Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unning from 7 grand to redline, down shift and the thing just dies. Pull in the clutch, down shift another gear, let the clutch out to try to restart and rear just slides. Pull over, hit the start button and nothing. Turn key off and on, hit start button, fires right up. So we continue ... I take it easy.

Approximately 5 miles later, running around 7 grand, dies again! Pull in clutch, and she idles a little, then dies completely. Pull over, we discuss possible problems. Some guys are sure it's the fuel filter, others swear it's electrical, and some claim the tank isn't getting pressurised (but no one is sure if it's even supposed to be).

So, fire her back up, and rode all the way home (70 miles) keeping her under 6 grand ... no problem!

The last 4 miles I run her up to 8 or 9 grand for a mile or two and runs fine.

Any ideas?

I've already checked the battery cables ... tight. And the ECU cables ... in good condition. And the Diag mode ... "0".

Hmm ... what next?

"Do you know what 'the world' is to me? Shall I show it to you in my mirror?" Nietzsche

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hmmm. If it was a Falco, I'd say to check the damned kickstand switch. But I don't think the Mille had the same problem. Sounds very much like a gas flow problem. Maybe a dead bird at the bottom of the tank or something! Any backfiring or anything? Bad gas? Only over 7 grand........maybe a problem with the V-Tec..........oh no wait, that's the rediculous Honda! /images/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
01Busa 01Mille~ BlueShirt had a similar problem if I remember correctly. We were getting on the parkway and his Mile died also. Started it up, went fine and then died again. I believe his problem was related to him chaning the spark plug wires. Maybe check the connection and try a test run.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've checked all the electronics.

At the shop today, they asked me if I've ever run out of gas. If so, the fuel pump is probably bad. I've run out of gas twice! So that's probably it.

New fuel pump is only $216! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

"Do you know what 'the world' is to me? Shall I show it to you in my mirror?" Nietzsche

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ok, this might sound dumb.. but how does running out of gass bust up your pump?

Jonathan

Will work for motorcycle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pump is lubricated by fuel. No fuel ... no lubrication ... much friction ... much heat ... much bad.

I ordered a new pump and fuel filter today. They'll be in late next week. I'll post an update after I get 'em installed.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
That running out of gas story sounds a bit fishy to me. How long would anyone keep the ignition and thus the fuel pump on after the engine died from lack of fuel?. If the fuel pump overheats and burns out after just a few seconds of dry running then something else is up. But hey if a new pump fixes the bike and you are happy then who am I to question anything. I sure wish they would make it more commonly known that running out of gas could lead to a $200+ repair bill. Sure no one else finds that hard to stomach?.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I know car pumps are the same way, if you run very low on gas and take a corner at a fair pace it will slosh the fuel away from the pump and could damage it. I have a 3rd gen F-body that ran out of gas and that was it, had to drop the exhaust and the fuel tank to get to it though. He's right about the fuel lubing the pump.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts