Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not something ya get to see everyday... unless of course you attend the LRRS at NHIS. i may have mentioned in passing that the notable jerry wood (father of eric and jeff) who runs the Penguin School actually races one throughout the season up at Loudon. well i attended the finale on sunday and man was it FAST...!!! well actually it's JERRY that's fast, but of course the bike has also got to be able to keep up. it sounded sweet and looked good doin' it. :grin: don't have a pic unfortunately... he was just movin' too fast. :lol: i post this just to say that seeing one in action really validates the idea that ducati needs to crank "a modern run". on cue, loyal ducatisti will line up "7-ways to sunday" to buy one. :laugh:

excerpt from roadracingworld...

[ QUOTE ]
Vahan Buchakjian had long sealed the championship in Ultralite Superbike aboard his Michelin-equipped Ducati 750. For the final round, Jerry Wood rolled out his 1993 Ducati 570 Supermono and put it on the grid. Meanwhile Joe Kessler gridded his YZ Supermoto alongside Sliderule Racing’s Chris Bruno aboard a Dunlop-shod Aprilia RS250. 40 others filled out what was one of the biggest and most diverse fields of the weekend.

Wood led them into turn 1 with Kessler 2nd and Tom Barry following aboard his venerable Honda Hawk. With a surprisingly strong start, Bruno ran 4th trailed by Buchakjian and Russ Dancho aboard another Duc 750. Wood pulled out a quick gap, but by the half-flags, the fastest bike on the track was Bruno’s little Aprilia running at class record pace in the high 1:16 second bracket. After studying the Motard’s odd lines for a couple laps, Bruno took Kessler on the brakes up the inside entering turn one, and quickly set out after Jerry Wood. With one to go, he nearly threw it away, allowing Kessler to close back up at the stripe. Buchakjian and Barry rounded the top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ultra Lite SBK
1. Jerry Wood, Duc 570 Supermono
2. Chris Bruno, Apr RS250
3. Joe Kessler, Yan YZ450F
4. Vahan Buchakjian, Duc 750SS
5. Tom Barry, Hon Hawk 650

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
570cc single /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

looks sweet though :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Shamar,

We've gotta customer that's converting a 996 into a "Supermono". I think he's using one jug from a big bore kit (1026cc?) to make a 513cc bike. He's using the same idea with the faux cylinder and everythin'.

I heard a rumor not too terribly long ago that Ducati was working on a supercharged ~600cc single for a modern version of the Supermono. Could you imagine riding a bike with 70-something hp weighing under 300lbs? I guess for now I'll have to make do with 52hp and 240lbs on my Supermoto ( :tongue: )

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
We've gotta customer that's converting a 996 into a "Supermono". I think he's using one jug from a big bore kit (1026cc?) to make a 513cc bike. He's using the same idea with the faux cylinder and everythin'.

[/ QUOTE ]
sounds diggity dope... keep us posted. :waytogo:

[ QUOTE ]
I heard a rumor not too terribly long ago that Ducati was working on a supercharged ~600cc single for a modern version of the Supermono.

[/ QUOTE ]
you've heard that one too... ehh...? :rolling: ducati needs to "sh!t" or get off the proverbial "pot".

·
Registered
1 Posts
not something ya get to see everyday... unless of course you attend the LRRS at NHIS. i may have mentioned in passing that the notable jerry wood (father of eric and jeff) who runs the Penguin School actually races one throughout the season up at Loudon. well i attended the finale on sunday and man was it FAST...!!! well actually it's JERRY that's fast, but of course the bike has also got to be able to keep up. it sounded sweet and looked good doin' it. 😁 don't have a pic unfortunately... he was just movin' too fast. :lol: i post this just to say that seeing one in action really validates the idea that ducati needs to crank "a modern run". on cue, loyal ducatisti will line up "7-ways to sunday" to buy one. :laugh:

excerpt from roadracingworld...

[ QUOTE ]
Vahan Buchakjian had long sealed the championship in Ultralite Superbike aboard his Michelin-equipped Ducati 750. For the final round, Jerry Wood rolled out his 1993 Ducati 570 Supermono and put it on the grid. Meanwhile Joe Kessler gridded his YZ Supermoto alongside Sliderule Racing’s Chris Bruno aboard a Dunlop-shod Aprilia RS250. 40 others filled out what was one of the biggest and most diverse fields of the weekend.

Wood led them into turn 1 with Kessler 2nd and Tom Barry following aboard his venerable Honda Hawk. With a surprisingly strong start, Bruno ran 4th trailed by Buchakjian and Russ Dancho aboard another Duc 750. Wood pulled out a quick gap, but by the half-flags, the fastest bike on the track was Bruno’s little Aprilia running at class record pace in the high 1:16 second bracket. After studying the Motard’s odd lines for a couple laps, Bruno took Kessler on the brakes up the inside entering turn one, and quickly set out after Jerry Wood. With one to go, he nearly threw it away, allowing Kessler to close back up at the stripe. Buchakjian and Barry rounded the top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ultra Lite SBK
1. Jerry Wood, Duc 570 Supermono
2. Chris Bruno, Apr RS250
3. Joe Kessler, Yan YZ450F
4. Vahan Buchakjian, Duc 750SS
5. Tom Barry, Hon Hawk 650

[/ QUOTE ]
I have raced with Jerry, Ah Mr. Wood, a couple times on that bike. My Hawk turned out 75-Hp and weighed just shu of 330-lbs wet. It was no joke Hawk that my cousin Carl Sargent and I built. I believe it was the Jimmy Adamo Memorial from 2001 where I got a great start off the line and led Jerry into turn 3 where he braked hard into turn 3 with a block pass. Not sure why but I turned in anyway. Being the expert racer Jerry was he saved us both from crashing by giving the corner to me. Fully expecting him to take me in the bowl or around the back side in 9 or 10, 11 1 or 2 on lap 2 he did not come. He patiently waited until the next time we came to turn 3 where he came up on the outside and stuffed me the same as I did him. From there he took off to win the race. Great safety director, great racer, and over-all great guy from the little interactions I did have with him.
Tom Barry - former "expert" LRRS Racer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts