Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so I have till May before I have to decide to join the military or not. I graduate college in May and I want to have my decision to join or not made by then.

So in the mean time I want to try and get into shape. That way in basic it will be more mental than physical. What service I'm still not sure. It could be army, navy, air force or even marines.

I know swimming would be good but that's not really an option. I might be able to go swimming every other week. I'm trying to run at least a mile as many days a week as possible right now. Plus, I'm doing about 200 sit ups and push ups a day. I do some in the afternoon and some at night.

I know the point of basic is to get the recruit into shape but I would like to be somewhat prepared.

EDIT: I've also started reading what ever books I can find on joining. I bought The Complete Idiots Guide to Careers in the Military and I've checked out some books from my university's library. I also plan on studying some more for the ASVAB incase I have to take it again.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Looks like you have a good head start on things. Push-ups, sit-ups and running are the key basic things to concetrate on. You will do A LOT of those in Basic. Any Army questions, pm me, and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
More running. Lots more!

For added fun, see if you can plan your route to go past playgrounds. Almost all of them have some sort of "monkey bars" you can use to do pullups, dips, etc. Really ups the intensity.

There are a number of fitness books put together by ex SpecOps guys, as well. A number of years ago, I picked one that was meant for those prepping for SEAL training. The routines were insane, and no one with a regular life would have the time to do it all, but those sorts of guides provide a decent baseline for creating your own regimen.

Good luck with your decision! :waytogo:

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
slorch said:
More running. Lots more!

For added fun, see if you can plan your route to go past playgrounds. Almost all of them have some sort of "monkey bars" you can use to do pullups, dips, etc. Really ups the intensity.

There are a number of fitness books put together by ex SpecOps guys, as well. A number of years ago, I picked one that was meant for those prepping for SEAL training. The routines were insane, and no one with a regular life would have the time to do it all, but those sorts of guides provide a decent baseline for creating your own regimen.

Good luck with your decision! :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]Hey when was the last time you did any real exercise there buddy? :grin:

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Perhaps you'd better sign on for another year in the sandbox! Wouldn't want you to have an unpleasant surprise upon returning Stateside. :kaboom:

Oh, and your nine trips to the head each night do not count as exercise!
:crazy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and your nine trips to the head each night do not count as exercise!
:crazy:

[/ QUOTE ]

Slorch-
The Depends "undergarments" alleviated the need for that!

On the fitness side of things, the other point I would make is start waking up EARLY, REALLY EARLY. like 4 am, and running and doing calesthenics in the early morning hours. not only is it good for you, it will take away the shock when you have to rise and shine in your military life. Good luck! :waytogo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.