Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,667 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

Ok, now that we're past Fonsi Nieto being teh uber suck...

Wow, I had no idea KTM was considering going it alone sans Team KR's help. What I don't get is, does that mean KTM can just take Team KR's existing chassis design and produce their own and call it the KTM bike, without crediting Team KR in the future? Since they already had an engine, and Team KR's chassis is often touted as very well done, did KTM do the deal to let Team KR test their engine, knowing they'd be able to backdoor into getting an already completed chassis they can take and reproduce for their own?

And, assuming D'Antin gets the KTM bike, they do realise they'd be crazy to sign Rolfo or Nieto, niether of whom have big bike experience. If I was Luis D'Antin I would be looking at what Aprilia was doing and try to sign Byrne. I bet Dorna would do anything (ie subsidize his transfer) to keep Shakey in the series for another couple years. They can't afford to lose a Brit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,621 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

The new Proton chassis is constructed of specially machined alloy pieces instead of the cast components of a "traditional" motorcycle chassis, and apparently incorporates F1 design and construction elements (courtesy of John Barnard, formerly of McLaren and Ferrari). I'm thinking there's a long way to go between possessing "a" chassis and fielding a legitimate MotoGP team.

Obviously, they'd need a spare bike--i.e. at least one more chassis--and, therefore, the ability to duplicate the chassis they already have.

They may not be set up for the specialized manufacturing process.

KR's website lists that the chassis is built by GP Motorsports (don't know exactly who they are), and, should KTM want to enlist their services, there may be some exclusivity contract in place between KR and GP Motorsports.

Regardless of how KTM were to go about actually building a duplicate chassis, there may be "intellectual property" issues with the chassis design, construction technique, and materials--i.e. while KR gave them a chassis to "do whatever they want to" with it, Team KR may still own rights--such as intellectual property rights--to the design, construction, and materials of the chassis, which would prevent KTM from legally duplicating it without permission/license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,667 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

[ QUOTE ]
south said:
The new Proton chassis is constructed of specially machined alloy pieces instead of the cast components of a "traditional" motorcycle chassis, and apparently incorporates F1 design and construction elements (courtesy of John Barnard, formerly of McLaren and Ferrari). I'm thinking there's a long way to go between possessing "a" chassis and fielding a legitimate MotoGP team.

Obviously, they'd need a spare bike--i.e. at least one more chassis--and, therefore, the ability to duplicate the chassis they already have.

They may not be set up for the specialized manufacturing process.

KR's website lists that the chassis is built by GP Motorsports (don't know exactly who they are), and, should KTM want to enlist their services, there may be some exclusivity contract in place between KR and GP Motorsports.

Regardless of how KTM were to go about actually building a duplicate chassis, there may be "intellectual property" issues with the chassis design, construction technique, and materials--i.e. while KR gave them a chassis to "do whatever they want to" with it, Team KR may still own rights--such as intellectual property rights--to the design, construction, and materials of the chassis, which would prevent KTM from legally duplicating it without permission/license.

[/ QUOTE ]


exactly what i was thinking. I have to imagine there are rules set up regarding the flow of designs from one "factory" to another, within the same class. I also could not believe that Team KR, who funded the design and fabricating with PROTON money would be allowed to then "hand it over" to KTM, all because they let them test an engine a few times. Some serious money has to be changing hands a few times over for this kind of thing to work. Regardless, I would prefer team KR get sponsorship and KTM enter the series as an engine builder ala BMW-Williams - as S1 has previously put forth. If Kenny can get good tires and the bike really can run with the big dogs, I'd imagine he could get some sort of sponsorship. Maybe an American beer company? One that does alot of sales inside and outside of the U.S.A., like Budweiser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,621 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

[ QUOTE ]
F4iHigh said:
I have to imagine there are rules set up regarding the flow of designs from one "factory" to another, within the same class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about MotoGP, but I know F1 has such rules. Sauber has been running year old Ferrari engines re-badged as "Petronas" units for years now; more recently, they've been using the whole rear of the prior year's Ferrari--motor, transmission, and rear suspension. Then, this past year, Sauber showed up with cars which looked d*mn near identical to the '03 Ferraris, prompting considerable hullabaloo amongst the 2nd tier teams and inquiries to the stewards, but the Saubers were officially judged to be sufficiently different from the year old Ferraris to be legal under the rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

So basicly, it all hinges on who comes up with the best sponsorship package, d'antin or KTM to decide if KTM runs with d'antin as a one bike team, or with KR as a 2 bike team. Both will be underfunded, unless Red Bull steps up big. Which I don't see after they bought that F1 team. Which I think was the dumbest thing they could have done, but I digress :rolling:

As for the Proton investment and not 'letting' another company have the frame that was developed under their sponsorship. I think you might find the frame belongs to KR and his engineering group, not to Proton. If Proton walks away from the team, the intelectual properties should stay in the team. That's just my opinion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,667 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:
So basicly, it all hinges on who comes up with the best sponsorship package, d'antin or KTM to decide if KTM runs with d'antin as a one bike team, or with KR as a 2 bike team. Both will be underfunded, unless Red Bull steps up big. Which I don't see after they bought that F1 team. Which I think was the dumbest thing they could have done, but I digress :rolling:

As for the Proton investment and not 'letting' another company have the frame that was developed under their sponsorship. I think you might find the frame belongs to KR and his engineering group, not to Proton. If Proton walks away from the team, the intelectual properties should stay in the team. That's just my opinion though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check this out, it speaks directly to your KTM/Red Bull point.


http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=6&nid=103676

[ QUOTE ]
Think of KTM and sponsorship and Red Bull automatically springs to mind, but with the company having recently acquired the Jaguar F1 team - and renamed it Red Bull Racing - they may be reluctant to divert financial resources to the premier two-wheeled world championship.

However, as one source close to the team explained, "a Red Bull F1 test session would run the MotoGP team for a year..."


[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I agree that the bike has been engineered & if Proton walks away, they walk away. I kind of forgot that they are just the sponsor, while Team KR is technically the "factory." So I guess that should be no hindrance to transfering the bike to KTM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
Re: FONSI, WSBK, KTM and all kinds o\' bombshells...!!!

I just have a hard time taking anything serious from a place called CRASH.net. But that's just me :lol:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top