger to broken bones, or depleted savings accounts.

I do own a full set of gear I call the Suzuki Express; I don’t leave home without it! As you have pointed out in your post, I do enjoy showing off from time to time. To others who enjoy performing simple stunts, for your own enjoyment and/or the enjoyment of others; I will offer these three points of advice:

(1) Know your limitations, and those of your machine.

(2) Be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions: physical, financial, or legal.

(3) I believe there’s a time and a place for everything, even doing tricks; but the first trick you need to learn is: ”Learn to tell what time it is”!

PS: "crazy", Great shots of your boy, surley a chip off the block!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
That's what I'm talkin' about, coyn!!! :bow: :grin:

My first race ever, I was on my 01 SV650S which falls in the lightweight endurance class here. They just so happen to run that at the same time as heavy weight endurance (1000CC twins, 750 fours) and I laid waste to quite a few experts on GSXR 750's. :laugh: I heard from some spectators that the experts' friends in the stands were dogging them hard core for some novice on an SV passing them. :lol: No greater feeling IMO. :809028-ridin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts