Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a email from a retailer that I have placed orders with notifying me that they had sony mini-disc players for cheap .
They are refurbs but they come with a 90 day warrenty which seems appropriate . I know pretty much nothing about these other then my neighbor had one and it seemed pretty cool.
From what I see you can store mp3's on these little discs and it will play them back ?
Can you also store cd quality music on them and does this player in particular have pretty good specs.
The purchase price on this is 39.99 + 8.00 in shipping . Is that reasonable . :grin:

:help:

SONY MZ-N510 TYPE S HIGH SPEED NET MD

Leading the industry in digital music, Sony NetMD™ will maximize your entertainment. Record MP3s or CDs at Up to 32x* Speed, enjoy ATRAC3™ Audio, MP3, WMA, and WAV Playback, and utilize MDLP™ Long Time Stereo Playback for playing more than five hours of music on one 80 minute disc. Music Management Software like the supplied SonicStage™ Software and the Net MD Simple Burner Application, plus REALONE™ Player Compatibility make managing your music a snap. Connect to music wherever you go with the MZ-N510 Type S.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

SKIP-FREE PROTECTION
Skip-Free** G-Protection Technology adds shock protection to the pick-up mechanism, thereby minimizing the loss of position. Skip-Free G-Protection technology continues to provide quick recovery from both horizontal and vertical shock
**Reduces or eliminates skipping during many active uses

RECORD YOUR MP3s OR CDs
"Easy Skip" Group/Folder Function
Automatic End Search Recording Function
Bookmark Function (lets you mark sections of disc for easy retrieval and playback of your favorite songs)
"Easy Skip" Group/Folder Function
Automatic End Search Recording Function
Record Your MP3s Or CDs At Up To 32X* Speed
*When recording in LP4 mode - results vary based on PC specifications and does not include title transfer.

COMPATIBILE PLAY FORMATS
Plays Back in ATRAC3™, Supports Multiple Internet Audio Formats (MP3, WMA, WAV)
Data Compression Method (Coding): ATRAC®/ATRAC3™ (Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding)

MEDIA FORMAT
Format: Digital Audio MiniDisc System
Utilizes Affordable MD Media for Over 5 Hours of Music Storage on One 80 Minute Disc - Choose your recording level preference (LP2 or LP4). Store over 5 hours of music on one 80 minute disc using LP4 mode. MiniDiscs are re-recordable, scratch-resistant, low-cost high-capacity media

EASY EJECT MECHANISM
Easy Pop-up Eject Mechanism makes it fast and easy to insert or remove MiniDiscs

2-LINE LCD DISPLAY
Remaining Recording/Playback and Battery Time Indicator on Unit LCD alerts you to the time left on the MiniDisc for additional recording or to conclude playback, as well as information about remaining battery life .

BE YOUR OWN PERSONAL DJ
Multiple Playback Modes - Normal-all repeat, 1 track, 1 track repeat, shuffle, shuffle repeat, program, program repeat; Group-all repeat in a group, 1 track in a group, 1 track repeat in a group, shuffle in a group, shuffle repeat in a group, program 1 in a group, program repeat in a group; or lets you play through a MiniDisc from start to end.

Bookmark Function lets you mark sections of disc for easy retrieval and playback of your favorite songs.

Digital Sound Preset lets you recall sound quality settings you like for listening to different discs.

CREATE YOUR OWN MD DISCS
Ability to Record from Multiple Sources including PC, portable CD player, home CD unit and radio, making this a most versatile system.

Automatic end search recording function informs you, with the press of a button, how much unrecorded time remains on a disc and begins additional recording from that point.

"Easy Skip" Group/Folder Function allows for easy navigation between multiple file folders transferred from playlist.

BATTERY
Internal Battery Compartment Holds 1 "AA" Type Battery so there is no need for a separate battery case.
Up to 56 Hours Continuous Playback Using 1 "AA" Battery (LP4 Mode) is made possible by advanced technology that extends battery life beyond previous limits

Battery Life (approx.):
SP (Normal Stereo):
1 x "AA" Alkaline - 10 hrs Record, 42 hrs Playback
LP2 Mode:
1 x "AA" Alkaline - 14 hrs Record, 48 hrs Playback
LP4 Mode:
1 x "AA" Alkaline - 18.5 hrs Record, 56 hrs Playback

AC Adapter Supplied provides power from an outlet when a battery is not available.

POWER REQUIREMENTS
AC-ES305K AC Adapter (supplied), NH-7WMAA Rechargeable Battery (optional, not included), "AA" Alkaline Battery x 1 (optional, not included)

COLOR
Silver

TECH SPECS
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
Wow and Flutter: Unmeasurable
Frequency Response: 20-20,000Hz +/-3dB
Outputs: Headphones/Remote (stereo mini)
Inputs: DC In 3V, USB (2.0 full speed), Optical Line In (stereo mini jack)

SOFTWARE
Music Management Software Supplied to manage and store your digital music files (MP3s and your CDs), make custom playlists and transfer music directly to your Net MD player

SonicStage™ Software and Net MD Burner Application Included - SonicStage is a music management application which enables you to rip, import and transfer your digital music files to the Net MD recorder. The Net MD simple burner application enables you to dub your CD tracks directly to your Net MD recorder using your CD-ROM drive. This gives you all the music you want without storing music on your hard drive

Compatible with RealOne™ Player - RealOne is a music management system which lets you download, create playlists and transfer music to your Net MD

SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES
Supplied Accessories: AC-ES305K AC Power Adapter, MDR-027LP Stereo Headphones, SonicStage™ ver 1.5 CD-ROM with Net MD Simple Burner Software

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
Dimensions(WxHxD): 3- 1/4" x 1-1/8 x 3" (81.0 x 27.7 x 74.4mm)
Weight: 3.6 oz (103g) without battery

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Re: Gift idea? sony minidisc?? HELP

Minidisk:MP3 Player :: Laserdisk:DVD

IMHO, spend that $30 on a portable CD player, or spend the $100 for an mp3 player. Hell, they might even be cheaper than that now.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Gift idea? sony minidisc?

Okay .. I just found out if I wanted one of these brand new I would have to pay about 450$

Now that I know I got such a good deal I am considering keeping it myself.
But should I .. I was just looking for a cheap gift to give a friend .

http://shop.ryda.com.au/main_itemdetail....&search123=

So I got it fro 48.00 and it retails for about $400.00 ..

should I keep it or still give it away ?

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Re: Gift idea? sony minidisc?

To get MiniDiscs to play MP3 you have to use their CRAP sofware to convert to ATRAC. Ugh. Major pain in the neck.

I just converted CDs to ATRAC and would get like 4-5 albums on a disc. Then the discs started to get read errors.

I have an iPod now. I'll sell my MiniDisc cheap if you want it. It's in perfect shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts