Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody give me some idea of what performance changes I'll see with some Keihin 41mm Flatside Carb's installed on my Y2K ZX-7R?

·
Registered
748 Posts
They're Flat Slides, not sides. They'll give you increased top end once they're set up properlly (maybe as much as 10hp) but you'll lose all the fuelling below 4000RPM - might make the bike a handful if you're still planning to ride it on the street. You might also want to look at getting a gear driven cam conversion for it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
10 hp, not really. They will give you better throttle response than CV carbs, which most bike have. However they are tricky to tune and you must have an accelerator pump with them. With flatslides you control the opening of the slide, not the engine vacuum. A few more hp, but not ten..

·
Registered
170 Posts
flat slides are more for racing than for street. I think spindizzy is right you lose rideability in the lower Rpm which around town could make things pretty difficult.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use to have some flatslides on my ZX-6. They were set up great. There wasn't any real degradation in rideability around town. I just crank the throttle wide open at low speeds. The Flatsides may give you a few up top but they also give you harder acceleration, and once your rolling, it's instant throttle response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts