Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started putting my -1 tooth front sprocket on my 2001 ZX6R today. Figured it would be an easy switch just like the ones I've done on Yamahas. Only one problem, I cant get it off ! I peeled the lock washer back so the nut would spin but no luck. I've tried turning it both directions and even used an impact gun on it. Nothing, wont budge. Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there some special trick for Kawasaki's or something? Any advice would be good advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
I had the same problem with my R1. Just turn it really hard.
I mean REALLY hard/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
The impact should have spun it right off ( counter-clockwise ) with age it has become a little attached to it.
Increase power to the impact.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Sounds stupid, but double check that you're turning it the right way - some are reverse-threaded. Also, give it a few shots of penetrating oil and let it sit for a while.

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
hey urluzn, what's involved in this?

Do you have to take the chain off, or just remove the sprocket cover and work with the chain loose around it?

"With Dr. Boogie, the diagnosis is always funk!"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At last!!!!!!!!! I finally got that sprocket off. I soaked it in penetrating lube over night and then put the impact back on it. It took like 3 minutes of constant impacting before it broke free. That was the strongest guy in Japan that put that thing on. ha ha I got the new one put on and man what a difference!!! I already went up 2 in the back. Should be pretty torquey. It was only 40 degrees today so I just messed around in town for a few minutes, cant wait until it gets warm again!! Well, thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey pudding7, you just loosen up the back wheel, slide it forward, take off the cover, push back the washer were it is bent over, remove the nut, and you should then be able to slide the sprocket off without removing the wheel. Then just do everything in reverse order to put in back on. Getting the nut loose is definatly the tough part. The work is without a doubt worth it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I hear going down 1 in the front is like 4-5 in the back. Anyone want to tell me more about it? I went 2 up in the back and nothing in the front. Havent picked up the bike yet but i was wondering if that even made a difference. How much will i feel the improvement? Thanks.

Oh, instead of starting another thread.. can someone discuss what most people do when changing sprockets etc, pros/cons of up and down in teeth etc etc.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Dropping 1 in the front is the same as adding 3 to the rear. Adding 3-4 to the rear increases weight and rotational mass, need a slightly longer chain sometimes(2-3 links?), and have to dismount the rear wheel. Dropping one in the front is easy, cheaper, creates a tighter turn with the smaller sprocket(possible breakage), and usually gets away with stock sized chain or dropping 1 link if replacing everything all together.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went up 2 in the back and down 1 in the front and it put the stock chain in same place as the stock sprockets.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
so given that the 1 tooth down can cause possible breakage and extra wear .. would it be more wise to go up in the back? I kinda want a comparison from people.. Can i get a poll please. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
couldn't crank it off with your manpower?! diizzaaamn hit the gym ******! and go to [link]http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com[/link] to avoid future embarrassment....sorry to keep pluggin that site, but i'm gonna post my workout results for the last 6 weeks on this program, and they're very impressive, you'll see and i hope i can make a few converts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
NemesisCBR, i went 2 up in the back on my 6r and the result was awsome. the bike pulls so hard and i don't see a loss on the top at all. although its not like i top out the bike every chance i get so who cares if you lose 3-5mph. going up in the rear also shortens the wheelbase which makes for sharper handling. (not really noticable, but it's true). you're gonna like it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Good info..thanks! You only went up in the back and not down in the front too right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the guys at Ohio Superbike set up there race bikes with the 1 down in front and 2 or 3 down in the back to get the most amount of usable power out of 600's without any breakage. I went down 1 on the front of my YZF600 five years and 20,000 miles ago without any problems. So if your considering going down 1 on the front i'd say go for it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Well got my bike back today and it runs smoother and nicer not to mention its good being able to open up once again. For the most part [so far] i havent noticed the difference in the sprocket when riding casual but i have noticed it wheelies better. I havent REALLY tried to yet because i felt a little disoriented after not riding for a week /images/icons/tongue.gif and it was night time. I have a feeling im going to like this though. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Went 2 up on the back. I dont feel a big difference yet but i havent put it to its potential yet. I do feel the front wheel float easier. /images/icons/smile.gif I just hope it doesnt bite too hard when im doing it. Where would i feel the most difference at?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i've noticed three things. 1)i really feel it when rolling on in 3rd an 4th. big difference. 2) 2nd gear clutch wheelies are effortless now when i use to have to tug hard on the bars. 3) be very careful when grabbing a handfull of gas in first. if the tires are cold your a$$ end will come around to see your front and if your tires are warm you'll be staring at your gas tank at eye level. i love the change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts