Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new front tire, so I went out to the garage today to pull the front wheel from my TT600. The pinch bolts were easy enough, but to remove the front axle I apparently need to apply a 17mm allen head to the left side of the axle. WTF?! I have never seen such a large allen head before. Are other Triumphs like this or is it just the TT600?

Anyhoo, I went to Sears and of course they did not have a 17mm allen head. CarQuest had a 17mm allen socket, but they wanted almost $20 for it /images/icons/shocked.gif They must know it's for a Triumph. I called BS on that and made my own tool out of a 17mm bolt and a couple of nuts. When the JB Weld holding it all together cures I'll have my own custom TT600 front axle tool (cost: $0.95).

So is this how it is going to be with my Triumph? Will I be purchasing/fabricating a lot of special tools?

-KeithU

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
At least you don't have one of the old Triumphs or you would be fabricating allot more than tools./images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
181 Posts
The front axle is the only one I have had to make. For style points, get Ti nuts and bolts. Then it is also a work of art!! Does the TT have all those damn torx fittings? I replaced the caliper bolts with Ti bolts, but may just leave the rest.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I just found a nut that was about 17mm on the out side and threaded it on to a bolt. Then welded the nut on the bolt. Then I had a 17mm alen I could use with a socket to get the axle loose. I can post a picture if needed.

“When the dogs are looking for their bones and it’s raining ice picks on your steel shores”

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's basically what I did 3banger, except that I don't have a welder so I used JB Weld to glue it all together.

-KeithU

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
None in my tool kit were even close to the right size /images/icons/frown.gif.

“When the dogs are looking for their bones and it’s raining ice picks on your steel shores”

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, there isn't anything in the TT600 toolkit either. The male end of the sparkplug wrench is *almost* the right size, but not quite. I hope that isn't what you are using because you'll strip the sh!t out of that axle head after a few R&Rs.

-KeithU

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
HAHA... the Triumph tool kit. The tools look like something you'd make in freshman shop class from left over scrap, all those little stamped out wrenches. Most other manufacturers, with the exception of BMW, probably have the same quality tools though.
I've had to do the same thing for another bike, use a bolt as a wrench, only I used two nuts to lock it as I didn't have a welder, or any JB weld on hand.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I tryed the lock nut trick first, could never get it tight enough to work. Have a welder at work, and even a crappy welder like my self could pull this welding job off /images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a 17mm allen wrench that I bought 5 years ago for the gear oil drain plug in my VW Jetta, I don't think it was that much money at Sears. The part number on the allen I have is 46666 and it's a craftsman maybe they can order you a wrench.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Snap On baby, Snap On!! I bought one of the nice polished ones from snap on, its actually for the old VW transmissions, but works great!

G

·
I need a new rear tire and just realized that I need a 46mm socket to get my rear wheel off (So I don't have to leave the bike at the dealer and get a ride home).
Anyone have any idea where to get one that large w/o ordering Triumph's or paying the Snap-On premium ?

Mmmm Squids. Chewy&Nutritious.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Keith you could of rented or borrowed it from Auto Zone! They do rent out tools, if they have the ones you need! They charge a deposit and you get it back when you return the tool!

G

·
955i: It turns out that the same 1-13/16" 3/4" drive socket you can buy at Sears for $20 works great in place of the elusive 46mm socket(If you have an impact wrench and abt 200+ Lb Ft of torque ready). It was TIGHT! but it's off now. Has anyone used D207s on their Daytona or Speed Triple? It's all my dealer has in 190x50-17.

G

·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is it really that hard to get metric tools down there?

<hr></blockquote>

Son, This is NASCAR country..."No replacement for Displacement" mentality.

Common metric tools are easy to find but anything above 19mm is an uncommon wrench outside of a specialty tool dealer. I haven't tried to get a 17mm hex/allen key yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts