Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported by RRW Team Hammer, Inc./Team M4 EMGO Suzuki has signed May to ride Superstock and Supersport in '05 alongside returning Vincent Haskovec who will be racing Superstock and FX. Nice to see May move closer to a factory ride.

Changed link to point to article :smile: - <font color="green">IRR </font>

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
indianaroadracer said:
Good for Geoff :waytogo:
I'm looking forward to seeing Team Valvoline back up front!

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you better start watching NASCAR!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, that was pretty cool seeing that. That dude was one of the
TRUE privateers. I can remember a few races were he was sitting there totally working on his bike, no one there to help him.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for dialing in the link, IRR :waytogo:. My browser didn't list the article-specific address (i.e., I'm too computer-stupid to have figured it out :smirk:).

[ QUOTE ]
indianaroadracer said:
Should have known great sponsorship doesn't last forever :frown:

Yep, no sign of Valvoline on current sponsor page
Team Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence no sign of "Valvoline" in the Team M4 EMGO Suzuki name; although I have to admit to doing a double-take myself when I read it the first time--just so used to seeing "Valvoline EMGO Suzuki" for so many years.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
besides, who has ever sought out valvoline products/chemicals for anything besides their car/nascar/double-wide trailer anyways...? :crazy: made for a great livery though. :smile: as such, looks like the base colors will be retained.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I guess that is the reason that it is so hard to bring sponsors into the sport of motorcycle racing. Our race fans don't have the same level of brand loyalty to supporters of the sport like NASCAR does.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, setting aside the (very real) potential to create any individual/personal "brand loyalties" amongst a fan base, the key to gaining sponsorship is to be able to provide as much sponsor exposure as possible to the sponsor's desired demographic. As far as NASCAR Cup sponsorship goes, the numbers work out way in favor of sponsoring a Cup car, in terms of total $$ spent and national TV audience exposure time--in seconds/minutes--gained versus paying for commercial shoots and buying 30 sec - 1 min ad slots on TV.

Unfortunately, at present, while the investment in an AMA team is a fair bit less than that required for a NASCAR Cup team, the exposure is disproportionately less--the numbers just don't yield an attractive result. (I'd venture to guess that you could field, say, a Craftsman Truck Series team for the same kind of $$ to run a competitive, albeit privateer, Superbike effort, and gain much more exposure with the CTS team than the bike team.)

As far as Valvoline goes, I'd surmise that it was their very lack of appeal/market share in the motorcycle market that inspired them to sponsor--and continue to sponsor--a MRR team, and, as a fan of the sport, I was glad to see them here and sorry to see them go. Granted, in all honesty, I wouldn't put their oil in my bike (it's not like the Valvoline going into the racebikes was the same sh*t you could buy in the stores, anyway), but, to show my support of their presence in bike racing, I'd just as soon put their products in my old F-150 as I would anyone else's. H*ll, if I were a team owner or rider right about now, I'd be more than happy to tout the virtues of "Aunt Jemima Lubricants" if it ensured putting--and keeping--a bike on the track: "Not good for motorcycles, but GREAT on pancakes." :grin:

Anyway, back to Geoff May--it'll be good to see what he can do on (what should be) some considerably better equipment, and in Superstock, where the overall competition is both better and tighter (than Superbike), IMO.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I really do hope all the best for Geoff, but in all honesty, I think his restults in SBK last year are going to be better then his results in superstock this year. There are a lot more fast guys at the front of Superstock than in SBK. I mean, it is not like he didn't stand a chance in SBK because of the difference in machinery between factory and privateer, but would have done soooo much better in superstock because the machinery is more competetive. He DID race superstock last year for most of the rounds. I hope he proves me wrong though.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Glad to see May get a paying ride. Kind of surprised Erion didn't snatch him up. Wonder who we'll see on that team?

·
Registered
944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KurtsSV said:
Glad to see May get a paying ride. Kind of surprised Erion didn't snatch him up. Wonder who we'll see on that team?

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've read you'll probably only see supersport and maybe superstock Erion bikes this coming year. So The youngest Gobert and someone else.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:
[ QUOTE ]
KurtsSV said:

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've read you'll probably only see supersport and maybe superstock Erion bikes this coming year. So The youngest Gobert and someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Kurtis Roberts on a SBK and Jeff Ward on FX (at least for Daytona).

I'm glad to see that May is so far proving me wrong in the Superstock category. He seems to be doing pretty good at the DIS test, fastest superstock rider on Wed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Did anyone else notice Team Valvoline/EMGO Suzuki is now Team M4/EMGO Suzuki, on Pirellis? Johns really shuffling the deck here.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:
Did anyone else notice Team Valvoline/EMGO Suzuki is now Team M4/EMGO Suzuki, on Pirellis? Johns really shuffling the deck here.

[/ QUOTE ]

/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The Pirelli tires part was pointed out in another thread (by KurtsSV in Shamar's "Lets get ready to rumble--DIS), but as for the rest, did you not read the first page of this thread?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I think it was noticed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
south said:
[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The Pirelli tires part was pointed out in another thread (by KurtsSV in Shamar's "Lets get ready to rumble--DIS), but as for the rest, did you not read the first page of this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was a rhetorical question really, leading to my suggestion that Mr Ulrich seems to be trying some new things after years of working with a few specific companies, and not getting the results he, or maybe they, wanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts