Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 suzuki gsxr600, I'm planning to get an exhaust for it. Any suggestion?... If I was to buy the full system, do I have to do any other modification? or can I just take out the stock and put in the full system. What are the advantages of a full system vs. a bolt on?... I also plan to get a power commander too... which one should I get?

Thanks! :help:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Bolt on is just for noise and looks ,while the full system will give you more power . You willnot need a Power commander for the bolt on , full system it will be needed . Modifications , none are required for either. My recomendations for exhaust check out Hindle , great power at an affordable price .

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Bolt-ons just are for looks and sound..the power increase is not noticeable. A full-system will get you more power but they are a bitch to install and you have to remap the fuel injection to compensate for it. The power commander model you need will be listed on the dynojet site, so go look it up there.

As always, I recommend taking the money you would spend on a pipe and PCIII ($1000 plus) and spending it on track days. It will make the bike a lot faster because it will improve what controls the bike, i.e. you.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
Bolt on is just for noise and looks ,while the full system will give you more power .

[/ QUOTE ]

When you guys say "bolt on", you mean an aftermarket slip-on can, right? Just an aftermarket exhaust can, when your bike is remapped, will give you more power because it is allowing the engine to be a more efficiant air pump. Stock exhaust cans have baffling in them that slows down how fast the exhaust can flow out. Aftermarket exhaust cans are straight through cans (at least the good one are, if it's not a straight through can, then what's the point?) Since the air can flow freely out of the exhaust can, you can remap your bike to have it pull in more gas and air since it can now push more out.

You can get a little more power out of a full system compared to a slip-on because aftermarket headers are sometimes slightly bigger and are bent differently to promote better flow. But regardless, unless you remap, you won't get much improvement besides noise.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If all you want it sound and looks, get a bolt on (slip on). If you are looking for sound, looks AND power, get yourself a full system. I wouldn't bother with a PC3 unless you get the full system. Hindle is good, Yoshimura is good, M4 is another one of my favorites. Tell us what you want out of your pipe, and we can help you more.

Also, as Mr Norem said, if you want to get faster, spend the time/money on track days. It will do more for you than any amount of money spent on mods. :waytogo:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Kurt- a bolt on is essentially the same thing as a slip on. Older GSXR's (like the 01-03 600, not positive about the newest design) have the can bolted onto the headers, so the new one bolts right up there, as opposed to "slipping" the can on the original header. :waytogo:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys!... Well, I kinda want everything... looks, sound, and power. I'm thinking about getting the full yoshimura carbon fiber, but I couldn't find any on ebay. Will the yoshimura full system for 2001-2003 fit my 2004 model?... If I was to get the full system, where can I go to get it remapp?

thanks again...

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If it fits an 03, then it should fit your 04 no problem; they redesigned them in 03. :waytogo: Where do you live? If you've got a performance shop near you you could get a custom map done on a dyno. Otherwise, you could download a basic map for whatever pipe you get from the website.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
hoopty

the 04' is a completely diff model

the 01-03 is the 600

00-03 for the 750

04' new for 600 and 750

·
Registered
358 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
crazycuRRie954 said:
I would look into an M4 Exhaust... Louie At L&L says that by far those are the best pipes for the suzukie right now from his dynoing experiance... :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]
Jason you should be shot for spelling SUZUKI wrong. get some spellcheck for god sakes,"experiance"??? We're going full Yoshimura on my Suzuki's but power commanders are a must with the full system right away.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hoopty and the rest -

I was always tought that a bolt on just replaces the Can (hence you unbolt the can and bolt on the new can to the mid pipe, this is what my ZX7R had) and a slip-on was where you actually change out and slip on the mid pipe and can.

Just trying to clarify what I know thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
This is true, however not all bikes have the can bolted on to the mid-pipe (like the SV650). You have to cut the mid-pipe on them to slip the replacement can on. :waytogo:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread ill ask my question on this thread.

Wouldnt getting a just a new can be benifical for the Gsxr600 because of that crazy flux in the low end with the stock exhaust. From most of the manufactures its showing just a new can will get rid of that thing and give you a much smoother curve.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just put a new RS-3 can on my 04 600 and not much of a power increase. The decrease in the weight department is another story it just flat looks better and sounds a whole lot better than the factory set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just added a Yosh Trs slip on, the kind that removes the exhast valve in the pipe and aded a [email protected] filter...and it is wicked fast!!! It scared me the first time I wicked it up!! I can't believe the improvement. I was thinkin of gettin another bike to get MO POWWA, but not now. I also added a longer shock linkage and man does this baby turn now. It is like getting a brand new bike...very happy!! My 2cents.

David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts