Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting fully floating rotors on my ZX-9 (as well as a lightened rear rotor.) This bike is primarily a street ride, but it will see a dozen track days a year.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I warped my stockers last year at a track day, and went looking for replacements. After reading everyone's marketing BS, I had a real hard time deciding if there any real differences, and what those differences might be...

If you are primarily riding on the street, consider a stainless steel replacement. Irons are nice, but they take more TLC to keem them from rusting - i.e. you really need to go for a ride to dry them out after washing the bike, and if you are using pads with high metal content they can actually rust **together**... That goes for all iron rotors. Of course, Irons are MUCH less prone to fading at the track and will withstand VERY aggressive pad compounds which would eat S/S jobbies, so...

Anyways... Since I had so much trouble deciding, I sent eMails to the different manufacturers asking if they could clarify my questions. In the end, the Spiegler guys were the best - Their replys were quick, polite and patient. So I bought a set of Spiegler irons, and am VERY happy with them. (dis)Engagement is very smooth and they have GREAT power - It took me a couple weeks to reset myself 'cause I would constantly brake too early and have to speed up for the corners again... 1-finger stoppies are VERY possible. $680 for the pair, including new pads, lightweight mounting bolts, and shipping

Here's a pic I took the afternoon I installed them:

They do rattle around a bit, but I think that's actually pretty cool!

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
owwww...ahhhh....owww...ahhhhh....

yup that's on my list now....
see what you started.....

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm thinking of trying the EBC Pro-Lite rotors and pads. Has anybody used these ??????????

Iron Full floaters are the best...worth the extra maintenance......IMOP

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott. Did you deal with a company called, I think, Braking? Also, whose pads do you use?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Actually, Braking is a different company - I bought mine directly from Spiegler.

The Rotors came with mid-range Ferodos for break-in. These were VERY smooth, GREAT power and feel, but a little low on initial bite. I did miss the feeling if instand power, but liked how smoothly they engaged and disengaged - It upset the bike VERY little.

Next I tried EBC HHs - More power than the Ferodos I had on it before, but only when they were warm - I had to drag them a little to get some heat in them. As you could guess, they were clearly less powerful in the wet. Probably a good thing, but you have to keep that in mind and recalibrate yourself when the roads are wet.

I have a set of Carbonne Lorraine SBK3s in the garage. They'll be next.

Dave - I have 2 friends with EBCs, and they both like them a lot - One was a dealer install on a SuperHawk with S/S lines going on at the same time - The rider says they're in a totally different league from the stockers. The second guy installed them on his 97 CBR900RR - He likes them, and says they're clearly better than stock "But it's not a breathtaking difference." He also had to create shims to get the rotors centered in the calipers.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have EBC Pro-lite with HH pads on my 900RR. Huge difference. As I wrote previously, my bro's and I were out ripping up the canyon roads and I was doing tiny stoppies heading into corners...kinda like the AMA guys. God it was cool. Much less effort, much better results. Take your time getting used to your brakes though, I managed to lowside mine because some jackass pulled in front of me. Hit the front, locked the back, and the front braked so hard, the rear flew around and I lost it. Not fun.

ANyway...later

<font color=red>follow the leader..."he's on a honda, mine!"</font color=red>

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I've got a related question, I recently was given a link to TecMoto and they sell the buttons to convert your stock setup to floaters. How hard is it to switch out the buttons and would this give you the same deal as if you just bought the whole disc assembly? Pros/cons for this route?

Hard anodized buttons to convert brake rotors to full floating action - noticeably decreases rolling resistance! 20 piece set for 5mm thick rotors, includes washers and e-clips. £67.00

http://www.tecmoto.co.uk/
<font color=red>Italian Superbike Accessories</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Duc~ IIRC those buttons only work on rotors that have replaceable buttons in the first place. Lots of OEM ones do not, though Brembo I think does. It's not hard to do at all, and the only con I can see is that they'll rattle, but you own a Ducati and are used to that sort of thing /images/icons/laugh.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yep, most OEM rotors won't allow you to pop the buttons off, you'll end up with a rotor and the shoulder assembly and a need for some more rotors. Don't pop them off unless they can be. You'll be hurting otherwise.

<font color=red>follow the leader..."he's on a honda, mine!"</font color=red>

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Thanks guys. I "believe" the stock rotors on the bike are Brembo as I seem to recall seeing the logo embossed on them. I'll ask the shop to be sure.

I'm guessing that this would be a worthwhile upgrade for under $100.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanx Scott........I'm tying to get my 600 Slozuki' brakes to feel like the ones on my 996. The Duc has the racing iron full floaters and they work great...I can't say the same for the stock Suzuki's Tokico's/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Actually, Braking is a different company - I bought mine directly from Spiegler.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, thanks. I'm aware they are a different company. You stated that some people you called weren't worth doing business with. I was wondering if Braking was one of them.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I didn't say anyone wasn't worth doing business with - just that Spiegler was most responsive to my several lists of dumb questions... Basically, I'm no track demon and, as long as they fit properly, I'm sure I would have been happy with any of the major vendor's discs. I couldn't tell any significant difference between people's offerings, except that you could pay a LOT more for slightly lighter discs... I also had a price of $650 (the cost of new stockers plus pads) that helped me focus a bit - so WSB-spec jobbies were definitely out.

In the end I went with the guys I felt would best help me if I ever had a problem... Simple as that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts