Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling to motor on my 90 Honda Accord. While it's out, I'm probably going to put some new shocks. Is there any other things I should check out/replace while I've got all that easy access to all the parts? I've already replaced the outter tie rod ends (easy to do suprisingly). Anything to look at/check would be appreciated!

Thanks!

JM

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
Replace the engine mounts, even if they look ok. They lose their resiliency and under load allow the engine to move around. You should find driveability greatly improved with new mounts.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Replace the timing belt while it's out, too. It's much easier than when the engine is in the car.

I made the mistake of replacing the engine in a 92 Accord with a used one and not replacing the timing belt (I was in a big hurry because I didn't start the job until Sunday and it had to be finished before Monday). The old belt that came with the engine lasted exactly two days. :frown:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Look over the CV joints/boots. Replace any split boots and any joints that have consequently lost their protective grease. H*ll, anymore you can buy the whole new halfshaft assemblies with CV joints surprisingly cheap.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
south said:. H*ll, anymore you can buy the whole new halfshaft assemblies with CV joints surprisingly cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I've bought plenty of complete axle assemblies for under 50 bucks.

G

·
[ QUOTE ]
OldFatGuy said:
[ QUOTE ]
KawRidr6R said:
3 words: Type R Stickers

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously wants to upgrade the suspension before he starts putting out that much horsepower. :wink:

[/ QUOTE ]Type R Stickers are worth at least 10HP and a point off the areodynamic drag.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What about one of them great big fat coffee can exhaust tips? That's sure to help it breathe a little better. :laugh: :laugh:

In truth, what was already said will keep you busy a while. Timing belt, half shafts, and the engine mounts for sure. Make sure you set up the front struts correctly.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Look for Koni or KYB hi-po adjustable struts. Get a heavier swaybar and adjustable endlinks (if available). Replace all bushings with polyurethane ones. New progressive rate Eibach springs. Maybe 1" lower than stock. 17X6" rims w/ 205/40ZR17's (make sure they fit under full turn and suspension compression). Look for an upgrades halfshaft assembly (equal length ones if they make them for Hondas to reduce torque steer). Limited slip diff, HD shift linkage/cables (if manual), bigger brakes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts